Linux / SMART Training Opportunity

  • Chris Poldervaart
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      I apologize in advance for the all-caps message...but this post is derived from a National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NLETS) message that I sent out today.

      This training is open to anyone who is interested, so let me know if you are so that we can decide if we are even going to have it.

      ATTN: COMPUTER FORENSICS AND INVESTIGATION DIVISIONS

      THE NATRONA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE IN CASPER, WY IS CONSIDERING HOSTING A 5-DAY INTENSIVE LINUX/SMART FORENSICS COURSE TO BE TAUGHT BY ANDREW ROSEN FROM ASR DATA, INC. THE COURSE WILL FOCUS ON THE LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM AS A PRIMARY FORENSIC PLATFORM AS WELL AS THE USE OF ASR DATA'S LINUX FORENSIC TOOL, SMART (STORAGE-MEDIA-ANALYSIS-RECOVERY-TOOLKIT). THE COURSE WILL COVER BEGINNING TO ADVANCED TOPICS, INCLUDING BASIC LINUX FUNDAMENTALS, CUSTOM KERNEL BUILDS, AND ADVANCED TECHNIQUES. STUDENTS SHOULD LEAVE THE COURSE WITH THE ABILITY TO CONDUCT A COMPLETE FORENSIC EXAMINATION USING THE LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM AND SMART.

      ANDREW ROSEN IS CONSIDERED A PIONEER IN THE FIELD OF COMPUTER FORENSICS. HE WAS AWARDED THE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD BY HTCIA FOR HIS CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE COMPUTER FORENSICS ARENA. HIS COMPANY CONDUCTED THE FORENSIC ANALYSIS OF THE COMPUTERS FROM THE ENRON/ARTHUR ANDERSON CASE, AND HE IS THE CREATOR OF EXPERT WITNESS FOR WINDOWS, NOW SOLD UNDER THE NAME ENCASE.

      TRAINING COMPUTERS WILL BE PROVIDED FOR THE COURSE. COST IS EXPECTED TO BE $2000 PER STUDENT ($3,000 FOR NON LAW-ENFORCEMENT), WHICH INCLUDES A REGISTERED COPY OF THE SMART SOFTWARE. REGISTERED SMART USERS WHO WILL NOT NEED TO PURCHASE THE SOFTWARE WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND FOR A LESSER AMOUNT. NO TENTATIVE DATE HAS BEEN SET AS OF YET, AND THE COURSE WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE IF SUFFICIENT INTEREST IS GENERATED.

      INTERESTED PERSONS SHOULD CONTACT CHRIS POLDERVAART AT THE NATRONA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE, 307-235-9282 OR POLDC@... AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO THAT WE CAN DETERMINE THE LEVEL OF INTEREST IN SUCH A COURSE. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ANDREW ROSEN, ASR DATA, AND SMART CAN BE OBTAINED AT WWW.ASRDATA.COM.