Chipmunk BASIC

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
      I see that the Yahoo group on Chipmunk BASIC no longer exists, and I
      don't know if anyone has any other group relating to that. I have
      just installed CB on PCLOS, via alien, and it (mostly) works as
      advertised. (I was looking for something as close in operation to GW
      BASIC as I could find.) I have a question or two, which I'll post here.
      If anyone has any information to pass on, I would appreciate it.

      1. The "save" command (to save a program) does not appear to work.
      This is unfortunate, because, even tho you may write your code
      in an editor, as you debug, you can't save the result.
      2. Has anyone built an add-on or extension to give the program
      auto line numbering, ala GW BASIC, and if so, how can I get it?

      --doug
      --
      Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
      --A.M.Greeley
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
        https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Chipmunk+BASIC&t=canonical

        Or try searching in DuckDuckGo yourself, since it draws in more info. Funny it was ported from Pascal on the Mac, at least on on my quick glance. There appears to be some add-ons via some pages.

        Joan in Reno

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
          On 09/15/2013 03:51 PM, Joan Leach wrote:

          > https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Chipmunk+BASIC&t=canonical
          >
          > Or try searching in DuckDuckGo yourself, since it draws in more info.
          > Funny it was ported from Pascal on the Mac, at least on on my quick
          > glance. There appears to be some add-ons via some pages.
          >
          > Joan in Reno

          I went to the site you recommended, but it's all Mac-related, and I
          believe the source code is a bit different. Clicking the links provided
          kicked me back to your email. (?) I tried to follow the bounding ball to
          Yahoo, but I had no luck. (I didn't remember my login information, and
          they sent me what they said was it, and then let me reset my password,
          and then it didn't recognize the login again. I really don't want to get
          tangled up in Yahoo--they really are a bunch of yahoos over there!)

          Thanx for your interest, but I guess my questions are still unanswered.

          --doug

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013

            On 09/15/2013 03:51 PM, Joan Leach wrote:

            > https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Chipmunk+BASIC&t=canonical
            >
            > Or try searching in DuckDuckGo yourself, since it draws in more info.
            > Funny it was ported from Pascal on the Mac, at least on on my quick
            > glance. There appears to be some add-ons via some pages.
            >
            > Joan in Reno

            I went to the site you recommended, but it's all Mac-related, and I
            believe the source code is a bit different. Clicking the links provided
            kicked me back to your email. (?) I tried to follow the bounding ball to
            Yahoo, but I had no luck. (I didn't remember my login information, and
            they sent me what they said was it, and then let me reset my password,
            and then it didn't recognize the login again. I really don't want to get
            tangled up in Yahoo--they really are a bunch of yahoos over there!)

            Thanx for your interest, but I guess my questions are still unanswered.

            --doug

            If you add Linux after Chipmunk Basic, it's slightly different and shows some Forums, too.

            Joan in Reno

          • Doug
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
              On 09/15/2013 07:21 PM, Joan Leach wrote:

              /snip/

              > If you add Linux after Chipmunk Basic, it's slightly different and
              > shows some Forums, too.
              >
              > Joan in Reno

              Found a forum that claims to be active and signed up. We'll see what
              happens. Got this response:

              Congratulations!
              You are now a member of the mailing list for the group chipmunkbasicforum.
              You will receive a welcome message via email with information on web
              site address, posting messages and unsubscribing from the group.

              Thanx, Joan. --doug

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 15, 2013
                On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 05:57:26PM -0400, Doug wrote:
                > I tried to follow the bounding ball to Yahoo, but I had no luck. (I
                > didn't remember my login information, and they sent me what they said
                > was it, and then let me reset my password, and then it didn't
                > recognize the login again. I really don't want to get tangled up in
                > Yahoo--they really are a bunch of yahoos over there!)

                After six months Yahoo delete accounts due to inactivity. It happened to
                me, I CBA to create another account so I'm just leaving this one asis. I
                still post from the associated email address, but cannot change settings
                etc. Posting on Yahoo Groups doesn't count as activity in their view.
                (Shows how much they care.)

              • Joan Leach
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2013
                  Weird, sorry for top posting, but the attached was not what Yahoo showed me on screen as your reply could not load, perhaps like Thad reported it was text based? Could a possible cure be to link to another text reply forum or list with your answer to questions? Or to do what I just did?

                  For me, I have to watch for Yahoo at random jumping my font sizing around...drives me crazy!!

                  Joan in Reno

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2013
                    On 09/16/2013 10:37 AM, Joan Leach wrote:

                    > Weird, sorry for top posting, but the attached was not what Yahoo showed
                    > me on screen as your reply could not load, perhaps like Thad reported it
                    > was text based? Could a possible cure be to link to another text reply
                    > forum or list with your answer to questions? Or to do what I just did?
                    >
                    > For me, I have to watch for Yahoo at random jumping my font sizing
                    > around...drives me crazy!!
                    >
                    > Joan in Reno

                    Joan--
                    I don't know what reply you couldn't see. I am including you on this
                    reply, so even if the yahoos at Yahoo don't publish it, you'll see it.

                    The message might have been that thanx to your previous posts, I have
                    found a chipmunk basic forum that is apparently still alive, and joined
                    it. So thank you for your help.

                    --doug
                    --
                    Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
                    --A.M.Greeley
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013
                      [moderator note]

                      I corrected the top posting.  Please look at the articles linked on the list's home page about posting.  On this list, we use inline posting, that is, answer point A after point A, point B after point B, and so on.
                      Also, we do our best to trim when possible (which wasn't a problem in this case.)

                      > After six months Yahoo delete accounts due to inactivity. It happened to
                      > me, I CBA to create another account so I'm just leaving this one asis.

                      I assume that you are talking about user accounts. They Yahoo certainly does not pay attention to Yahoo Groups that have had no activity for years and are loaded with spam. I doubt that anyone would go after individual accounts.

                      Jim