Re: [linux_forensics] Re: Indexing the contents of files with cat command

  • farmerdude
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008
      On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 19:14 +0000, Mark wrote:
      > Thanks for this advice. I don't mind to pay for a personal license
      > with regard to Glimpse, but when it works well I want to distribute
      > my stuff amongst LE colleagues and in that case licenses are
      > difficult (well, not so difficult but free open source is really what
      > I'm after ...)

      I can't stress this enough, often you get what you pay for in life.

      The lure of a free application now may lead to ultimate frustration in
      two years time ... as you revisit potential solutions, evaluate them,
      and then re-invest resources (time (and time is money), money, etc.)
      down the road because the free application developed by 1 or 3 folks has
      been abandoned, and it's no longer viable / relevant / suited to your
      changing needs.

      This is where commercial applications often shine over free
      applications.

      I hope that folks are basing decisions on applications they use on
      something more than if there is a financial cost associated with the
      application.

      And Mark, this is not personal to you, it's just a general brain
      dropping :)

      Cheers!

      farmerdude

      http://www.onlineforensictraining.com

      http://www.forensicbootcd.com

      --
      This e-mail message and all attachments may contain legally privileged