Re: Do Either SleuthKit or AFF use or support "pexec" within Linux ?

  • Harvey Rothenberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      Dr. Garfinkel and Mr. Carrier,

      Let me ask you this, do AFF and The Sleuth Kit take advantage of "Multi-Threaded Programming and the use of POSIX Threads ?  I would guess that it does.  I know that this technique of programming is a tough one to implement,  but the gains are suppose to be worth it.  Just like modular programming is also a great technique.

      You said, " pexec is not an operation system feature. It is a job distribution system.", but would this not again be considered still part of the operating systems structure ? I know in Mainframe systems that this is definitely part of the system,  even as an add on feature.  To this point,  I still have not seen any similar such structures from Mainframes implemented within Unix like JCL.

      I thank you again for your time.

      Regards,

      Harvey Rothenberg

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
        On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Harvey Rothenberg wrote:

        > Dr. Garfinkel and Mr. Carrier,
        >
        > Let me ask you this, do AFF and The Sleuth Kit take advantage of "Multi-Threaded Programming and the use of POSIX Threads ?

        No, they do not.

        > I would guess that it does.

        You are incorrect.

        > I know that this technique of programming is a tough one to implement, but the gains are suppose to be worth it. Just like modular programming is also a great technique.
        >
        > You said, " pexec is not an operation system feature. It is a job distribution system.", but would this not again be considered still part of the operating systems structure ? I know in Mainframe systems that this is definitely part of the system, even as an add on feature. To this point, I still have not seen any similar such structures from Mainframes implemented within Unix like JCL.
        >
        > I thank you again for your time.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Harvey Rothenberg

      • Harvey Rothenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
          Thank You ! for this response and your time regarding my inquiry.

          Regards,
          Harvey Rothenberg

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
            On Jun 1, 2011, at 11:39 AM, Simson Garfinkel wrote:

            > On Jun 1, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Harvey Rothenberg wrote:
            >
            >> Dr. Garfinkel and Mr. Carrier,
            >>
            >> Let me ask you this, do AFF and The Sleuth Kit take advantage of "Multi-Threaded Programming and the use of POSIX Threads ?
            >
            > No, they do not.

            Slight correction. The trunk version (which has not yet been released) has multi-threaded support. There is no planned release date for it yet though, but you can get it from the svn repo if you want to try it.

            brian