RedHat qualifications

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2014
      As the end of the outsourcing contact nears, I'm wondering about $job+1,
      it's been a while since I graduated so I'm wondering if employers would
      value my know-how. So I'm thinking I need a buzzword tech refresh.

      How many people have found RedHat qualifications to be valuable? If so,
      which did you do? Did you do the course prior to the exam?

      What other qualifications have you found useful? Did you do the Linux+,
      perhaps in addition or prior to a RedHat qualification.

      Are you an employer? Do you look out for these?

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2014
        On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:20:37PM +0100, Ed wrote:
        > As the end of the outsourcing contact nears, I'm wondering about $job+1,
        > it's been a while since I graduated so I'm wondering if employers would
        > value my know-how. So I'm thinking I need a buzzword tech refresh.
        >
        > How many people have found RedHat qualifications to be valuable? If so,
        > which did you do? Did you do the course prior to the exam?

        I was going to take the RHCSA during my unemployed time, but wound up
        finding a job in a FreeBSD oriented company first.

        Point one--RH is about to go to RHEL7, which will be pretty different--all
        those things like systemd and so on.

        Although the things one would learn for the test would be useful, in most
        of the jobs that I looked at, most of the things were not all that
        important--KVM? Maybe. SELinux? Probably not. Encrypted disks?
        Probably not.

        The buzzwords I saw while hunting--which was from April 2013 till
        September--were puppet and/or chef, scripting, which you have, VMware and
        clustering. That's judging from a search in the NYC area.

        I think that with your background and abilities though, you'll be way ahead
        of where I was--I'd worked in IT for years, but in relatively simple
        setups.

      • J
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2014
          On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:20:37PM +0100, Ed wrote:
          >> As the end of the outsourcing contact nears, I'm wondering about $job+1,
          >> it's been a while since I graduated so I'm wondering if employers would
          >> value my know-how. So I'm thinking I need a buzzword tech refresh.

          My buzz words:

          Python, Django OpenStack, OpenCompute, OpenVSwitch, Ceph, Cinder,
          Juju, MAAS, Bare metal provisioning, puppet, chef, ARM64, Go, Neutron,
          RDMA.

          Especially the OpenStack and other cloud related technologies. I
          can't remember how many calls I've answered over the last 6 moths for
          different companies looking for pretty much any breathing soul who can
          explain adequately the difference between block and object storage and
          knows that "the cloud" is not just some puffy whisps of vapor in the
          air. And each recruiter I chat with sounds equally desperate to fill
          those spaces...

          I'd say that's indicative of the RTP area where I live, but I've
          fielded headhunter calls from the links of Amazon, Google and
          Rackspace to name a few, all centered well away from where I live.