Re: My prediction was true -- Yahoo Groups will shortly be destroyed

  • jdreimer
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 26 5:51 PM

      <snip>

      Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but don't forget that Majordomo is still up and running at vger.kernel.org.

      --
      -jdr-
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 26 9:39 PM
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jdreimer" <jdr@...> wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@> wrote:
        > >
        > <snip>
        > > I'll contact John Levine at MIT and get his code for the dual
        > > maillist and Usenet distribution used for comp.dcom.telecom since
        > > 1981. The only other possible venue is gmane but it's not yet
        > > clear to me how that works. GMANE info here:
        > >
        > > http://gmane.org/
        >
        > Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but don't forget that
        > Majordomo is still up and running at vger.kernel.org.

        We need to have a backup plan in place before Yahoo totally destroys
        Yahoo groups (which includes this group, linux) given Yahoo is clearly
        on a destructive and nonusable path beginning with their new CEO.

        What already has been seen (I've seen screenshots of "NEO" and it really
        sucks badly and people are unable to post articles or replies, the
        message archive is unavailable, and moderator functions are gone).

        Yahoo Groups is becoming worse than Google Groups which got badly
        hosed last year.

        If Yahoo would simply dismantle their "Groups developer staff" and
        restore everything back to how it was a month ago everything would be
        fine, but that isn't going to happen as far as I can tell, so we will
        either move this and other groups to another venue or simply give up
        and let the group(s) die. Those are the choices presently available.

        I just checked http://vger.kernel.org/ and it doesn't appear relevant
        as a venue for this or any other "general" linux group because:

        The mission of vger.kernel.org is to provide email list services
        for the linux kernel developers.

        There are few members of this group that qualify for participation in
        Majordomo per the lists cited on this page:

        http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

        because it's for kernel developers.

        If there's another set of non-kernel-related lists there that you
        know about (which I'm NOT seeing by browsing a number of pages there)
        please let this group know.

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 27 12:29 AM
          On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 04:39:11AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jdreimer" <jdr@...> wrote:
          > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > <snip>
          > > > I'll contact John Levine at MIT and get his code for the dual
          > > > maillist and Usenet distribution used for comp.dcom.telecom since
          > > > 1981. The only other possible venue is gmane but it's not yet
          > > > clear to me how that works. GMANE info here:
          > > >
          > > > http://gmane.org/
          > >
          > > Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but don't forget that
          > > Majordomo is still up and running at vger.kernel.org.
          >
          > We need to have a backup plan in place before Yahoo totally destroys
          > Yahoo groups (which includes this group, linux) given Yahoo is clearly
          > on a destructive and nonusable path beginning with their new CEO.

          If nothing else is possible I don't mind hosting the lists on my mail
          server.

        • jdreimer
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 27 3:31 PM

            > If there's another set of non-kernel-related lists there that you
            > know about (which I'm NOT seeing by browsing a number of pages there)
            > please let this group know.

            The only list to which I ever subscribed was linux-newbie, and it is definitely not for kernel developers. One problem, however, is no moderation, so SPAM does show up in your inbox.

            --
            -jdr-
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 27 6:47 PM
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jdreimer" <jdr@...> wrote:
              > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
              > > [...]
              > > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html
              > >
              > > If there's another set of non-kernel-related lists there that you
              > > know about (which I'm NOT seeing by browsing a number of pages there)
              > > please let this group know.
              >
              > The only list to which I ever subscribed was linux-newbie, and it is
              > definitely not for kernel developers. One problem, however, is no
              > moderation, so SPAM does show up in your inbox.

              One's inbox can be totally free of spam using the guidelines I posted
              recently (using qmail, spamassassin, procmail, etc.).

