Was LILO, now pppd, WordPerfect

  • Carlyle Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 1998
      Hello, everyone...

      Thanks to your help, I have Linux up and running *very* well, at last! I
      resolved the problem with LILO by installing onto the MBR, as suggested. I
      also installed Word Perfect 8.0 for Linux without a hitch. Those of you
      who are familiar with the Windows version will be at home with the Linux
      version; it's nearly identical in looks and function. Nice!

      Now to problem two: Using the advice in the HOWTO file regarding
      connecting to the internet with pppd, I get only a string of garbage
      characters after entering the following:

      pppd connect \'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \ -detach crtscts modem
      defaultroute \ user clfitz /dev.modem 38400

      The modem does not attempt to actually dial, nor do I get a dial tone. I
      edited (in some cases created with PICO) the files suggested in the HOWTO,
      and still nothing happens. What do I do next? Any help is appreciated, as
      always!

      Thanks in advance,

      Carlyle
    • John O'Donnell,x3033
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 1998
        > Now to problem two: Using the advice in the HOWTO file regarding
        > connecting to the internet with pppd, I get only a string of garbage
        > characters after entering the following:
        >
        > pppd connect \'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \ -detach crtscts modem
        > defaultroute \ user clfitz /dev.modem 38400
        >
        > The modem does not attempt to actually dial, nor do I get a dial tone. I
        > edited (in some cases created with PICO) the files suggested in the HOWTO,
        > and still nothing happens. What do I do next? Any help is appreciated, as
        > always!
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >

        > Carlyle

        Which version of pppd are you using? (pppd --version)
        Which Linux distribution are you using? (Slackware, RedHat, Debian, etc...)
        Lets go from there...
        Johnny O

        | _,,,---,,_ +-----------------------------+
        ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Isn't there always a cat |
        |,4- ) )-,_. , ( `'-' | on whatever you're reading? |
        '---''(_/--' `-'_) +-----------------------------+
        | University, n.: Like a software house, except the software's free, |
        | and it's usable, and it works, and if it breaks they'll quickly |
        | tell you how to fix it, and ... |
        +==============================+==========================================+
        | John O'Donnell (Sr. Systems Engineer, Webmaster, Network Admin, etc...) |
        | Voice FX Corporation | |
        | 1100 E. Hector Street | www.voicefx.com |
        | Suite 416 | www.getgrades.com |
        | Conshohocken, PA 19428 | www.gettranscript.com |
        | Phone: (610)941-1000 | www.getfinaid.com |
        | Fax: (610)941-9844 | www.campusdirect.com |
        | E-Mail: johnod@... | |
        +==============================+==========================================+
        ACKRQ
      • Alan Day
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 1998
          Should be /dev/modem

          --
          ========
          Alan Day
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 1998
            At 12:11 PM 12/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: "John O'Donnell,x3033" <johnod@...>
            >
            >> Now to problem two: Using the advice in the HOWTO file regarding
            >> connecting to the internet with pppd, I get only a string of garbage
            >> characters after entering the following:
            >>
            >> pppd connect \'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \ -detach crtscts modem
            >> defaultroute \ user clfitz /dev.modem 38400
            >>
            >> The modem does not attempt to actually dial, nor do I get a dial tone. I
            >> edited (in some cases created with PICO) the files suggested in the HOWTO,
            >> and still nothing happens. What do I do next? Any help is appreciated, as
            >> always!
            >>
            >> Thanks in advance,
            >>

            >> Carlyle
            >
            >Which version of pppd are you using? (pppd --version)
            >Which Linux distribution are you using? (Slackware, RedHat, Debian, etc...)
            >Lets go from there...
            >Johnny O

            Sorry...I'm not usually so brain-dead. Must be the holidays.

            Red Hat Linux 5.1, which I got out of a book called Using Linux, 4th
            Edition. Kernel is 2.0.35, pppd version is 2.3, patch level 3.

            What I've done so far is edit /etc/hosts.deny to read:

            ALL: ALL

            /etc/hosts.allow reads:

            ALL: LOCAL

            /etc/HOSTNAME is clfitz
            (My login name for my ISP. I suspect some conflict here because so far I
            log on to my Linux system only as root, and the user clfitz does not
            so far exist on my machine.)

            I edited /etc/resolv.conf to read:

            search. nameserver
            xxx.xxx.xx.x
            xxx.xxx.xx.x
            xxx.xxx.xx.x or whatever they were; I entered three nameservers specified
            by my ISP.

            /etc/hosts:

            127.0.0.1 localhost
            0.0.0.0 clfitz

            /etc/networks:

            127.0.0.1 loopback
            0.0.0.0 localnet

            /etc/mailname:

            clfitz

            /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: (My ISP uses PAP, not CHAP. I did think to check
            that! <G>

            clfitz password

            /etc/ppp/chatscript reads:

            TIMEOUT 5
            ""ATZ
            OK ATDT1234567
            ABORT "NO CARRIER"
            ABORT BUSY
            ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
            ABORT WAITING
            TIMEOUT 45
            CONNECT""
            TIMEOUT 5
            "name:" ppp

            I just took the chatscript directly from the HOWTO, only changing it for
            the phone number of my ISP in line three.

            Again, sorry for the omission, and thanks for any and all help!

            Carlyle
          • Carlyle Fitzgerald
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 1998
              At 04:02 PM 12/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
              >From: Alan Day <alanday@...>
              >
              >Should be /dev/modem

              Actually, it is...My finger hit the wrong key... <G>