Re: [linuxham] fldigi-3.20.22 posted

  • Nuttenschleuder
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
      What were the changes from .21?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:50 PM, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

      http://www.w1hkj. com/

      Please note that the OS X dmg file is NOT universal.  It was built on a ppc64 and the dmg targets that hardware.  It will run on other h/w platforms, but it will be translated from ppc64 to your architecture at execution time.  That might be slower than you are willing to tolerate.  A universal dmg will be created as soon as possible.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ

    • Dick Kriss
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
        On 8/3/10 7:32 AM, "Nuttenschleuder" <nuttenschleuder@...> wrote:

        > What were the changes from .21?
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

        From Dave's 30-July-2010 QST

        fldigi Version 3.20.22

          TX file insertion
            * For both file insert and drag-n-drop insert into the Tx widget
              Change all occurrences of ^ to ^^.
            * Effect is to treat all dnd text as plain text without special fldigi
              control sequences.

          Xmlrpc Raw data
            * Added xmlrpc method, rxtx.get_data, which returns the contents
              of a char data buffer (max 256).  Data buffer contains all
              text received/transmitted since last query.  Caller responsible
              for separating the two.
            * Added xmlrpc method, rx.get_data, which returns the contents
              of a char buffer (max 256).  Data buffer contains all text
              received since last query.
            * Added xmlrpc method, tx.get_data, which returns the contents
              of a char buffer (max 256).  Data buffer contains all text
              transmitted since last query.

          Log Sort
            * Changed logbook sort to DATE / TIME-ON comparison
            * Changed logbook browser to show DATE / TIME-ON vice DATE / TIME-OFF

          Xmlrpc BS char
            Added new method to FTextTX to support backspace char from an external
        program.

          RsID
            * Added missing support code for patch c8ea4df
              This enables the encode and decode for the new RsID codes
            * Added Contestia 4/125 to menu and popup mode selector

      • Mitchel Baum
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
          Dave,

          Could the "non-universal" or ppc64 architecture be a reason that OS-X 10.6.4 on Intel platforms runs differently?
          If the code is translated to target environment on execution, could it be possible that different platforms operate differently?

          Could we try a build for "Intel" only? It would be nice to see if that has any effect.

          Mitch Baum / AF2M

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
            Group,

            The past few weeks have been very quiet and the HF bands almost dead but,
            In the next few days we could be in for a surprise! With the the current solar k index hovering between 0 and 1
            conditions have been rather poor. A recent CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) is purported to hit the earth sometime this week!

            Mitch Baum /AF2M_,_._,___

          • Andrew Neumeier
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
              Mich,

              I wanted to comment on recent conditions.  For a few months now, on and off, when I
              have time to operate, I've been working into Asia about 10pm, local time from NJ. on
              cw (20m).  Signals are sometimes weak, but occasionally quite strong.  This despite the pretty
              poor conditions.  Some of these contacts have included stations in central Russia, near
              the northern Chinese/Mongolian borders.   Don't know what has been happening on ssb or psk since I operate them sparingly.  Only using 90watts and a tri-bander.  So as you know, sometimes
              the bands seem dead but surprise us anyway.

              73,
              Andy

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
                Mitchel Baum wrote:
                Dave,

                Could the "non-universal" or ppc64 architecture be a reason that OS-X 10.6.4 on Intel platforms runs differently?
                The one posted now is a universal Mitch.  It contains ppc, ppc64, Intel and Intel64 code.
                If the code is translated to target environment on execution, could it be possible that different platforms operate differently?
                Only if it were built for a single architecture.  Dick pointed out that it that case the OS X program Rosetta is performing just in time code translation at the machine code level, see http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

                Could we try a build for "Intel" only? It would be nice to see if that has any effect.
                It's already in the Universal build

                Dave
              • kc2wqw
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
                  This past Saturday on 20m I managed to get my first DX contact with a guy in Northern Ireland on 5 watts SSB with my FT-817 and my homebrew buddipole in my back yard here in NJ.

                  For me CME's and the like just means VHF will open up.

                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Neumeier <ka2uqw@...> wrote:

                  > Mich,
                  >
                  > I wanted to comment on recent conditions. For a few months now, on and off,
                  > when I
                  > have time to operate, I've been working into Asia about 10pm, local time from
                  > NJ. on
                  > cw (20m). Signals are sometimes weak, but occasionally quite strong. This
                  > despite the pretty
                  > poor conditions. Some of these contacts have included stations in central
                  > Russia, near
                  > the northern Chinese/Mongolian borders. Don't know what has been happening on
                  > ssb or psk since I operate them sparingly. Only using 90watts and a
                  > tri-bander. So as you know, sometimes
                  > the bands seem dead but surprise us anyway.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Andy
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Mitchel Baum
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                    Andrew,

                    Even with a K of less than 3, last night was somewhat of a surprise! Low QRN and quiet conditions, yet I hade a few contacts to the west coast on 12m/17m SSB and reports of 579 to 599. I only run about 60 watts into one of two rather poor verticals, one an old 4BTV with 40m resonator and only 3 28 foot radials, the other an original version R5 at only 12 feet above ground on a fiberglass military pole. From Florida I can usually get to the central states on PSK31 or Olivia and I can get to East/Central Europe with good conditions on 20m. Last night was wonderful! I just through out a CQ and had many returns. Seems like the recent CME improved the conditions, even for just a few hours.

                    AF2M/ Mitch Baum

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                      Hi,

                      Well whatever the sunspot number and whatever the conditions appear to be, I try to make a habit of checking
                      the rotating beacons on 20m at 144.100 (cw) run by the Northern Cal. DX Assoc.  I tend to check it late in the
                      evening.  Am usually surprised to hear a number of beacons, often with no signal strength indicated on my rig.
                      Then down to the cw sub-band I go and try to make a few contacts.  Have been hearing a lot of psk too, I need
                      to check that out more often, as I am no doubt missing some dx.  As I have found on two meter ssb, and as you
                      no doubt know, the bands are open far more often than it seems.  It's part of the fun of the hobby.

                      73