Re: [linux] OpenSuse (was: Zorin Linux)

  • Allen D. Tate
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2014
      > On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Walt Frampus-Frye <kuzzitsfun@...> wrote:
      >
      > I used zorin for about a year before switching to OpenSuse. Worked great, looked
      > nice. Would probably still use it if I wasnt using opensuse.
      >
      > Walt

      Tell us about your experience with OpenSuse if you don't mind. What
      made you switch from Zorin?
    • Walt Frampus-Frye
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2014
        I used Opensuse years ago when it was just Suse and you could buy a boxed copy of it in a store. Everything ran beautifully until I had problems with I believe version 11.1 and my laptop at the time had serious problems with it. I used windows 7 for a while and didn't duel boot with any linux distro. I purchased a new laptop and figured Opensuse would have the same issues so I looked for something different. I read about Zorin and decided to try it out. I liked it so much that I bought the premium version of it. Zorin is a great distro for people who just want a linux distro that just works for just every day stuff. It is lightweight so it runs on older computers and it is "pretty."  When version 12.1 of opensuse came out I tried a live cd of it to check to see how it worked on my computer and it worked and looked great so i put it back on. To me, Opensuse is for people who want a nice looking desktop and something that could be used in an office environment. It just works. For my main computer I need something dependable. Opensuse has been around for years and I am hoping that with the changes that they have talked about it will still stay around for many more years to come.  Every distro has its following and its problems. BTW, Opensuse works with UEFI and secure boot turned on! You do have to add community repositories to be able to install codecs etc When you install VLC for example you have to download the codecs separately. Opensuse is worth checking out in my opinion.

        Walt

      • Allen D. Tate
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2014
          > On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Walt Frampus-Frye <kuzzitsfun@...> wrote:
          >
          > I used Opensuse years ago when it was just Suse and you could buy a boxed copy of it in a store. Everything ran beautifully until I had problems with I believe version 11.1 and my laptop at the time had serious problems with it. I used windows 7 for a while and didn't duel boot with any linux distro. I purchased a new laptop and figured Opensuse would have the same issues so I looked for something different. I read about Zorin and decided to try it out. I liked it so much that I bought the premium version of it. Zorin is a great distro for people who just want a linux distro that just works for just every day stuff. It is lightweight so it runs on older computers and it is "pretty." When version 12.1 of opensuse came out I tried a live cd of it to check to see how it worked on my computer and it worked and looked great so i put it back on. To me, Opensuse is for people who want a nice looking desktop and something that could be used in an office environment. It just works. For my main computer I need something dependable. Opensuse has been around for years and I am hoping that with the changes that they have talked about it will still stay around for many more years to come. Every distro has its following and its problems. BTW, Opensuse works with UEFI and secure boot turned on! You do have to add community repositories to be able to install codecs etc When you install VLC for example you have to download the codecs separately. Opensuse is worth checking out in my opinion.
          >
          > Walt

          Very cool. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will grab OpenSuse
          and give the live disc shot.
        • Walt Frampus-Frye
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2014
            Just make sure you get the stable version of Opensuse and not what they just released today.

            Walt
          • Allen D. Tate
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2014
              > On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Walt Frampus-Frye <kuzzitsfun@...> wrote:
              >
              > Just make sure you get the stable version of Opensuse and not what they just released today.
              >
              > Walt

              Heh. I grabbed the ISO for 13.1. <http://software.opensuse.org/131/en>
              Since I'm running it in a VM it won't hurt anything for me to play
              with it.

              I will also grab 12.3 <http://software.opensuse.org/123/en> and give
              it a look too. Thanks for the heads up.