OS X hint

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
      It is sometimes difficult to find the hidden fldigi folders using the OS X Finder application.  It is equally if not more difficult to negotiate around the folders when using one of fldigi's file locate dialogs.

      Here is a way around that problem.

      fldigi maintains two sets of hidden folders in your $HOME folder; ".flidig" and ".nbems".  If you are using flrig you will find it's configuration and data files in ".flrig".  The leading dot causes the folder (or file) to be hidden from view.

      Open up a Terminal Window.  From the command line enter the following sequence

      cd
      ln -s .fldigi fldigi.files
      ln -s .nbems nbems.files
      ln -s .flrig flrig.files

      This creates three new folders that are actually links to the actual folders.  The "ln" command is the link command, and the "-s" switch tells the linker to create a "symbolic" link.

      Close the Terminal Window and open up Finder.  You should see the three new folders.  Double click on any one and it will open up to the actual folder

      These folder links will also be visible from any of fldigi's file locate dialogs.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
      (new OS X user)
    • Dave Wright
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
        Welcome to the world of OS X, Dave!

        I was a die-hard Linux user, but now love OS X.  All the strengths of Linux and none of the headaches....although I appreciated the headaches as a problem-solving exercise.

        Now, if we could get better Fldigi integration with some of the OS X apps.  DL2RUM added some basic support (CAT control sharing and some basic data transfer between RUMlog and Fldigi) with more promised down the way a bit.  I would love to see full support for W7AY's uRouter software, to include CAT control, and eventually some level of integration/sharing with MacLoggerDX, but all of those efforts would need to be a two-way road, I know.

        In any case, thanks for all you've done and enjoy OS X!

        Dave
        K3DCW

        On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

[...]

        www.k3dcw.net

        "Real radio bounces off of the sky"
      • Dino Papas

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
            Dino Papas wrote:
            Ahhhhh, I knew he'd come over to the "dark side" sooner or later!  ;-)

            Welcome to our Macworld Dave!  And thanks for the tip....worked like a charm.

            73 - Dino KL0S
            Glad it worked for you Dino.

            I have 5 computers sitting in front of me.  The Ubuntu development system, a Vista desktop, an Ubuntu / Puppy notebook, an XP  / Ubuntu netbook and now the OS X mini-mac that is a ppc64 running 10.5.

            The min-mac was a gift from one of the long time supporters of fldigi on OS X, N4ZNV.  Mike has kindly provide secure shell access to a development machine at his office for the past 2 years.  Stelios, M0GLD, worked his machine from across the big pond getting all of the development tools set up correctly.  Eventually I hope to be able to create the dmg's on this mini-mac.  In the meantime I can test and learn some of the differences between Unix and OS X.

            73, Dave, W1HKJ

          • Mitchel Baum
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3 10:04 AM
              Dave,

              One additional thing that I noticed:

              When fldigi (or any other errant application) crashes and reports a return code of some high number (such as 139), this usually means that OSX did not implement that particular system call.

              I suspect that this may happen with any application that is not compiled with X-Code (for OS-X) or the internal IDE used by X-Code.
              This will force a rather ungraceful migration away from the fltk environment, but I think that compiling at least one major release under the X-Code IDE would serve to filter out any un-handled code.

              Fldigi is wonderful, but I am still wondering why callsign lookup in OS-X does not populate from existing logs even though the record (callsign) is found and the mouse-over displays the information found correctly.

              I am a fan of the KISS method of doing things, so the symbolic linking was just an outcropping of this idea. Maybe the code for installation could create the links automatically in future releases?

              73 de AF2M / Mitch Baum

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3 10:19 AM
                Mitchel Baum wrote:
                Dave,

                One additional thing that I noticed:

                When fldigi (or any other errant application) crashes and reports a return code of some high number (such as 139), this usually means that OSX did not implement that particular system call.

                I suspect that this may happen with any application that is not compiled with X-Code (for OS-X)
                fldigi is compiled with Xcode
                or the internal IDE used by X-Code.
                But not the internal IDE.
                This will force a rather ungraceful migration away from the fltk environment, but I think that compiling at least one major release under the X-Code IDE would serve to filter out any un-handled code.

                Fldigi is wonderful, but I am still wondering why callsign lookup in OS-X does not populate from existing logs even though the record (callsign) is found and the mouse-over displays the information found correctly.
                I can not test for that problem on the mini-mac sitting on my desk Mitch.  I'll put it on the list.