Re: Samba

  • Terry Randall
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 1999
      nmblookup -d 2 '*'

      should list available shares on the subnet

      On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Ed McMan imparted the following wisdom:

      ->Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 06:27:12 -0500
      ->From: Ed McMan <EdMcMan@...>
      ->To: linux@onelist.com
      ->Subject: [linux] Samba
      ->
      ->From: Ed McMan <EdMcMan@...>
      ->
      ->Hi guys. It's very early, and I know nothing about about Samba, but
      ->excuse my stupidity. I can't find the smbmount command anywhere.
      ->smbclient and everything else is there - but no smbmount. Any ideas
      ->sould be helpful.
      ->Also, is there any way to list all the available servers? Thanks.
      ->--
      ->____________________________________________ |
      ->Email______________________________________| |
      ->__________ \____________Ed@... \ |
      ->Ed McMan \ __________________\ |
      ->__________/______________/ 1 (877) 714 2443 | |
      ->VoiceMail & Fax__________\__________________| |
      ->________________/ |
      ->ICQ 35576339 |
      ->________________________________________________|
      ->
      ->->To unsubscribe, email linux-unsubscribe@onelist.com, or
      ->visit www.onelist.com.
      ->

      ...in a world without fences or walls
      who needs gates or windows?

      .-'~~~-.
      Terry .'o oOOOo`.
      Randall :~~~-.oOo o`.
      `. \ ~-. oOOo.
      `.; / ~. OO:
      tvbare@... .' ;-- `.o.'
      ,' ; ~~--'~
      ; ; # 98233
      _______\|/__________\;_\//___\|/__________
      http://members.socket.net/~tvbare/index.html
    • Brandon Penglase
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 23, 2000
        Hello,
        I have a little question. I have a linux server doing IRC, WEB, MAIL,
        and other little goodies. The server is doing IP MASQ to a Windoze 98 comp.
        I have setup Samba(I think), like in Network Neighborhood, it'll come up in
        the same Workgroup, and HomeServ as the name, well, I can do a SMBMOUNT and
        map the windozes HDD on the Linux comp. but I can't seem to browse the Linux
        server form my Windoze comp. it prompts me for a password for
        \\HOMESERVER\IPC$, and I do have the same login name in Windows as in Linux.
        what I'm asking it how do I get to to my Linux server from windoze. what
        would the password be? I have tried the password for root, DaAdmin(the name
        I use in Linux and Windoze)? Whats going on.

        Thanks in Advance

        Brandon P.
      • Benjamin Jackson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 23, 2000
          I had this problem at work. There is a flag in the /etc/smb.conf about
          password encryption. Look at it and look at the documentation file they
          say to read (I'd love to be more specific but I don't have a linux bxen in
          front of me). The problem is that Samba is not decrypting/encrypting you
          password you give it correctly. Set the flag correcty and uncomment the
          line and you shouldn't have a problem.
          -Ben

          Ben Jackson - zaphod@... - http://www.esgeroth.org/~zaphod
        • Peter Schuller
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 23, 2000
            > I have a little question. I have a linux server doing IRC, WEB, MAIL,
            > and other little goodies. The server is doing IP MASQ to a Windoze 98 comp.
            > I have setup Samba(I think), like in Network Neighborhood, it'll come up in
            > the same Workgroup, and HomeServ as the name, well, I can do a SMBMOUNT and
            > map the windozes HDD on the Linux comp. but I can't seem to browse the Linux
            > server form my Windoze comp. it prompts me for a password for
            > \\HOMESERVER\IPC$, and I do have the same login name in Windows as in Linux.
            > what I'm asking it how do I get to to my Linux server from windoze. what
            > would the password be? I have tried the password for root, DaAdmin(the name
            > I use in Linux and Windoze)? Whats going on.

            Someone suggested the encryption problem. If that's not it, you should make
            sure that the client you are trying to connect from is allowed to connect.
            If you have an "allow hosts = <....>" entry, no one that's not listed there
            will be able to connect.

            --
            / Peter Schuller

            PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <scode@...>'
            Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to scode-getpgpkey@...
            E-Mail: scode@... Web: http://www.scode.webprovider.com
          • Frank Engel (Jr.)
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2000
              Did you actually set up a share in the config file?

              Frank D. Engel JR (fdengel@...)

              ---- "Peter Schuller" <scode@...> wrote:
              [Non text/plain message body suppressed]

              To get your own FREE ZDNet onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
              all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com
            • Finnur Guðmundsson
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 12, 2001
                Samba

                Ok guys...last night i installed Mandrake 7.2+updates and configured Samba to be Primary Domain Controller on my network :). So far its working pretty cool but i still have to configure the logon.bat script to map few drives (Applications/Public/Mp3). Its all running on ResizerFS except the /boot :)...so far it has been pretty stable. I was just woundering if anyone here is good in this logon.bat shit (i tried using net use \\MACHINENAME\MP3\ M: but no drive was mapped....)

                Also..i have ISDN connection to my ISP and 3 email accounts, could my machine connect to ISP every night at 10:00 and download mail from all accounts and then move them to my local server so i could just check my mail from there??

