RE: fetchmail

  • Jeff Grossman
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2000
      If you don't want to set up Sendmail, just have Fetchmail send everything to
      Procmail, and that will deliver to your local mailboxes. It might be
      easier.

      Jeff

      -----
      Jeff Grossman (jeff@...)

      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2000
        What you said...

        > From: "Jeff Grossman" <jeff@...>

        > If you don't want to set up Sendmail, just have Fetchmail send everything to
        > Procmail, and that will deliver to your local mailboxes. It might be
        > easier.

        Well, it's not that don't want to setup sendmail, it's that I'm
        new to administering (used Unix & RH 5.0 before getting a
        preinstalled box with RH 6.0) & don't really understand setting
        it up & the info I've found doesn't really make it clear.

        Originally, I was told that fetchmail was so much easier, but I
        get an error concerning the local smtp port which, what Edward
        was reminding me about, appears not to have anything listening.

        I'll go either way, but I've yet to find anything on either
        fetch or sendmail which tells me ~all~ the files which need
        editing or all that either requires to make it work. It's very
        frustrating (as we've all seen in HOWTOs, etc -- sometimes the
        instructions work first try, other times, not at all because of
        some false setting somewhere).

        So, if you can help me actually get it going, I'd be most
        pleased.

        Meph

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2000
          on 1/2/00 10:24 AM, Meph Istopheles at meph@... wrote:

          > I'll go either way, but I've yet to find anything on either
          > fetch or sendmail which tells me ~all~ the files which need
          > editing or all that either requires to make it work. It's very
          > frustrating (as we've all seen in HOWTOs, etc -- sometimes the
          > instructions work first try, other times, not at all because of
          > some false setting somewhere).
          >
          > So, if you can help me actually get it going, I'd be most
          > pleased.

          Sendmail is by no means a very easy program to set up. And if you don't set
          it up correctly, you can be opening yourself up to some outside abuse. I
          would recommend the Sendmail book by O'Reilly. Great book, and should help
          you out. If you would rather try Procmail, you just need to tell Fetchmail
          to send all output to Procmail by using the mda switch. You should be able
          to find that information using man fetchmail.

          Jeff
          --
          Jeff Grossman (jeff@...)
        • Meph Istopheles
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2000
            What you said...

            > From: Jeff Grossman <jeff@...>

            > Sendmail is by no means a very easy program to set up.

            No. Nor, it appears, is fetchmail.

            > And if you don't set
            > it up correctly, you can be opening yourself up to some outside abuse.

            No longer a problem. I've had as much as I care to for now.

            I'm blowing it all off & continuing to log into the pop server
            manually till I can't deal with that & find another solution.

            > If you would rather try Procmail, you just need to tell Fetchmail
            > to send all output to Procmail by using the mda switch. You should be able
            > to find that information using man fetchmail.

            Tried it. Query was sent to the server, but nothing else
            happened -- & no entry in the logs, so I've no idea what
            happened.

            Screw it. I'll deal.

            Thanks,
            Meph

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2000
              Wait!

              On thinking about this, my fetchmail appears to be set up
              properly -- it was only that nothing (ie sendmail) was listening
              on port 25, hence the smtp errors.

              OK. man sendmail tells me to run sendmail as a daemon with
              -bd. I do that, & now the fetchmail test gives me this:

              fetchmail: 5.0.0 querying mail1.buffnet.net (protocol POP3) at
              Sun, 02 Jan 2000 13:04:59 -0800 (PST)
              fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 mail1.buffnet.net v7.59 server ready
              fetchmail: POP3> USER meph

              fetchmail: POP3< +OK User name accepted, password please
              fetchmail: POP3> PASS *

              fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox open, 1 messages
              fetchmail: POP3> STAT
              fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 3377
              1 message for meph at mail.buffnet.net (3377 octets).
              fetchmail: POP3> LIST

              fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox scan listing follows
              fetchmail: POP3< 1 3377
              fetchmail: POP3< .
              fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
              fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3377 octets
              reading message 1 of 1 (3377 octets)
              fetchmail: SMTP< 220 Ra-Hoor.Aeon-AL.Com ESMTP Sendmail
              8.9.3/8.8.7; Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:05:03 -0800
              fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-Ra-Hoor.Aeon-AL.Com Hello
              IDENT:root@localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-EXPN
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-VERB
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-8BITMIME
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-DSN
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ONEX
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ETRN
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250-XUSR
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
              fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL
              FROM:<sentto-3590-8368-Meph=Aeon-AL.Com@onelist.com>
              BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=3377
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250
              <sentto-3590-8368-Meph=Aeon-AL.Com@onelist.com>... Sender ok
              fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<meph@localhost>
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <meph@localhost>... Recipient ok
              fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
              fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
              #**************************.****************fetchmail: SMTP>.
              (EOM)
              fetchmail: SMTP< 250 NAA22683 Message accepted for delivery
              flushed
              fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1

              fetchmail: POP3< +OK Message deleted
              fetchmail: POP3> QUIT

              fetchmail: POP3< +OK Sayonara

              So, I think I've got that stuff working.

              Trouble is: Now, I enter mail to see if the mail's in my
              spool, but it comes back with No mail for meph (I'd tried it as
              root & verified by opening both mine & roots /var/spool/mail
              files too).

              Where'd it go?

              Meph

              --
            • Javier@t-online.de
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 3, 2001
                hi,

                I 've a question. I' using a SuSE LinuxBox as mail server whit fetchmail
                on it. Now since around a mounth wenn I fetch the mails on the net
                $fetchmail -v the return message of the verbose modus is

                skipping message 1 not flushed

                skipping message 130 not flushed

                I can't realize what that could be. A part of these messages seems to
                work smoothly.

                Thks in advance for help.

                Xaver
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 4, 2001
                  On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 07:02:04 +0100, Javier@... wrote:

                  > skipping message 1 not flushed

                  > skipping message 130 not flushed
                  >
                  > I can't realize what that could be. A part of these messages seems to
                  > work smoothly.

                  They are messages which have been read but not deleted from your remote POP3
                  server. Here's how to get rid of them:

                  1) Pick up your e-mail as usual.

                  2) Make sure fetchmail is not running in daemon mode (fetchmail --quit) - we
                  don't want it connecting to the POP3 server while you're doing this.

                  3) Log on to your remote POP3 server using telnet:

                  # telnet your.remote.POP3.server 110

                  The "110" is important because you have to explicitly tell telnet to connect
                  to that port rather than the standard telnet port (23). You'll be prompted
                  for a username and password. Type:

                  user your_username
                  pass your_password

                  You're now logged in. Get a list of the e-mails still on the server by
                  typing:

                  list

                  You'll get a listing something like this:

                  +OK list
                  1 2245
                  2 21547
                  .

                  Your listing may differ from this, but what's important here is the fact
                  that you have 2 messages (#'s 1 and 2 in this case, lengths 2245 and 21547
                  bytes). Here's how you delete them from your server:

                  dele 1
                  dele 2

                  Now they're deleted, you can log out of the POP3 server:

                  quit

                  | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
                  | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
                  The day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck will
                  probably be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.
                • Michael Kjorling

                    Or, use fetchmail's -F (--flush) option, which is described in the man
                    page for fetchmail-5.9.0 as:

                    > -F, --flush
                    > POP3/IMAP only. Delete old (previously retrieved)
                    > messages from the mailserver before retrieving new
                    > messages.
                    > This option does not work with ETRN or ODMR. Warning:
                    > if your local MTA hangs and fetchmail is aborted, the
                    > next time you run fetchmail, it will delete mail that
                    > was never delivered to you. What you probably want
                    > is the default setting: if you don't specify `-k',
                    > then fetchmail will automatically delete messages after
                    > successful delivery.

