Announcing bulk_extractor Release version 0.3.0 (with multi threading)

  • Simson Garfinkel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2010
      I am pleased to announce the release of bulk_extractor 0.3.0,
      available immediately for Windows, MacOS and Linux.

      bulk_extractor is a fast feature extractor and histogram analysis
      tool. This program operates below the file level, extracting email
      addresses, URLs, Cookies, credit card numbers, and other information
      from disk images. bulk_extractor has native support for raw, AFF and
      E01 file formats, allowing you to start extracting immediately without
      file conversion.

      bulk_extractor 0.3.0 adds multi-threading support. This is important,
      as most extractions are CPU-bound, not I/O bound. Multi-core support
      allows you to turn any CPU-bound task into an I/O bound
      task. Multi-core support is available on all platforms.

      Performance with the multi-core support is quite exciting. A recent
      extraction of a 17GB E01 file required approximately 70
      minutes. Running the same extraction with the "-j4" flag (run
      4 simultaneous extractions, each on its own core)
      lowered the the time to just 18 minutes.

      You can download bulk_extractor from http://afflib.org/.

      The precompiled version for Windows can be downloaded from
      http://afflib.org/downloads/bulk_extractor-0.3.0.exe

      Demos of bulk_extractor can be found at:
      http://afflib.org/bulk_extractor_demos/