Re: [linux] its b3ta this time

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
      On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 07:54:57PM +0100, Ed wrote:
      > On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 02:31:34PM -0400, Scott wrote:
      > > Wouldn't this be fairly easily handled by adding an html handler to mutt,
      > > e.g., w3m?
      >
      > It is fairly simple to do, and that's what I have currently with lynx.
      > However, I frequently find that the text/plain part is far easier to
      > read. The newsletter is nicely formatted and very easy to read, well the
      > text/plain part is anyway.
      >
      > Not much will make me divert from defending text/plain parts. You should
      > see some of the corporate signatures that we're asked to use and just
      > how horridly cumbersome they are. HTML signatures aren't the problem
      > entirely, perhaps in an alternate universe HTML mail could be ok, it's
      > just that the majority of it is authored using MS Outhouse.

      You are preaching to the choir here. (If that's a US-ism, it means that
      you are talking to someone who already agrees with you.)

      > > Unfortunately, while this one is yahoo, everyone these days seems to think
      > > that html is the way to go. Even on tlug, a fairly technical list (Tokyo
      > > Linux User Group), someone was complaining the other day about the
      > > inability to use html mail.
      >
      > It could be down to most HTML files containing meta headers explaining
      > the character sets, although not essential it is helpful for the author.

      In the tlug person's case, they wanted to use italics or something. It was
      suggested, politely, that they use _word_, /word/ or the like, instead.

      > > Much as I dislike the fact that it's necessary, I've not only added to my
      > > mailcap and .muttrc to seamlessly handle html, but also had to add a
      > > mailcap entry to enable me to open an email in a browser. While job
      > > hunting, I have to be able to see these things. (And top post--I've had
      > > emails from recruiters saying they received a blank email. As, at present,
      > > I'm the supplicant, I have to do it their way.)

      > Recruiters seem to be the least technical people. *Really* hard to deal
      > with. They can hardly understand mail at the best of times.

      Ok, that was a literal Laugh out loud. Honestly, even though I've tried
      doing something like answers in line, they send back an email asking what I
      mean.

    • Matt Bailey
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
        On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:31:34 -0400
        Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 07:12:54PM +0100, Ed wrote:
        >
        > Much as I dislike the fact that it's necessary, I've not only added
        > to my mailcap and .muttrc to seamlessly handle html, but also had to
        > add a mailcap entry to enable me to open an email in a browser.
        > While job hunting, I have to be able to see these things. (And top
        > post--I've had emails from recruiters saying they received a blank
        > email. As, at present, I'm the supplicant, I have to do it their
        > way.)

        That last bit about the recruiters is pretty hard to fathom...and then
        I read the other comment about in-line posting being met with a
        complete lack of comprehension from the recruiter.

        I must admit, there are rare situations where bottom-posting or
        in-line posting annoys me and makes the message harder to
        read....sometimes a quick summary at the top of the message is best
        (especially when the discussion is only between two people). Of course,
        when in Rome, I do as the Romans. :)

        Matt
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2013

          http://b3ta.com/board/11003535