Re: [linux] Yahoo services

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2013
      On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 07:57:45AM -0400, Scott wrote:
      > On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 01:51:37PM +0200, Pascal Bernhard wrote:
      > > Am 13-09-2013 11:12, schrieb ed:
      > > > Hi All,
      > > >
      > > > At least their maintenance window notices have some fun attached.
      > > >
      > > > http://usenix.org.uk/files/yahoo_flickr_maintenance.pdf
      > >
      > > LOL, have you noticed the socks of the girl? I wonder whether that
      > > might a result of the Fukushima nuclear incident?! I know that is mean,
      > > many people were killed or got seriously hurt by the accident and many
      > > more lives will be affected for years to come, I apologize.
      >
      > I suspect that the picture is from China rather than Japan. Pandas are
      > native to China, not Japan.

      I'd have a nose around the author's photos and look for clues,
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyokazu/8644384737/.

      I fear the Yahoo, shoot first, ask users later ethos is showing itself
      in flickr. The current maintenance notice shows they're aware of issues
      and fixing.

      From where I work we have to carefully schedule and estimate maintenance
      windows to fine degree. Does this look more like they're working on the
      master content?

      Maybe I'll go and do some thing fun, like play with Asterisk for a bit.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2013
        On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 05:10:22PM +0100, Ed wrote:

        > On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 07:57:45AM -0400, Scott wrote:

        > > > LOL, have you noticed the socks of the girl? I wonder whether that
        > > > might a result of the Fukushima nuclear incident?! I know that is mean,
        > > > many people were killed or got seriously hurt by the accident and many
        > > > more lives will be affected for years to come, I apologize.
        > >
        > > I suspect that the picture is from China rather than Japan. Pandas are
        > > native to China, not Japan.

        By Golly, when looking at it this morning, I completely missed that it was
        a toy panda. Yup, definitely Japan.

      • Pascal Bernhard
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2013
          On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 17:10 +0100, ed wrote:
          > On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 07:57:45AM -0400, Scott wrote:

          > > > LOL, have you noticed the socks of the girl? I wonder whether that
          > > > might a result of the Fukushima nuclear incident?! I know that is mean,
          > > > many people were killed or got seriously hurt by the accident and many
          > > > more lives will be affected for years to come, I apologize.
          > >
          > > I suspect that the picture is from China rather than Japan. Pandas are
          > > native to China, not Japan.

          Flunk me, you are totally right of course, Pandas live in China. Should
          have used my brain for a few seconds, shouldn't I?

          > I'd have a nose around the author's photos and look for clues,
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyokazu/8644384737/.

          How did I get that idea with Japan? I think it was the name of the
          artist, it sounds Japanese to me. May be that was it.

          Pascal

          --
          --------------------------------
          Pascal Bernhard

          Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
          VR 22706
          --------------------------------
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2013
            On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:10:11PM +0200, Pascal Bernhard wrote:

            > > > I suspect that the picture is from China rather than Japan. Pandas are
            > > > native to China, not Japan.
            > >

            > Flunk me, you are totally right of course, Pandas live in China. Should
            > have used my brain for a few seconds, shouldn't I?

            If you saw my follow up message, though, you were quite right--_I'd_ missed
            that it was a big toy panda, and therefore, thought it was in China. The
            photographer's name is Japanese and I'm sure you're right, that it was
            taken in Japan. However, I don't think the shoes had anything to do with
            Fukushima, probaby just some new style. :)