Re: Kernel 2.2.1 upgrade problems

  • WORLOK
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 1999
      I did compile in ISO9660 support.

      I have a Celeron 300a running at 450mhz, 128mb PC100 RAM, 6.4 gb Maxtor UDMA hdd
      (for my Linux dist, still using PCI video card (Hercules Stingray 128-3d).

      --
      Windows NT has crashed,
      I am the Blue Screen of Death,
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
        On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, you wrote:
        >From: WORLOK <worlok@...>
        >
        >Greetings,
        >
        >I compiled the 2.2.1 kernel and installed it as a secondary kernel, so that I
        >can still boot into 2.0.36. Thank God I did. I find that the 2.2.1 kernel is
        >way faster than the old one. My system is almost twice as fast opening
        >programs, and drawing windows (etc..) in X. Beautiful.
        >
        >The weird thing is that I can't mount my CDROMS! I have no problems with the
        >old kernel. I compiled in all IDE/ATAPI/SCSI support. Can't figure out what is
        >going on. Anybody else see anything like this?
        >
        >I reconfigured and recompiled it a few times, made it clean, etc... Same
        >problems.
        >
        >Everything else works.

        Wish I could say the same. I compiled 2.2.0 and it booted fine although it
        doesn't recognize my Parallel port ZIP any more and I couldn't telnet/ftp out?

        I used the same exact setup as when I compiled 2.036.

        >Oh, and if anyone knows what might cause this: For either kernel, all of a
        >sudden man doesn't work. If I man to the /path-to-manpage, it works. If I just
        >type in man "command", she doesn't work.
        >
        >I haven't done anything with man. How can I fix man???

        Try the following from the command line (best to add to .bash_profile or
        ..login):

        export MAN_PATH=/usr/man:$MAN_PATH

        The /usr/man is the main path to your man pages and $MAN_PATH is to preserve
        any paths already specified if any. Best to just add the following in your
        login:

        MAN_PATH=$MAN_PATH:/usr/man
        export MAN_PATH

        --

        Shay Harding
      • Patrick Davalan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
          Hi ,

          a pretty good idea was to keep 2.0.36 booting !

          ----- Forwarded message from Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@...> -----

          Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 05:41:59 +0000
          Sender: Bugtraq List <BUGTRAQ@...>
          From: Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@...>
          Subject: 2.2.0 SECURITY (fwd)
          To: BUGTRAQ@...

          A bug has been discovered in the recently released Linux 2.2.0. I suggest
          going back to Linux 2.0.36 until this nasty bug is fixed.

          It was later realized that this bug DOES also affect Linux 2.2.0ac1, but
          only if the core file has permissions 600.

          KeyID 1024D/73348CA0
          Fingerprint 8EFC 7F10 F26C 55A8 458A 38B0 890F 384F 7334 8CA0
          Public key available at http://www.vitelus.com/aaronl/pubkey.asc