Is this guy confused...Distrowatch weekly

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
      9 • Virus on 3 LAPTOPS (by Robert on 2013-08-26 16:25:20 GMT from United States)
      Ubuntu, Mint and Peppermint, and Fedora. There is a virtual desktop and a "control" in /dev

      This
      all came from updating each distro. The virus is in the CMOS and I am
      tired of fooling with it. The server has obviously been hacked. DO NOT
      UPDATE YOUR LAPTOP!!!
      ----
      This seems unlikely since he mentions 4 different Distros, or am I wrong?
      Joan in Reno

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
        On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:21:02AM -0700, Joan Leach wrote:

        > 9 • Virus on 3 LAPTOPS (by Robert on 2013-08-26 16:25:20 GMT from United States)
        > Ubuntu, Mint and Peppermint, and Fedora. There is a virtual desktop and a "control" in /dev
        >
        > This
        > all came from updating each distro. The virus is in the CMOS and I am
        > tired of fooling with it. The server has obviously been hacked. DO NOT
        > UPDATE YOUR LAPTOP!!!
        > ----
        > This seems unlikely since he mentions 4 different Distros, or am I wrong?

        Probably bogus, need more information. What is the "control" in /dev?

        What's the issue of a virtual desktop? I have four on this xfce and no
        issue so far...

        I'd be more bothered about a screen session running as a dubious new
        user account, but then if you get root, I guess ps/top would be
        different, and so too would the sha/md5 sum programs...

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

          > Virus on 3 LAPTOPS (by Robert on 2013-08-26 16:25:20 GMT from
          > United States)
          > Ubuntu, Mint and Peppermint, and Fedora. There is a virtual
          > desktop and a "control" in /dev
          >
          > This
          > all came from updating each distro. The virus is in the CMOS and
          > I am
          > tired of fooling with it. The server has obviously been hacked. DO
          > NOT
          > UPDATE YOUR LAPTOP!!!
          > ----
          > This seems unlikely since he mentions 4 different Distros, or am I
          > wrong?
          > Joan in Reno

          Hi Joan,

          Are you sure it was Distrowatch? You should have included the URL.

          There is NOTHING like what you wrote above on this week's Distrowatch
          Weekly today:

          http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130826

          There is a "Reader Comment" from some nutcase who provides no evidence
          and it seems totally bogus.

          All subsequent comments to Robert the Nutcase's comment are like the
          following one:

          "No offense but this sounds trollish...."

          and this one:

          "McRae is correct is saying that it sounds trollish, and it very
          well could be. It's easy to tell when you see a lack of
          technical knowledge. ;)"

          It doesn't even make sense when you think about it.

          What is VERY nasty are the malwares (for Linux, too) which add new
          entries in a hard drive's "bad sector list" which are, in fact, still
          good sectors and then the malware inserts in those good sectors and it
          cannot be removed without doing a low-level format of which there are
          few programs that can do that as we discussed here recently:

          Wed Jul 3, 2013 6:07 pm
          Re: Yahoo just added links to Yahoo crapola on the Groups' ...

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
            > There is NOTHING like what you wrote above on this week's Distrowatch
            > Weekly today:
            >
            > http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130826
            > [...]

            The nutcase Robert's comment has been removed as have all comments about
            Robert's trollish comment.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
              On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 08:45:20PM +0100, Ed wrote:
              > On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:21:02AM -0700, Joan Leach wrote:
              > >
              > > 9 • Virus on 3 LAPTOPS (by Robert on 2013-08-26 16:25:20 GMT from United States)
              > > Ubuntu, Mint and Peppermint, and Fedora. There is a virtual desktop and a "control" in /dev
              > >
              > > This
              > > all came from updating each distro. The virus is in the CMOS and I am
              > > tired of fooling with it. The server has obviously been hacked. DO NOT
              > > UPDATE YOUR LAPTOP!!!

              I have no idea what they were talking about. As I've updated both Ubuntu
              based (Lubuntu), and Fedora and have no viruses, I suspect the person was,
              at best, very mistaken.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
                On Mon, August 26, 2013 7:21 pm, Joan Leach wrote:

                > This
                > all came from updating each distro. The virus is in the CMOS and I am
                > tired of fooling with it. The server has obviously been hacked. DO NOT
                > UPDATE YOUR LAPTOP!!!

                FWIW I've never heard of a virus infecting the CMOS. There can't be enough
                space in the CMOS to store any effective code!

                --
                Godwin Stewart -- <grs.ygroups@...>