new system and linux and things

  • Eric Hungerford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 1999
      so... what does everyone think is the best linux? I have this feeling to
      lean towards Slackware since I've only tried it and redhat... and I haven't
      gotten into it very much... but it seems slackware is less intrusive in
      installing... I mean you can choose how to do things without letting the
      machine try to do it... does that make sense? but it also does help a
      little... just not Too much.

      I'm getting a new system soon... an AMD K6-2-3d 350MHz with an Asus P5A
      (ATX) motherboard running at 100MHz and 64MB PC100 DIMMs.. and later on
      maybe a couple months... when I can afford it.... an ATI All In Wonder Pro
      (AGP) 8M.. unless anyone knows of a card that has TV tuner/video/audio
      in/out that would work in Linux and win95... Otherwise I'll just watch TV in
      Win95. I know I won't be getting rid of the dreaded thing any time soon...

      does this sound OK to anyone for Linux? I can't decide If I really want the
      Asus motherboard cause it only has 512k cache... and there's an FIC PA-2013
      (never heard of FIC, has anyone else?) motherboard much like the Asus but
      with 1MB cache, for around the same $. but, I'm not sure I can get that
      instead in the barebones kit.... I'll have to ask.

      Is there anything I'm missing that I should worry about? whatta bout the L2
      cache thing? could I get screwed and get some lower version? or is that the
      lowest? what should I get?

      thanks :)
      Eric