              Re: the lists, I had quickly glanced at the extremely poorly formatted
              vger-lists page yesterday and didn't notice 'linux-newbie'. A quick
              copy'n'paste from there into emacs and a few moments' worth of work we
              have a readable list noting that most of the lists have fewer than 100
              subscribers per the more-detailed info at the above URL:

              alsa-devel autofs backports ceph-devel
              cgroups cpufreq dash dccp
              devicetree dwarves ecryptfs fio
              git-commits-24 git-commits-head git hail-devel
              initramfs irda-users kernel-janitors kernel-packagers
              kernel-testers kvm-commits kvm-ia64 kvm-ppc
              kvm lartc linux-8086 linux-acpi
              linux-admin linux-alpha linux-api linux-apps
              linux-arch linux-arm-msm linux-assembly linux-bbs
              linux-bcache linux-bluetooth linux-btrace linux-btrfs
              linux-c-programming linux-can linux-cifs linux-config
              linux-console linux-crypto linux-diald linux-doc
              linux-edac linux-efi linux-embedded linux-ext4
              linux-fbdev linux-fido linux-fsdevel linux-fsf
              linux-ftp linux-gcc linux-gpio linux-hams
              linux-hexagon linux-hotplug linux-i2c linux-ia64
              linux-ibcs2 linux-ide linux-iio linux-input
              linux-ipx linux-isdn linux-japanese linux-kbuild
              linux-kernel-announce linux-kernel-announce.posters
              linux-kernel linux-laptop linux-leds linux-linuxss
              linux-lugnuts linux-m68k-cvscommit linux-m68k
              linux-man linux-mca linux-media linux-metag
              linux-mmc linux-modules linux-msdos-devel linux-msdos
              linux-new-lists linux-newbie linux-next linux-nfs
              linux-nilfs linux-numa linux-omap linux-opengl
              linux-parisc linux-pci linux-perf-users linux-pm
              linux-ppp linux-pwm linux-raid linux-rdma
              linux-rt-users linux-s390 linux-samsung-soc linux-scsi
              linux-sctp linux-security-module linux-serial linux-sh
              linux-smp linux-sound linux-sparse linux-spi
              linux-standards linux-svgalib linux-tape linux-tegra
              linux-tip-commits linux-trace-users linux-usb linux-userfs
              linux-watchdog linux-wireless linux-word linux-x11
              linux-x25 linux-x86_64 linux-xfs lvs-devel
              mm-commits netdev netfilter-devel netfilter
              platform-driver-x86 reiserfs-devel smatch sparclinux
              stable-commits stable-rt stable stgt
              target-devel trinity ultralinux util-linux
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 27 6:57 PM
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
                > On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 04:39:11AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                > > [...]
                > > We need to have a backup plan in place before Yahoo totally destroys
                > > Yahoo groups (which includes this group, linux) given Yahoo is
                > > clearly on a destructive and nonusable path beginning with their
                > > new CEO.
                >
                > If nothing else is possible I don't mind hosting the lists on my mail
                > server.

                Hi Ed,

                Thanks! We need to keep that in mind. Yahoo is still incommunicado and
                not revealing their plans for destroying Groups so we have no idea
                regarding the available time frame before NEO infects everything.

                I'm assuming it can happen any day now since the Yahoo idiots and morons
                continuously place untested crap code into production with no warning
                daily.

                When it happens, I'll be leaving all Yahoo groups immediately.

                Thad
              • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 27 8:16 PM
                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jdreimer" <jdr@...> wrote:

                  > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > If there's another set of non-kernel-related lists there that you
                  > > know about (which I'm NOT seeing by browsing a number of pages there) please let this group know.
                  >
                  > The only list to which I ever subscribed was linux-newbie, and it is definitely not for kernel developers. One problem, however, is no moderation, so SPAM does show up in your inbox.
                  > -jdr-

                  The only linux-newbie is a Yahoo Group, since I'm also a member there.

