Re: Data recovery hardware recommendations

  • ray_velez
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2009
      --- In linux_forensics@yahoogroups.com, "skyphyr@..." <skyphyr@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm an experienced linux user/developer/sysadmin and am looking to work up a bit of knowledge (and experience) with regards to performing data recovery on linux.
      >
      > My searches so far for information all tend to lead to sites trying to flog a product which is bundled with software. (Almost always for windows, sometimes OS X). I was hoping people here may be able to steer me towards kit suited for working with linux and the FLOSS options we have for digital forensics.
      >
      > I'm after a setup for the full spectrum from dumping and diagnosing firmware, through platter replacement tools and platter readers. Any advice or suggestions you can provide with regards to kit and which apps I should get familiar with first (being the most I've done with data recovery is dd-rescue to pull data from a failing hard drive) would be awesome.
      >
      > Thanks for your time.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Alan.

      Alan,

      All the comments you've gotten so far are on point.

      If what your looking for is low cost or no cost tools your in for a rude awakening. Most of these tools have a cost associated with them and very few are budget tools.

      If the job your performing is forensic, corporate or for law enforcement, then you must follow accepted forensic procedures that will stand-up to court (civil/criminal) challenges.

      If the job at hand is forensic and available software tools are unable to recover data due to malfunctioning hardware then data recovery is a viable alternative.

      There are two outfits that offer tools needed to perform data recovery:

      www.acelaboratory.com - has tools capable of firmware diagnostic and repairs

      www.salvationdata.com - has tools for head stack and platter exchange

      Don't forget some of these tools require a cleanroom environment, another high cost.

      Hope this helps.