                Finnur Örn Guðmundsson
                Tölvusmiðjan Ehf.
                Sími: 4702230
                GSM: 8959952
                Email: finnur@...
                Brainbench Certified Linux Administrator
                Brainbench Certified RedHat Linux Administrator

              • ralfv@ralfv.de
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2001
                  getting your mail is quite easy:

                  create the file .fetchmailrc in your roots home
                  with a line like this for each mail-address:

                  poll mail.yourprovider.com protocol POP3 user accountname password
                  accountpassword is usernameonyourlinuxmachine

                  set its file permission correctly because it contains passwords in
                  plaintext.

                  then start fetchmail with the following line:

                  /usr/bin/fetchmail --silent -a -f /root/.fetchmailrc -
                  L /var/log/fetchmail 2>&1

                  the timing could be done via cron.daily or starting fetchmail as
                  daemon (add -d and a interval time, check the man entry of fetchmail)

                  then you get those mails from your linux box.

                  > Also..i have ISDN connection to my ISP and 3 email accounts, could
                  my
                  > machine connect to ISP every night at 10:00 and download mail from
                  all
                  > accounts and then move them to my local server so i could just
                  check my mail
                  > from there??
                  >
                  > Finnur Örn Guðmundsson
                  > Tölvusmiðjan Ehf.
                  > Sími: 4702230
                  > GSM: 8959952
                  > Email: finnur@t...
                  > Brainbench Certified Linux Administrator
                  > Brainbench Certified RedHat Linux Administrator
                • John
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 12, 2001
                    On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 ralfv@... wrote:

                    > getting your mail is quite easy:
                    >
                    > create the file .fetchmailrc in your roots home
                    > with a line like this for each mail-address:
                    >
                    > poll mail.yourprovider.com protocol POP3 user accountname password
                    > accountpassword is usernameonyourlinuxmachine
                    >
                    > set its file permission correctly because it contains passwords in
                    > plaintext.

                    Also to configure fetchmail there is a fetchmailconf app. For Mandrake it
                    is located in the Networking => Mail menu or you can start it with
                    fetchmailconf from a console or term.

                    > then start fetchmail with the following line:
                    >
                    > /usr/bin/fetchmail --silent -a -f /root/.fetchmailrc -
                    > L /var/log/fetchmail 2>&1
                    >
                    > the timing could be done via cron.daily or starting fetchmail as
                    > daemon (add -d and a interval time, check the man entry of fetchmail)

                    I am on a cable broadband connection but I usually just run 'fetchmail -d
                    600' so I poll my remote server(s) every 10 minutes.

                    HTH,

                    John
                  • Jeff Erickson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 9, 2001
                      What are the 'must haves' for smb.conf if I want a samba file server to serve a Windows 2000 machine and a Windows ME machine? I have Samba 2.2.0a.

                      Thanks,
                      Jeff Erickson
                      (jpe_mt_2000@...)

                    • Jeff Erickson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 10, 2001
                        Dear Group,

                        I have a Samba server serving a Windows ME computer. When it starts up, the Client for Microsoft Networks logon box shows up for about 3 seconds and then disappears like it would if I were to hit cancel on it. If I go to logout on the start menu, it will logout and the Client for Microsoft Networks logon box appears. This one doesn't disappear. If I logon in from there, it works fine. How do I stop the logon box from disappearing on start-up?

                        Thanks,
                        Jeff Erickson

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 10, 2001
                          On 10:06 2001/11/10 -0700, Jeff Erickson wrote
                          >Dear Group,
                          >
                          >I have a Samba server serving a Windows ME computer. When it starts up,
                          >the Client for Microsoft Networks logon box shows up for about 3 seconds
                          >and then disappears like it would if I were to hit cancel on it. If I go
                          >to logout on the start menu, it will logout and the Client for Microsoft
                          >Networks logon box appears. This one doesn't disappear. If I logon in
                          >from there, it works fine. How do I stop the logon box from disappearing
                          >on start-up?

                          It sounds if you might either have Tweak UI running (which will do an
                          automatic login) or possibly, during installation, you chose something like
                          this user will always log onto this computer--I don't have ME, so can't
                          really be sure. However, 2K Professional had something like that. Try
                          control panel, network and see if there's something for users and groups
                          that you can play with to fix it.

                          There's this knowledge base article, might help.
                          http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q141/8/58.asp

                          HTH
                          Scott
                        • Ankit Jain
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                            Hi all

                            How Can i access windows files Graphicall or text mode in Linux Using Samba.

                            Bye

                            Anks

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                              On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 06:51:40AM +0530, Ankit Jain wrote:
                              > Hi all
                              >
                              > How Can i access windows files Graphicall or text mode in Linux Using Samba.

                              I have a page on this that might help. ~I~ think it's clearly written
                              for the newcomer, but of course, I'm prejudiced.

                              http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/samba.html

                              Miss Calendar: Okay, so this Master guy tried to open the
                              Hellmouth, but he got stuck in it. And now, all the signs are reading
                              that he's going to get out, which opens the Hellmouth, which brings
                              the demons which ends the world.
                              Giles: Yes. That about sums it up, yes.
                              Miss Calendar: The part that gets me, though, is where Buffy is the
                              Vampire Slayer. She's so little.