Adding second hard drive

  • ATL Oledog
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2000
      Does anyone know how to add a second hard drive to linux system? I am
      running Mandrake 6.1 and want to add a second drive for storage. The the OS
      is currently on a SCSI hard drive. The second drive will be IDE.

    • John O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2000
        > From: "ATL Oledog" <atl_oledog@...>
        >
        > Does anyone know how to add a second hard drive to linux system? I am
        > running Mandrake 6.1 and want to add a second drive for storage. The the OS
        > is currently on a SCSI hard drive. The second drive will be IDE.

        Why would you want to inflict an IDE drive that utilizes CPU power
        on a happily running SCSI system that leaves your CPU alone? Doing
        what you want to do is gonna cause you headaches, but you can make
        it work in any configuration you can muster. Linux is great that
        way... :-)

        Does your BIOS have the capability to prioritize the boot sequence
        of the discs? Only newer BIOS'es have these options.

        If not the system will consider the IDE to be the primary drive and
        SCSI secondary. You will have to boot with emergency disks to get
        a LILO installed on the IDE to point to the SCSI. Some older 486's
        still do not like this and I have to boot from a kernel on the floppy
        every single time. (but how often do you boot?)

        If you are co-existing with WinDOS then forget it. WinDOS will never
        work but from the first drive only!!! In a SCSI/IDE setup IDE is
        always considered first because it is built into the system's BIOS.

        You could move your OS(es?) to the IDE drive then use the SCSI as
        a data drive. This is usually the setup that works best.

        In a dual setup like yours, especially starting with a SCSI and
        downgrading to an IDE, you have alot to consider, unless you have
        a pretty new BIOS where you can select what to boot from:
        CDROM, A:, IDE, SCSI, NETWORK, etc. etc... I have some new machines
        like this - they are nice...

        Usually I hear about people with existing IDE drives that want to
        throw a SCSI in. This is a no brainer.

        After you figure out which setup you want, it is simply a matter
        of partitioning the drive with fdisk and formatting it with
        mke2fs.

        Hope this helps
        Johnny O
      • Paul Sims
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2000
          The IDE drive will become the boot drive due how the PC BIOS operates.
          Partition the drive, format (ext2fs) and edit /etc/lilo to install on the
          IDE mbr.

          Does anyone know how to add a second hard drive to linux system? I am
          running Mandrake 6.1 and want to add a second drive for storage. The the
          OS
          is currently on a SCSI hard drive. The second drive will be IDE.

          Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
          You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends.

          [This message contained attachments]
        • blj8@blj8.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2000
            On 19 Jan, Paul Sims wrote:

            > The IDE drive will become the boot drive due how the PC BIOS operates.
            > Partition the drive, format (ext2fs) and edit /etc/lilo to install on the
            > IDE mbr.

            I was in my BIOS setup screen tonight, and I saw an option where I
            could select the order of which drive boots first, IDE or SCSI.

            Might want to check in BIOS setup to see if this option is available...

            -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
            http://www.blj8.com/my-urls
            "Hmm, they have the Internet on
            computers now." - Homer Simpson