- Nov 21, 2013View Source
In my case, the digital modes varies: Olivia 8-500, mFSK-32 on HF, and typically one of the PSK multi (125RC10) on VHF/UHF.
I've never explicitly set fonts in any of the versions prior. I have now gone ahead and made that change and will see how things go. BTW, I did have my waterfall customized to 160 instead of 150, so I backed up to the default maximum as well.
thanks for the advice - will see what happens.
---In firstname.lastname@example.org, <w1hkj@...> wrote:Which digital mode?
What font are you using?
I test on my 10.6.8 mini, 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB memory.
RxTx fonts set to UTF-8, Menlo Regular, size 16
Same sound card interface.
With the waterfall set to 150 pixels for the height, the main dialog expanded to full screen size, the waterfall expansion at x4, the cpu% is
30% multi-channel viewer closed
40% multi-channel viewer open
43% with both multi-channel viewer and signal browser dialog opened
Opening / Closing signal browser dialog, toggling the View/Hide Channels, or changing the horizontal width of the Channel viewer does not cause a program crash.
I suspect that the font you are using is corrupt. That issue has been seen by other OS X users.
73, Dave, W1HKJ
On 11/21/2013 07:02 AM, kb3yck@... wrote:
Regarding the freeze on the waterfall - I've noticed that with the 77 version, it seems to happen in a relatively repeatable manner. On VHF/UHF, no squelch, waterfall display set as 2x or 4x, and a high amount of "diddle" being detected. The waterfall will freeze. At the same time CPU load on my mac mini climbs substantially -- the fonts daemon is consuming the time.
On HF, due to a compromise antenna, I have to tweak the detection values significantly to pull out some signals. Same situation as UHF/VHF, I've got squelch disabled and slider all the way down, and the waterfall display is a 2x or 4x view. Same symptoms as above -- waterfall will freeze, cpu load goes high, and fonts daemon is getting all the cycles.
It seems as if somehow the system is getting something in the diddle that it cannot figure out how to represent the character, so the fontd daemon goes a little crazy for a bit trying to find a font set that will match.
I've seen this behavior on a mac mini running Mac OSX 10.8.5 as well as 10.9, and a Macbook Pro running 10.8.5 and now 10.9 as well. I've run through the font utility to look for bad/missing/broken fonts, and can locate nothing on any of the systems experiencing this behavior.
Dave -- if you want a specific debug file, please let me know. I believe I've got the script correct to start up fldigit to capture things into a file for you.
BTW -- on none of my systems do I have anything attached other than a USB SignalLink - no radio, rotor, or anything else.
---In email@example.com, <aa5vu@...> wrote:
On Nov 21, 2013, at 5:05 AM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 pm (PST) . Posted by:Hi
I’m running OX 10.9 with a 2.7GHz iMac.
When I run Fldigi in PSK31 and try to 'view channels’, the program closes. Curiously though the first time I ran it, it worked!
I also find that occasionaly the waterfall screen freezes when changing modes. I’m using Fldigi 3.21.77.
Does anyone have any suggestions for fixes?
GW4BCFHi Fred,I am using OS X 10.9.1 on a 27-inch 2.7 GHz iMac and cannot make fldigi-3.21.77 or 3.22OCM close when changing modes. I tried it several time and cannot duplicate the issue you describe.For normal operation, I keep the “View/Hide channels” in the Hide mode but to test for what you observed I changed to View and also went to http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/signal-browser.html to be sure I was doing it correct.The same applies to the waterfall screen freezes as you change modes. I have never seen that; however, I have seen waterfall screen freezes while operation in contest mode. When it happens, I quit and restart fldigi and the waterfall restarts. I think this may be Mac OS issue or something to with the USB Audio CODEC interface.I suspect something may be hosed in your .xml file. Try this and see if the problem goes away. Open your .fldigi folder and right-click on fldigi_def.xml and fldigi. prefs files and select the “Compress…" option. Then move two (not zipped) files to trash and restart fldigi. This will let you start over and create clean .xml and .prefs files. If the problem goes away you may have has some file corruption. You should then move the two .zip files to the trash and flush. If the problem is still there, quit fldigi, trash the new .xml and .prefs files and the click on the two zipped files and you will be back to where you started.Good luck!Dick AA5VU