                  Joan in Reno
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 27 8:56 PM
                    --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
                    > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jdreimer" <jdr@> wrote:
                    > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > If there's another set of non-kernel-related lists there that you
                    > > > know about (which I'm NOT seeing by browsing a number of pages
                    > > > there) please let this group know.
                    > >
                    > > The only list to which I ever subscribed was linux-newbie, and it
                    > > is definitely not for kernel developers. One problem, however, is
                    > > no moderation, so SPAM does show up in your inbox.
                    >
                    > The only linux-newbie is a Yahoo Group, since I'm also a member
                    > there.

                    Hi Joan,

                    Au contraire, there are probably 100s of groups named 'linux-newbie'
                    across the Internet's many venues. The Majordomo one can be seen
                    here:

                    http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

                    scroll down about 55% and see:

                    List: linux-newbie; 877 subscribers

                    A forum for Linux "Newbies" (new users) to ask questions and compare
                    notes.

                    Archives:
                    http://marc.info/?l=linux-newbie
                    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=mlist.linux.newbie
                    http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Linux/
                    http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-newbie/

                    To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie"
                    in the body of a message to majordomo@...

                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 27 9:20 PM
                      > Au contraire, there are probably 100s of groups named 'linux-newbie'
                      > across the Internet's many venues. The Majordomo one can be seen
                      > here:
                      >
                      > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html
                      > [...]

                      I just checked; the Yahoo one is named 'LINUX_Newbies' per:

                      Google Groups' is named:

                      https://groups.google.com/d/forum/lucky.linux.newbie

                      Usenet doesn't appear to have one since, by definition, one would NOT
                      be a newbie if one is using Usenet. With that written, I just did a
                      Usenet search for 'newbie' and found these groups:

                      alt.pl.comp.os.freebsd.newbie
                      alt.pl.comp.os.linux.newbie
                      alt.usenet.newbies
                      lucky.freebsd.newbies
                      muc.lists.freebsd.newbies
                      nlo.list.kernelnewbies
                      nlo.list.kernelnewbies-cvs
                      uklinux.help.newbies

                      FWIW, I've used Usenet since 1981 and I'm in the O'Reilly book titled
                      "Managing uucp and Usenet"; 4 scanned pages here:

                      http://thadlabs.com/FILES/OR_Mng_uucp+Usenet.pdf 165kB

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 28 2:00 AM
                        On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 01:57:26AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
                        > > If nothing else is possible I don't mind hosting the lists on my mail
                        > > server.

                        > Thanks! We need to keep that in mind.

                        Not a problem.

                        > Yahoo is still incommunicado and not revealing their plans for
                        > destroying Groups so we have no idea regarding the available time
                        > frame before NEO infects everything.

                        If you're having trouble communicating with Yahoo! have you thought
                        about getting her or a PR person on public radio/tv for a "chat" about
                        the situation of Yahoo! and what they're going to do to strengthen their
                        position in the market? Just a thought.

                        > I'm assuming it can happen any day now since the Yahoo idiots and morons
                        > continuously place untested crap code into production with no warning
                        > daily.

                        Fortunately it doesn't affect me.

                        > When it happens, I'll be leaving all Yahoo groups immediately.

                        It seems few ISPs want to do email these days, it is all http/fecebook.
                        Maybe there's a place in the market for email discussion lists after
                        all?

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 28 4:26 AM
                          On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:00:42AM +0100, Ed wrote:

                          > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 01:57:26AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                          > Not a problem.
                          >
                          > > Yahoo is still incommunicado and not revealing their plans for
                          > > destroying Groups so we have no idea regarding the available time
                          > > frame before NEO infects everything.

                          Well, they just ruined their sports news page. See yesterday's slashdot.

                          http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/08/27/1422223/yahoo-sports-redesign-sparks-controversy-disdain-from-users

                          And, taking a look at the page, the article's right, it was one more thing
                          that should have been left alone.

