Re: Kernel 2.2.1 upgrade problems

  • Shay Harding
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
      On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, you wrote:
      >From: WORLOK <worlok@...>
      >
      >Greetings,
      >
      >I compiled the 2.2.1 kernel and installed it as a secondary kernel, so that I
      >can still boot into 2.0.36. Thank God I did. I find that the 2.2.1 kernel is
      >way faster than the old one. My system is almost twice as fast opening
      >programs, and drawing windows (etc..) in X. Beautiful.
      >
      >The weird thing is that I can't mount my CDROMS! I have no problems with the
      >old kernel. I compiled in all IDE/ATAPI/SCSI support. Can't figure out what is
      >going on. Anybody else see anything like this?
      >
      >I reconfigured and recompiled it a few times, made it clean, etc... Same
      >problems.
      >
      >Everything else works.

      Wish I could say the same. I compiled 2.2.0 and it booted fine although it
      doesn't recognize my Parallel port ZIP any more and I couldn't telnet/ftp out?

      I used the same exact setup as when I compiled 2.036.

      >Oh, and if anyone knows what might cause this: For either kernel, all of a
      >sudden man doesn't work. If I man to the /path-to-manpage, it works. If I just
      >type in man "command", she doesn't work.
      >
      >I haven't done anything with man. How can I fix man???

      Try the following from the command line (best to add to .bash_profile or
      ..login):

      export MAN_PATH=/usr/man:$MAN_PATH

      The /usr/man is the main path to your man pages and $MAN_PATH is to preserve
      any paths already specified if any. Best to just add the following in your
      login:

      MAN_PATH=$MAN_PATH:/usr/man
      export MAN_PATH

      --

      Shay Harding
    • Patrick Davalan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
        Hi ,

        a pretty good idea was to keep 2.0.36 booting !

        ----- Forwarded message from Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@...> -----

        Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 05:41:59 +0000
        Sender: Bugtraq List <BUGTRAQ@...>
        From: Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@...>
        Subject: 2.2.0 SECURITY (fwd)
        To: BUGTRAQ@...

        A bug has been discovered in the recently released Linux 2.2.0. I suggest
        going back to Linux 2.0.36 until this nasty bug is fixed.

        It was later realized that this bug DOES also affect Linux 2.2.0ac1, but
        only if the core file has permissions 600.

        KeyID 1024D/73348CA0
        Fingerprint 8EFC 7F10 F26C 55A8 458A 38B0 890F 384F 7334 8CA0
        Public key available at http://www.vitelus.com/aaronl/pubkey.asc