Re: Installing Suse Linux

  • David Male
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 1998
      On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, you wrote:
      >From: who_you@... (See Web)
      >
      > I have totally completed the installation of suse Linux, but X-windows
      >will not load after I use the xconfig program to creat the start up
      Make sure that you have the X-Server installed for your video card, and on
      some systems you will need the mouse thingy GPM off.
    • Benjamin Kuz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 1999
        See Web wrote:

        > From: who_you@... (See Web)
        >
        > I have totally completed the installation of suse Linux, but X-windows
        > will not load after I use the xconfig program to creat the start up
        > file??
        >
        > Who_you@...

        Look for a file called 'X.err' or something like that...I think it's in your
        home directory, but it should give you a transcript of what happened during
        your startup of X. That might give you a clue as to what happened.

        Later,

        Ben
      • Therese M. Lowery
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 1999
          Did you change the runlevel from 3 to 5 in /etc/inittab so as to access
          graphics mode?

          Therese

          At 06:54 PM 1/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
          >From: Benjamin Kuz <kuzb@...>
          >

          >See Web wrote:
          >
          >> From: who_you@... (See Web)
          >>
          >> I have totally completed the installation of suse Linux, but X-windows
          >> will not load after I use the xconfig program to creat the start up
          >> file??
          >>
          >> Who_you@...
          >
          >Look for a file called 'X.err' or something like that...I think it's in your
          >home directory, but it should give you a transcript of what happened during
          >your startup of X. That might give you a clue as to what happened.
          >
          >Later,
          >
          >Ben

          >Titanic 12 ... Hindenburg Zeppelin 37 ... Microsoft Windows 98

          Therese M. Lowery
          P-23 MS H803
          Phone 505-667-3832
          FAX 505-665-4121

          "All that ever will be, has happened, and is NOW; It Is Finished!"
          T. M. L.
          Sir Winston Churchill's commencement address at Oxford Univ.,
          "Never give up! Never give up!"
        • DAVE
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 1999
            Try conserative monitor settings at first.