Re: [linuxham] Debian 5.05 PulseAudio

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
      On 07/27/2010 03:06 PM, Jeff Sumner wrote:
      > Didn't see it in the readme:
      >
      > I built the latest FLDIGI on Debian Lenny (BPO kernel so I could finally, finally, finally have good CS46XX sound on ANY Linux!) and FLDIGI works fine- but not if I select the Pulseaudio device- I get an error:
      >
      > Pulseaudio error: Invalid argument.
      >
      > The "PortAudio" driver works fine and I'm able to use the software.
      >
      > It's not so serious- this is an ancient Thinkpad a20m and I'm not yet convinced I can use it on the air, but if anyone has any information or if there's something else I should be doing in the /etc/asound.conf, server string,&c., please let me know!
      >
      > I'm doing the Linux Dance right now- Debian Lenny is the only Linux with good sound on the laptop- even Windows sound doesn't work so well (though OS/2 sound drivers work better- it's not so useable for what I want to do) as the Lenny install, but of course, Lenny doesn't have a working DRM module for the Mach64 video- unlike Fedora. So I can have pretty good video ("Good enough") to watch movies that I can't hear very well, or I can have pretty good sound at pretty good volume and low frame rates...
      >
      > Did find a couple threads that spoke to possibly similar problems, but no solutions.
      > Thanks!

      > KC4FOX

      I have been testing Pulse on Debian testing for about a year now. I do
      not get any error messages at all.

      Lenny is getting a little long in the tooth, you might want to consider
      moving to testing.

      My A20 is gathering dust in the closet. The audio was so bad that I
      picked up a USB codec from Ebay for less than $5.

      I doubt seriously that you will get fldigi to run on the A20.

      Ed W3NR
    • Jeff Sumner
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
        Re: [linuxham] Debian 5.05 PulseAudio I did eventually upgrade to Squeeze, but the Backported kernel to Lenny is very different from the native one for Squeeze, and the audio again stopped working.

        The laptop is really an emotional thing- there’s nothing special about it but for being the first given to me at the current job, and really, for the most part works okay for writing (one of the best keyboards on any laptops, in my opinion) as well as... Well, it’s got great speakers on it and listening to music with Debian Lenny and the BPO kernel was great. Also, the native 5 hour battery life was pretty good (modern batteries offering twice the capacity of the originals)

        I went to Fedora for the graphics, but I’m left with original sound problems. I’ll be trying the USB SB device I bought for it with Fldigi again.

        I am a tad disappointed that a whole string of decent laptops can’t be fully supported by Linux in a way that I can figure out.

        Never got the “Invalid Argument” figured out.

        Anyway. FLDIGI works on the Dell D600 I have- this was just an experiment.

        Thanks!
        KC4FOX

        On 1 Aug 10 8:40 AM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

        On 07/27/2010 03:06 PM, Jeff Sumner wrote:
        > Didn't see it in the readme:
        >
        > I built the latest FLDIGI on Debian Lenny (BPO kernel so I could finally, finally, finally have good CS46XX sound on ANY Linux!) and FLDIGI works fine- but not if I select the Pulseaudio device- I get an error:
        >
        > Pulseaudio error: Invalid argument.
        >
        > The "PortAudio" driver works fine and I'm able to use the software.
        >
        > It's not so serious- this is an ancient Thinkpad a20m and I'm not yet convinced I can use it on the air, but if anyone has any information or if there's something else I should be doing in the /etc/asound.conf, server string,&c., please let me know!
        >
        > I'm doing the Linux Dance right now- Debian Lenny is the only Linux with good sound on the laptop- even Windows sound doesn't work so well (though OS/2 sound drivers work better- it's not so useable for what I want to do) as the Lenny install, but of course, Lenny doesn't have a working DRM module for the Mach64 video- unlike Fedora. So I can have pretty good video ("Good enough") to watch movies that I can't hear very well, or I can have pretty good sound at pretty good volume and low frame rates...
        >
        > Did find a couple threads that spoke to possibly similar problems, but no solutions.
        > Thanks!

        > KC4FOX

        I have been testing Pulse on Debian testing for about a year now. I do
        not get any error messages at all.

        Lenny is getting a little long in the tooth, you might want to consider
        moving to testing.

        My A20 is gathering dust in the closet. The audio was so bad that I
        picked up a USB codec from Ebay for less than $5.

        I doubt seriously that you will get fldigi to run on the A20.

        Ed W3NR

      • Gerald K. Sherman
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
          Re A20 Idiotic Blue Machines
          <Snip> My A20 is gathering dust in the closet
          I doubt seriously that you will get fldigi to run on the A20.
          <Snip>
          An A20 is a bit light for a boat anchor, a bit big for a paperweight, &
          too slow for anything else. That P3 processor only runs at 700 Mhz. & I
          know what they are like - I have one! It is running Win 2000
          Professional & takes so long to boot I sometimes wonder if it lost its
          boots.
          Gerry VE4GKS
        • "Glenn (KØBO)"
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
            Gerald K. Sherman wrote:
            > Re A20 Idiotic Blue Machines
            > <Snip> My A20 is gathering dust in the closet
            > I doubt seriously that you will get fldigi to run on the A20.
            > <Snip>
            > An A20 is a bit light for a boat anchor, a bit big for a paperweight, &
            > too slow for anything else. That P3 processor only runs at 700 Mhz. & I
            > know what they are like - I have one! It is running Win 2000
            > Professional & takes so long to boot I sometimes wonder if it lost its
            > boots.
            > Gerry VE4GKS

            I have an A20 running dabian and fldigi just great. before you toss that
            boatanchor, I suggest giving it a try.

            It's like getting a free laptop!

            73! K0BO
          • Jeff Sumner
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
              Re: [linuxham] Debian 5.05 PulseAudio

              I have an A20 running dabian and fldigi just great. before you toss that
              boatanchor, I suggest giving it a try.

              It's like getting a free laptop!

              73!  K0BO

              I’ve put it away for now- in favor of those machines that are working well. I’ll get back to it when I tire of ‘easy computing.’
              Thanks all!