Earlier index.dat files?

  • devorg
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2005
      Looking at a drive and I can't locate the index.dat files for Internet
      History.

      MS Internet Explorer version 3 was used here mostly.

      I know I should be looking for something diferent than index.dat but
      can't think what it is.

      (xxx - numbers.dat)?

      ~~~~
      I'm restricted in what sites I can go to at the moment (and can't
      search easily) so I'm lucky I could post here if it hits at all.
    • Christine Siedsma
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
        Greetings,

        Maybe you are thinking of Mm256.dat and Mm2048.dat Files

        Quote: The Mm256.dat and Mm2048.dat files are cache files used by
        Internet Explorer...Note that in Internet Explorer 4.0, the Index.dat
        file in the Temporary Internet Files folder performs this function.

        See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=178702 (if you can)

        Regards,

        Christine Siedsma
        www.e-evidence.info
        Program Director
        Computer Forensic Research & Development Center at Utica College

        > Looking at a drive and I can't locate the index.dat files for
        > Internet
        > History.
        >
        > MS Internet Explorer version 3 was used here mostly.
        >
        > I know I should be looking for something diferent than index.dat
        > but
        > can't think what it is.
        >
        > (xxx - numbers.dat)?
        >
        > ~~~~
        > I'm restricted in what sites I can go to at the moment (and can't
        > search easily) so I'm lucky I could post here if it hits at all.

        > ~-->
        > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/M4xqlB/TM

      • IanC
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
          Thanks Christine. Those are the ones. They were empty though so I thought I
          was looking at the wrong files.

          > Greetings,
          >
          > Maybe you are thinking of Mm256.dat and Mm2048.dat Files
          >
          > Quote: The Mm256.dat and Mm2048.dat files are cache files
          > used by Internet Explorer...Note that in Internet Explorer
          > 4.0, the Index.dat file in the Temporary Internet Files
          > folder performs this function.
          >
          > See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=178702 (if you can)
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Christine Siedsma
          > www.e-evidence.info
          > Program Director
          > Computer Forensic Research & Development Center at Utica College

        • The Dog's Bollix
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005
            If those files were empty, and the computer HAD been used to access the web, then there's a strong shot that a "cleaner" was used. Almost all advertise to clear IE's .dat files.....

            Tony...

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2005
              There's no indication that a cleaner was used at all so I think Internet
              Explorer was set to use the minimum amount of disk space for historic files,
              thus the index.dat (the Mmxxx.dat) files were extremely small/empty.

              I know recent versions of IE has this option to restrict what Temp Int Files
              it retains (much lower than a systems default IE setting) but I can't
              remember if IE3 could do this. I would think it could have done.

              Problem I had (have) was that I was examining this drive in a place without
              an internet connection, so I couldn't research too much and I couldn't take
              images out of that office so (in regards to browser Internet Activity) I
              just grabbed all the .dat files I could, thinking they would give me the
              info I wanted. But of course they didn't.

              I don't think I goofed up anywhere (although I was a little concerned to
              start with). I just now believe there was no data to see.