                        • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 28 6:39 AM
                            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                            > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:00:42AM +0100, Ed wrote:
                            >
                            > > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 01:57:26AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                            > > Not a problem.
                            > >
                            > > > Yahoo is still incommunicado and not revealing their plans for
                            > > > destroying Groups so we have no idea regarding the available time frame before NEO infects everything.
                            >
                            > Well, they just ruined their sports news page. See yesterday's slashdot.
                            >
                            > http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/08/27/1422223/yahoo-sports-redesign-sparks-controversy-disdain-from-users
                            > >
                            > And, taking a look at the page, the article's right, it was one more thing that should have been left alone.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Scott Robbins
                            > PGP keyID EB3467D6

                            Perhaps they don't use Firefox and know about View, Page Style, None...I use that when I come across black or other colors that don't come across as good for or to me. When I used Chrome/ium I used an add-on extension to change it instead.

                            I wonder why Yahoo thinks they have to change how the Yahoo Groups have their individual webpages come across, they aren't members to it, are they? Each member pays usually to belong like I do, since I use AT&T, or is there that many that use it free, and so have no recourse, I suppose?

                            I wonder if all Yahoo Groups offered bribe money to have Yahoo to back-off if it would work? I know I'd spend an extra $5.00 a month to have Groups back on the their Toolbar and have all the complaints I see disappear in the various Yahoo Groups.

                            Joan in Reno
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 28 9:31 AM
                              On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 07:26:50AM -0400, Scott wrote:
                              > Well, they just ruined their sports news page. See yesterday's slashdot.
                              >
                              > http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/08/27/1422223/yahoo-sports-redesign-sparks-controversy-disdain-from-users
                              >
                              > And, taking a look at the page, the article's right, it was one more thing
                              > that should have been left alone.

                              Some time ago, I used Netscape TV guides. We only had four/five channels
                              then and I would have been connecting to the internet using a dial up
                              modem. Netscape was later owned by AOL and things stopped, such as UK TV
                              listings. There just wasn't anything else around at the time that would
                              be at all useful.

                              Later Yahoo started to do the TV listings, "Great!" I thought. Later
                              they stopped too. So, I am as annoyed with AOL as I am with Yahoo.

                              There's no real reason for hiding data. Hell, if I was really bothered
                              I'd look at where MythTV gets the data and reproduce.

                              Yahoo should listen to the voices of age, "we want useful data in a
                              plain text form".

                            • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 28 9:46 AM
                                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:

                                > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 07:26:50AM -0400, Scott wrote:
                                > > Well, they just ruined their sports news page. See yesterday's slashdot.
                                > >
                                > > http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/08/27/1422223/yahoo-sports-redesign-sparks-controversy-disdain-from-users
                                ---
                                > Some time ago, I used Netscape TV guides. We only had four/five channels then and I would have been connecting to the internet using a dial up modem. Netscape was later owned by AOL and things stopped, such as UK TV listings. There just wasn't anything else around at the time that would be at all useful.
                                >
                                > Later Yahoo started to do the TV listings, "Great!" I thought. Later
                                > they stopped too. So, I am as annoyed with AOL as I am with Yahoo.
                                > --
                                > Best regards,
                                > Ed http://www.s5h.net/

                                I use Zap2it for my TV show guide, just puy in your time zone, etc.:
                                http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=zap2it

                                Joan in Reno
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 28 11:13 AM
                                  On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 04:46:14PM -0000, jleach728@... wrote:

                                  > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > ---
                                  > > Some time ago, I used Netscape TV guides. We only had four/five channels then and I would have been connecting to the internet using a dial up modem. Netscape was later owned by AOL and things stopped, such as UK TV listings. There just wasn't anything else around at the time that would be at all useful.
                                  > >
                                  > > Later Yahoo started to do the TV listings, "Great!" I thought. Later
                                  > > they stopped too. So, I am as annoyed with AOL as I am with Yahoo.
                                  > >
                                  > I use Zap2it for my TV show guide, just puy in your time zone, etc.:
                                  > http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?aid=zap2it

                                  Note that Ed's in the UK. Does Zap2it cover that?

