Re: Linux Basic questions-Help me out

  • Patrick Davalan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 1998
      N. Sriram wrote:

      > From: "N. Sriram" <nsriram@...>
      >
      > Hi ,
      > To start with , I am very much new to Linux environment , although I
      > have some working basic knowledge of UNIX
      > Over here, we have a LAN set up under Windows environment.
      > I am throwing my whole wieght behind LINUX ( redHat 5.0)
      > I have some trouble , ( rather grey areas , regarding this ) . Can
      > anyone , please find time, to help me out.
      >
      > 1) I will have to connect my system , to the existing network , which in
      > in Windows platform . How Can I do this?
      > 2) How can I see the type of Network Adapter he ( LInux )has installed.
      > Which file , would give me this information.? . I doubt , that he hasnt
      > installed the appropriate driver for my Novell Ne2000 compatible
      > Adapter.
      > 3) regarding the X-windows, I have setup , 800x600 resolution in the
      > XF86Config file. But still, I am not able to view the whole screen at a
      > time. ie, I have to drag my mouse (PS2 type ) button down , to see the
      > TaskBar, which looks rather awkward. Is there , any way to display the
      > complete screen , at a time. I have a DELL Monitor with me. I tried it
      > out with other resolutions like ( 640x480and 1024x768 resolutions also ,
      > but in vain ).
      I am not sure , but it should be in the XF86config file
      Section "screen"
      Subsection "Display"
      # here it is
      virtual 800 600

      > Pll , help.
      > Sincerely,
      > Sriram

      *NEW* FREE SOFTWARE @ <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.davalan/>
    • SIMS, Paul, LCTL
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 1998
        Setting up X using XF86Setup installs the server without virtual (i.e.
        scrolling) screens by default. What you see is an intelligent response to
        the amount of video memory v desired resolution - the extra is used for
        virtual screen space, which is not always required. Also, if you set up
        using XF86Config, changing the default resolution/colour depth prompts for
        virtual screen use, so answer no to this if not needed.