Ubuntu 4.1

  • mehenley2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2014
      I bought a computer with Ubuntu 4.1 distro .
       I realize it`s old,but I`m new to Linux. I
      got it online and setup email. I intend to
      upgrade,but don`t know how.
                    Gene Henley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2014
        On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 12:59:52PM -0700, mhenley2@... wrote:
        > I bought a computer with Ubuntu 4.1 distro .
        > I realize it`s old,but I`m new to Linux. I
        > got it online and setup email. I intend to
        > upgrade,but don`t know how.
        > Gene Henley

        Hi Gene,

        What spec is the computer out of interest? If your computer is recent
        enough you may be able to boot from a USB device, which will make your
        installation a lot smoother and less hassle.

        Well done getting online and setting up your email.

        You could use apt-get and dist-upgrade to the current release, but I
        think you'll benefit from installing the current release off USB/CD.
        Backup your personal files first of course.

        The first thing I think you'll want to do is download a recent Ubuntu
        ISO. If you have a good internet connection then you can get the minimal
        ISO and install off the internet:

        http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/saucy/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

        Ubuntu provide a good guide on burning images to disks here:

        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

        They also mention how to install and make a USB stick here, they
        recommend using a script that they link to, I normally use dd myself.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2014
          On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 12:59:52PM -0700, mhenley2@... wrote:
          > I bought a computer with Ubuntu 4.1 distro .
          > I realize it`s old,but I`m new to Linux. I
          > got it online and setup email. I intend to
          > upgrade,but don`t know how.

          As mentioned on LinuxNewbies, that is probably 4.10, Warty Warthog.

          `
        • J
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2014
            On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 12:59:52PM -0700, mhenley2@... wrote:
            >> I bought a computer with Ubuntu 4.1 distro .
            >> I realize it`s old,but I`m new to Linux. I
            >> got it online and setup email. I intend to
            >> upgrade,but don`t know how.
            >
            > As mentioned on LinuxNewbies, that is probably 4.10, Warty Warthog.

            And AFAIK, there is no upgrade path there... there is "Format and Reinstall".

            It MAY, stress MAY, be possible to pull every release from
            old-releases.ubuntu.com and install in order from "When time began"
            basically, but that is far beyond what I'd consider the skill set of
            someone who has never used Linux before, and most likely will break on
            the first attempt and require a re-install from scratch anyway.