NetworkManager?

  • Matt Bailey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2014
      Perusing the Slackware 14.1 release notes, I see mention of
      NetworkManager. Anyone have experiences with NM, good or bad?

      Of course, in true Slackware spirit, full support is apparently still
      provided for Wicd, as well as the standard network scripts. I have been
      using the standard scripts on all my wired systems, and Wicd for my
      wifi machines. Just trying to decide if 14.1 has enough benefits to
      warrant some upgrades around my house.

      --
      Matt Bailey

      Keeping It Real:
      Sabreliner 60 Flight Simulator
      Serial # 306-61 - N1JX
      http://sabrelinersim.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2014
        On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 02:36:24PM -0500, Matt Bailey wrote:
        > Perusing the Slackware 14.1 release notes, I see mention of
        > NetworkManager. Anyone have experiences with NM, good or bad?
        >
        > Of course, in true Slackware spirit, full support is apparently still
        > provided for Wicd, as well as the standard network scripts. I have been
        > using the standard scripts on all my wired systems, and Wicd for my
        > wifi machines. Just trying to decide if 14.1 has enough benefits to
        > warrant some upgrades around my house.

        If you're using the system on many different networks, such as using a
        laptop on the road, then network manager is worth keeping around. If the
        system is cabled, or not going to move around then there's no real point
        to it. The only useful thing I see with it is that it shows a list of
        wireless networks and you can click to choose the one you wish to
        connect to. Otherwise I find it a total hindrance. I disable it by
        default, except for the laptops that I use when I'm the on-call unix guy
        and possibly have to go out on the road.

        Best thoughts I can give you are "try it and see". You've been ok up
        until now without it, do you really need it?

      • linux_lists
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2014
          > On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 02:36:24PM -0500, Matt Bailey wrote:
          > > Perusing the Slackware 14.1 release notes, I see mention of
          > > NetworkManager. Anyone have experiences with NM, good or bad?

          I have it setup on my son's thinkpad which is running slackware 14.1. He
          uses KDE as his desktop. Are you aware of alienbob's ktown repository?
          Network manager seems to work better with alienbob's latest kde release.
          After upgrading to kde 4.12.3, network manager worked much better and
          he can connect to his school's wifi and our home wifi without any
          problems.
        • Matt Bailey
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2014
            On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 21:51:48 +0100
            ed <ed@...> wrote:

            > If you're using the system on many different networks, such as using a
            > laptop on the road, then network manager is worth keeping around. If
            > the system is cabled, or not going to move around then there's no
            > real point to it. The only useful thing I see with it is that it
            > shows a list of wireless networks and you can click to choose the one
            > you wish to connect to. Otherwise I find it a total hindrance. I
            > disable it by default, except for the laptops that I use when I'm the
            > on-call unix guy and possibly have to go out on the road.

            I see. Wicd already does show nearby wireless networks...no advantage
            there for me.

            > Best thoughts I can give you are "try it and see". You've been ok up
            > until now without it, do you really need it?

            Doesn't sound useful, and certainly not worth downloading a new
            Slackware ISO and wiping a system here! Thanks for the insight!

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7, 2014
              On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 17:08:39 -0500
              unix_lists@... wrote:

              > > On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 02:36:24PM -0500, Matt Bailey wrote:
              > > > Perusing the Slackware 14.1 release notes, I see mention of
              > > > NetworkManager. Anyone have experiences with NM, good or bad?
              > > >

              > I have it setup on my son's thinkpad which is running slackware 14.1.
              > He uses KDE as his desktop. Are you aware of alienbob's ktown
              > repository? Network manager seems to work better with alienbob's
              > latest kde release. After upgrading to kde 4.12.3, network manager
              > worked much better and he can connect to his school's wifi and our
              > home wifi without any problems.

              I haven't done much with KDE since my Mandrake days, so no. I don't
              have any connection problems whatsoever with Wicd on any network I've
              tried, it doesn't sound like NM would be an improvement for me.