Re: Helix

  • sbeyeforhire
    Message 1 of 65 , Apr 1 1:36 AM
      Would using a bootloader other than GRUB help with the error problem?

      On 3/12/08, Alfred Tims <timsal-1@...<timsal-1%40linuxmail.org>>
      wrote:
      Hi,
      Try doing a md5 hash first on the .iso images (to check their
      integrity)
      before burning them to a cd and booting them !
      Regarding error 25 - it refers to a 'disk-read' error, which might
      suggest
      either mechanical or electronic failure on the hard disk.
      defective RAM.
      Keep trying, you always succeed - finally !
      Best of luck !
      t1nt1n

      Message 65 of 65 , Jul 30, 2008
        digitalquincy wrote:
        >> Q: Given that the mount will attempt a write,
        >> does the read-only loopback device (/dev/loop0)
        >> silently ignore writes? I would have thought
        >> that it would issue some sort of "permission denied" error.
        >
        > It does (or did) for Reiser - the rest just kept on truckin.
        >
        > One more reason I'm glad Hans Resier is in prison!

        And we'll know in fourteen days time how much longer we're safe from this
        guy..... I have seriously bad memories of using reiserfs on a production
        server, kinda eerie to think I exchanged mails with the guy at the time when
        trying in vein to recover the filesystem....

        -Enda.