                                • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 28 11:27 AM
                                    --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                                    > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 04:46:14PM -0000, jleach728@... wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > ---
                                    > > > Some time ago, I used Netscape TV guides. We only had four/five channels then and I would have been connecting to the internet using a dial up modem. Netscape was later owned by AOL and things stopped, such as UK TV listings. There just wasn't anything else around at the time that would be at all useful.

                                    ---
                                    > Note that Ed's in the UK. Does Zap2it cover that?
                                    > --
                                    > Scott Robbins
                                    > PGP keyID EB3467D6

                                    http://www.worldtvpc.com/TVguides/tvguideUK.php

                                    OK, I found the above which should help point him to some more choices.

                                    Joan in Reno
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 28 12:26 PM
                                      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                                      > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:00:42AM +0100, Ed wrote:
                                      > > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 01:57:26AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                                      > > Not a problem.
                                      > >
                                      > > > Yahoo is still incommunicado and not revealing their plans for
                                      > > > destroying Groups so we have no idea regarding the available
                                      > > > time frame before NEO infects everything.
                                      >
                                      > Well, they just ruined their sports news page. See yesterday's slashdot.
                                      >
                                      > http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/08/27/1422223/yahoo-sports-redesign-sparks-controversy-disdain-from-users
                                      > >
                                      > And, taking a look at the page, the article's right, it was one more thing
                                      > that should have been left alone.

                                      Hi Scott,

                                      And the linux group will shortly be in the idiot CEO Marissa Mayer's
                                      crosshairs.

                                      No one in Silicon Valley seems to give a damn about Yahoo; here's an
                                      article from the 'Frisco Chronicle yesterday:

                                      http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/08/27/yahoo-reawakening-continues-with-refresh-of-sports-movies-weather-and-other-properties/

                                      Look at that article's "Reader Comments" on the second comment page
                                      and note the 4 comments from "Cap'n Coder". I wonder who that very
                                      knowledgable and insightful person is? :-)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 28 12:40 PM
                                        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
                                        > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 01:57:26AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                                        > > [...]
                                        > > Yahoo is still incommunicado and not revealing their plans for
                                        > > destroying Groups so we have no idea regarding the available time
                                        > > frame before NEO infects everything.
                                        >
                                        > If you're having trouble communicating with Yahoo! have you thought
                                        > about getting her or a PR person on public radio/tv for a "chat"
                                        > about the situation of Yahoo! and what they're going to do to
                                        > strengthen their position in the market? Just a thought.

                                        The local (San Francisco Bay Area) media (radio, TV, news websites)
                                        are in bed with the CEOs of most medium to large companies here and
                                        anything that's not scripted and censored will not be published. In
                                        fact the San Francisco Chronicle publishes only complimentary blurbs
                                        and "news" about Yahoo because Yahoo provides sfgate's ads and other
                                        crapola and seems to be running sfgate's CentOS servers as I noticed
                                        back in January when there was a glitch on the front page all the way
                                        at the bottom of http://www.sfgate.com/ which I check daily to collect
                                        more evidence.

                                        > [...]
                                        > Fortunately it doesn't affect me.

                                        Yes it will when the message archives have disappeared and Yahoo's
                                        mail routing maze of twisty little passages going nowhere finally
                                        prevent you from posting or reading anything regarding Yahoo Groups
                                        as has already happened to many people and other groups.

                                        > [...]
                                        > It seems few ISPs want to do email these days, it is all
                                        > http/fecebook.
                                        > Maybe there's a place in the market for email discussion lists after
                                        > all?

                                        There is and it's Usenet since 1981 as I've written before. The
                                        scheme used by Usenet's comp.dcom.telecom seems ideal because it
                                        distributes and receives content BOTH via email and a Usenet protocol
                                        and every message is archived here which is publicly readable:

                                        http://telecom-digest.org/
                                        aka
                                        http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 28 12:56 PM
                                          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
                                          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
                                          > > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:00:42AM +0100, Ed wrote:
                                          > > > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 01:57:26AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                                          > > > Not a problem.

