Re: [linux] Now I understand...

  • Pascal Bernhard
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2013
      On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 10:32 +0100, Godwin Stewart wrote:
      > Now I understand why Maemo and MeeGo (Debian Linux based operating
      > systems) were scrapped on Nokia phones, and I guess Stephen Elop
      > (Ex-Microsoft) becoming Nokia's CEO did kind of put the writing on the
      > wall:
      >
      > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23940171

      Maybe we should hope that Yahoo teams up with Microsoft, so it will go
      down the drain, too, that would be a blessing. Nokia's phones already
      sucked before they switched to Windows (it was Symbian back then). I
      doubt whether Windows Phone will ever have any real success. Microsoft
      came too late to the game, and as the quality of their products is not
      really a selling point (rather their market dominance and clout with
      hardware producers/vendors is) they probably won't catch up anymore.
      The BBC article points out that Nokia's Lumia phones had seen some
      success recently and that the number of devices sold with Windows Phone
      climbed from virtually nothing 1.5 years ago to 7.2m this year. Well the
      author seems to neglect that Windows Phone was launched only recently
      and starting from a low base (0 sales that is) every increase in sales
      looks impressive judged by percentage.

      Pascal

      --
      Pascal Bernhard