System instability...

  • J Rasku
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 1998
      Lately I have noticed that my system has been very unstable. It
      seems to at least partialy be related to power failures, and possibly to
      do with my Zip drive which is not protected by the UPS. But I don't think
      that is the only problem. I have been getting a lot of duplicate/bad
      blocks (or is that bad/duplicate blocks?). It doesn't really matter, what
      is actually reported. I am just wondering, what likely causes there could
      be for this? Are my drives flakey? Or is it a problem with inproper
      shutdown (when it gets bad, I can't shut down the machine or work on it
      normaly, it is very inconsistant). Anyways, your advice would be greatly
      appreciated... Thank you very much for your time...

      Jason Rasku

      --
      J Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
      LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

      List manager: majordomo@...
      send command help ---- To get help with majordomo
      or lists ---- To get a list of all lists on server.

      Excuse me, but didn't I tell you there's NO HOPE for the survival of
      OFFSET PRINTING?
    • Ed McMan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 1998
        Usually if drives are not unmounted properly (shutdown command will
        unmount drives) then they can get bad blocks. Try running e2fsk, I
        think thats what its called. Can't think off hand, anyway, its
        something like that. Hope that helps...

        ---J Rasku <jrasku@...> wrote:

        > From: J Rasku <jrasku@...>
        >
        > Lately I have noticed that my system has been very unstable. It
        > seems to at least partialy be related to power failures, and
        possibly to
        > do with my Zip drive which is not protected by the UPS. But I don't
        think
        > that is the only problem. I have been getting a lot of duplicate/bad
        > blocks (or is that bad/duplicate blocks?). It doesn't really
        matter, what
        > is actually reported. I am just wondering, what likely causes there
        could
        > be for this? Are my drives flakey? Or is it a problem with inproper
        > shutdown (when it gets bad, I can't shut down the machine or work on
        it
        > normaly, it is very inconsistant). Anyways, your advice would be
        greatly
        > appreciated... Thank you very much for your time...
        >
        > Jason Rasku
        >
        > --
        > J Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
        > LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.
        >
        > List manager: majordomo@...
        > send command help ---- To get help with majordomo
        > or lists ---- To get a list of all lists on server.
        >
        > Excuse me, but didn't I tell you there's NO HOPE for the survival of
        > OFFSET PRINTING?

        > Titanic 12 ... Hindenburg Zeppelin 37 ... Microsoft Windows 98

        ==
        From, EdMcMan@...
        m00net Irc Network http://www.m00.net (irc.m00.net)
        http://www.geocities.com/~eddie798/irc/irc.html
        CL in TimesSquare for GeoCities
        :) Happy :( Sad }:< Dog face :< Another Dog face }:( Mad
        :P Sticking tounge out =) Smiling while your sleeping (: backwards
        Also look at my Linux mailing list, to subscribe point your browser to http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/linux
      • J Rasku
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 1998
          On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Ed McMan wrote:

          > From: Ed McMan <edmcman@...>
          >
          > Usually if drives are not unmounted properly (shutdown command will
          > unmount drives) then they can get bad blocks. Try running e2fsk, I
          > think thats what its called. Can't think off hand, anyway, its
          > something like that. Hope that helps...

          Why do I keep getting this kind of responce? 1) shutdown is NOT
          working, 2) I have run e2fsk just about every time I have re-booted
          lately, because the re-boots find errors, 3) I believe I asked what ideas
          people may have for an underlying problem.
          It may be a simple matter of not shutting down, in which case I
          can almost accept it as not a problem, it is just Linux being fussy, which
          I do like...

          Jason Rasku

          --

          List manager: majordomo@...
          send command help ---- To get help with majordomo
          or lists ---- To get a list of all lists on server.

          Coincidence, n.:
          You weren't paying attention to the other half of what was
          going on.
        • Sebastian Walker
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 1998
            > Why do I keep getting this kind of responce? 1) shutdown is NOT
            >working, 2) I have run e2fsk just about every time I have re-booted
            >lately, because the re-boots find errors, 3) I believe I asked what
            ideas
            >people may have for an underlying problem.
            > It may be a simple matter of not shutting down, in which case I
            >can almost accept it as not a problem, it is just Linux being fussy,
            which
            >I do like...

            try running 'tunefs' on your filesystems. i have heard that this may
            help.

            sebastian.
          • SIMS, Paul, LCTL
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 1998
              Unfortunately power outages can seriously damage a hard disk's health. In
              the microseconds after the OS dies and the HDD spins down, random writes to
              the disk can corrupt the basic structure. This is true for whatever OS dies
              on you dur to power failure. I have had problems with shutdown hanging in
              the past which has been cured by reformatting the partition and restoring
              from backup. If your system has scsi disks, try running low-level scsi
              diagnostics to do a sector-by-sector surface check - if too many "hard"
              errors are present, ditch the drive. Either that or tell everyone the system
              is in M$-compatability mode !

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 1998
                On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, SIMS, Paul, LCTL wrote:

                > From: "SIMS, Paul, LCTL" <psims@...>
                >
                > Unfortunately power outages can seriously damage a hard disk's health. In
                > the microseconds after the OS dies and the HDD spins down, random writes to
                > the disk can corrupt the basic structure. This is true for whatever OS dies
                > on you dur to power failure. I have had problems with shutdown hanging in
                > the past which has been cured by reformatting the partition and restoring
                > from backup. If your system has scsi disks, try running low-level scsi
                > diagnostics to do a sector-by-sector surface check - if too many "hard"
                > errors are present, ditch the drive. Either that or tell everyone the system
                > is in M$-compatability mode !

                I don't believe that I have powered down the system (with that
                drive on it). The ``SCSI'' drive that I do have is a Parrallel port Zip
                disk. I'm not too concerned about if those disks become corupted.
                Unfortunately, I seem to be able to weather a power outage, but, it seems
                that shortly afterwords, it starts to become unstable (ie. doesn't return
                the virtual terminal getties, etc.)

                J Rasku

                --

                List manager: majordomo@...