                                          > > > time frame before NEO infects everything.
                                          > >
                                          > > Well, they just ruined their sports news page. See yesterday's
                                          > > slashdot.
                                          > >
                                          > > http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/08/27/1422223/yahoo-sports-redesign-sparks-controversy-disdain-from-users
                                          > >
                                          > > And, taking a look at the page, the article's right, it was one more thing that should have been left alone.
                                          > [...]
                                          > Perhaps they don't use Firefox and know about View, Page Style,
                                          > None...I use that when I come across black or other colors that
                                          > don't come across as good for or to me. When I used Chrome/ium I
                                          > used an add-on extension to change it instead.

                                          Hi Joan,

                                          Switching-around things like that and messing with a browser's config
                                          is both a timewaste and unnecessary if a web page wasn't designed by
                                          slack-jawed knuckle-dragging LOL'ing fecebook-using H1-B indentured
                                          servants.

                                          Better to just ignore the page(s) and never the site again as I do
                                          for many websites that are designed by idiots and morons.

                                          And, yes, the problem is the H1-B idiot coders. There are scores of
                                          articles I collect weekly about this issue and idiots like the CEOs
                                          of Yahoo, Google, Fecebook, Twatter, and 100s of others are lobbying
                                          for more H1-B visas to be issued to they can fire American workers and
                                          bring in the H1-B indentured servants and pay MUCH LOWER WAGES and
                                          they get what they pay for: crapola code.

                                          > I wonder why Yahoo thinks they have to change how the Yahoo Groups
                                          > have their individual webpages come across, they aren't members to
                                          > it, are they? Each member pays usually to belong like I do, since I
                                          > use AT&T, or is there that many that use it free, and so have no
                                          > recourse, I suppose?

                                          Huh? No one pays to use Yahoo (or Google or fecebook or ...).

                                          > I wonder if all Yahoo Groups offered bribe money to have Yahoo to
                                          > back-off if it would work? I know I'd spend an extra $5.00 a month
                                          > to have Groups back on the their Toolbar and have all the
                                          > complaints I see disappear in the various Yahoo Groups.

                                          Nope. NEVER. Yahoo's income is derived from ad sales and paying
                                          Yahoo more money doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Yahoo should
                                          be DEfunded and go belly up.

                                          In fact, the only way Yahoo (even the Group web interface) is even
                                          usable is to block ALL ADS and even this new one I discovered just
                                          last week and put in my /etc/hosts files:

                                          [...]
                                          127.0.0.1 www.truveo.com
                                          # New Yahoo sh!t to ignore 20-AUG-2013
                                          127.0.0.1 us.lrd.yahoo.com
                                          [...]

                                          Thad
                                        • Dale Miller
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 28 1:07 PM
                                            On 8/28/2013 11:31 AM, ed wrote:
                                            > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 07:26:50AM -0400, Scott wrote:
                                            >
                                            > Some time ago, I used Netscape TV guides. We only had four/five channels
                                            > then and I would have been connecting to the internet using a dial up
                                            > modem. Netscape was later owned by AOL and things stopped, such as UK TV
                                            > listings. There just wasn't anything else around at the time that would
                                            > be at all useful.
                                            >
                                            > Later Yahoo started to do the TV listings, "Great!" I thought. Later
                                            > they stopped too. So, I am as annoyed with AOL as I am with Yahoo.
                                            >
                                            > There's no real reason for hiding data. Hell, if I was really bothered
                                            > I'd look at where MythTV gets the data and reproduce.

                                            ed
                                            I use http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ with my MythTV system because it
                                            is more consistent than get the guide via over the air antenna. The
                                            guide that is fed over the antenna doesn't give me 2 weeks out and it
                                            tends to be inconsistent. Schedules Direct charges 25 a year but you can
                                            see why at there website above.

                                            --
                                            All the Best & 73's
                                            Dale Miller, KC2CBD