                    Michael Kjörling

                    On Nov 4 2001 10:17 +0100, Godwin Stewart wrote:

                    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 07:02:04 +0100, Javier@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > skipping message 1 not flushed

                    > > skipping message 130 not flushed
                    > >
                    > > I can't realize what that could be. A part of these messages seems to
                    > > work smoothly.
                    >
                    > They are messages which have been read but not deleted from your remote POP3
                    > server. Here's how to get rid of them:
                    >
                    > 1) Pick up your e-mail as usual.
                    >
                    > 2) Make sure fetchmail is not running in daemon mode (fetchmail --quit) - we
                    > don't want it connecting to the POP3 server while you're doing this.
                    >
                    > 3) Log on to your remote POP3 server using telnet:
                    >
                    > # telnet your.remote.POP3.server 110
                    >
                    > The "110" is important because you have to explicitly tell telnet to connect
                    > to that port rather than the standard telnet port (23). You'll be prompted
                    > for a username and password. Type:
                    >
                    > user your_username
                    > pass your_password
                    >
                    > You're now logged in. Get a list of the e-mails still on the server by
                    > typing:
                    >
                    > list
                    >
                    > You'll get a listing something like this:
                    >
                    > +OK list
                    > 1 2245
                    > 2 21547
                    > .
                    >
                    > Your listing may differ from this, but what's important here is the fact
                    > that you have 2 messages (#'s 1 and 2 in this case, lengths 2245 and 21547
                    > bytes). Here's how you delete them from your server:
                    >
                    > dele 1
                    > dele 2
                    >
                    > Now they're deleted, you can log out of the POP3 server:
                    >
                    > quit

                    - --
                    Michael Kjörling -- Programmer/Network administrator ^..^
                    PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e \/
                    Internet: michael@... -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4

                    "There is something to be said about not trying to be glamorous
                    and popular and cool. Just be real -- and life will be real."
                    (Joyce Sequichie Hifler, September 13 2001)
                  • Meph Istopheles
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 4, 2001
                      Godwin,

                      I've not run into this (well, something similar when I was a
                      tech, but official fix was just to delete the mailbox), but
                      wonder if there were numerous mails in the list...?

                      > You'll get a listing something like this:

                      > +OK list
                      > 1 2245
                      > 2 21547
                      > .

                      > Here's how you delete them from your server:

                      > dele 1
                      > dele 2

                      > Now they're deleted, you can log out of the POP3 server:

                      Would this work with:

                      dele *

                      instead? Just looking for the delete all option.

                      Meph

                      --
                      "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
                      -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 4, 2001
                        On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 07:39:34 -0800 (PST), Meph Istopheles <Meph@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I've not run into this (well, something similar when I was a
                        > tech, but official fix was just to delete the mailbox), but
                        > wonder if there were numerous mails in the list...?

                        Most ISP's only give you a PPP account, not a shell account. You need a
                        shell account to remove your mbox file from a remote server.

                        Also, if the messages appear on the POP3 server, they haven't yet left the
                        /var/spool/mail directory and therefore aren't yet in the mbox file.

                        Nice idea otherwise ;o)

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 4, 2001
                          Godwin,

                          > > I've not run into this (well, something similar when I was a
                          > > tech, but official fix was just to delete the mailbox), but
                          > > wonder if there were numerous mails in the list...?

                          > Most ISP's only give you a PPP account, not a shell account.
                          > You need a shell account to remove your mbox file from a remote
                          > server.

                          Got it to the telnet server, & as foolish as it might be, my
                          isp would even give me access to the server with the spool if I
                          explained why. He'd, naturally, restrict me from access to
                          anything but my own spool.

                          It's not a big deal, just wondering. Since the Admin's the
                          owner & very responsive, I won't likely have to. It's odd after
                          three isp's in the Seattle area (one of which I'd worked for when
                          I moved out here), having an isp like the one I worked for (&
                          still have as Web host) back east. I like it;-).

                          Meph

                          --
                          "Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX."
                          -Stephan Zielinski
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 4, 2001
                            On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:01:36 +0100, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...>
                            wrote:

                            > > I've not run into this (well, something similar when I was a
                            > > tech, but official fix was just to delete the mailbox), but
                            > > wonder if there were numerous mails in the list...?

                            Might also be a nice idea if I answered your question...

                            The only way to remove a heap of such e-mails would be to ask your ISP to
                            delete the /var/spool/mail/<username> file which contains these e-mails.

                            Bearing in mind that 99% of ISP's assume you don't know what you're on
                            about, it would probably be quicker to do it yourself or to write a Perl
                            script to do it for you rather than to convince the ISP that you *do* know
                            what your doing and take the time to explain what you want to a so-called
                            technician who definitely *doesn't* know what (s)he's doing!