CD Imaging

  • Simson Garfinkel
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
      I have about 400 CDs that I need to image and am looking for a good
      tool to do it.

      In particular:

      #1 I would like to read ALL of the CD sessions, rather than the last
      one.

      #2 If there are scratches or errors, I'd like to be able to revert on
      a sector-by-sector basis and get the Red Book codes, then have a
      program that converts to the actual codes.

      Is there any software out there that will do #1 or #2? Anything for
      Linux? I've traditionally just used "dd", and that just reads the last
      session.

      Thanks.
    • Nanni Bassetti
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
        Hi Simon,
        I know that you can mount the cds by the cdfs, so you can list all the
        sessions:

        mount -t cdfs -o ro /dev/hdx /media/cdfs
        ls -l /media/cdfs
        session1.iso
        session2.iso

        and then you can copy them or mount them:
        mount -t iso9660 -o loop /iso/session1.iso /media/loop1
        ..

        For the scratches or errors maybe this:
        http://dvdisaster.net/en/

        I hope it can help ;)
        Dott. Nanni Bassetti
        Consulente Informatico
        http://www.nannibassetti.com/
        Cell. +39-3476587097
        CFI - http://www.cfitaly.net
        INDAGINI DIGITALI - http://www.lulu.com/content/1356430
        Selective File Dumper - http://sfdumper.sourceforge.net/

        --
        Io utilizzo la versione gratuita di SPAMfighter. Siamo una comunità di 6 milioni di utenti che combattono lo spam.
        Sino ad ora

          Hi Simson,

          Matthew Shannon wrote a short article on accessing multi-session CDs
          http://www.agilerm.net/linux1.html

          As or #2, hmm cd/dvd inspector, but it is a Windows based tool.

          Regards,
          Jon.

          Simson Garfinkel wrote:
          > I have about 400 CDs that I need to image and am looking for a good
          > tool to do it.
          >
          > In particular:
          >
          > #1 I would like to read ALL of the CD sessions, rather than the last
          > one.
          >
          > #2 If there are scratches or errors, I'd like to be able to revert on
          > a sector-by-sector basis and get the Red Book codes, then have a
          > program that converts to the actual codes.
          >
          > Is there any software out there that will do #1 or #2? Anything for
          > Linux? I've traditionally just used "dd", and that just reads the last
          > session.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • farmerdude
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
            Hi Simson,

            I do not know if you've already explored this application or not, but on
            the odds that you have not check out:

            cdfs
            "CDfs is a file system for Linux systems that `exports' all tracks and
            boot images on a CD as normal files"
            http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/

            It's been included on both THE FARMER'S BOOT CD and SMART Linux Boot CD,
            and I explore it in one of my training courses. Give it a whirl and see
            if it resolves #1 for you.

            For #2, have you tested GNU's ddrescue?

            Cheers!

            farmerdude

            http://www.forensicbootcd.com

            http://www.onlineforensictraining.com

            On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 11:36 -0800, Simson Garfinkel wrote:
            > I have about 400 CDs that I need to image and am looking for a good
            > tool to do it.
            >
            > In particular:
            >
            > #1 I would like to read ALL of the CD sessions, rather than the last
            > one.
            >
            > #2 If there are scratches or errors, I'd like to be able to revert on
            > a sector-by-sector basis and get the Red Book codes, then have a
            > program that converts to the actual codes.
            >
            > Is there any software out there that will do #1 or #2? Anything for
            > Linux? I've traditionally just used "dd", and that just reads the
            > last
            > session.
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Robby Workman
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
              On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:37:42 -0500
              farmerdude <subscribe@...> wrote:

              > I do not know if you've already explored this application or not, but
              > on the odds that you have not check out:
              >
              > cdfs
              > "CDfs is a file system for Linux systems that `exports' all tracks and
              > boot images on a CD as normal files"
              > http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/
              >
              > It's been included on both THE FARMER'S BOOT CD and SMART Linux Boot
              > CD, and I explore it in one of my training courses. Give it a whirl
              > and see if it resolves #1 for you.

              Nice; I'd never seen this one before.

              The current release (version 2.6.27) won't compile on 2.6.28.x kernels,
              but it's an easy fix made even easier with Google... :-) Anyway, for
              anyone who happens to be on Slackware and wants to give it a shot, have
              a look at http://slackware.com/~rworkman/cdfs/

              Barry, I've already sent this one to SBo, but you're more than welcome
              to take over it if you'd like :-)

              -RW

            • Grundy, Barry J. (HQ-WIM51)
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
                > Barry, I've already sent this one to SBo, but you're more than welcome
                > to take over it if you'd like :-)
                >
                > -RW

                No problem... I don't' mind at all. It's been a couple of years since
                I've used cdfs, but that will prolly be changing here real soon. Make
                the change on SBo and I'll put it in my build dir.

                We had a lot of fun with cdfs in one of my classes a couple of years
                ago...it's a pretty useful tool for those who have not tried it.

                Thanks,
                Barry

                Special Agent Barry J. Grundy
                Resident Agent in Charge
                NASA Office of Inspector General
                Computer Crimes Division
                Eastern Region
                (301)286-3358 (w)
                (202)246-6497 (c)
                ! WARNING ! This email including any attachments is intended only for
                authorized recipients. Recipients may only forward this information as
                authorized. This email may contain non-public information that is "Law
                Enforcement Sensitive," "Sensitive but Unclassified," or otherwise
                subject to the Privacy Act and/or legal and other applicable privileges
                that restrict release without appropriate legal authority and clearance.
                Accordingly, the use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of
                this information to or by unauthorized or unintended recipients,
                including but not limited to non-NASA recipients, may be unlawful.