Re: Picked up a HP "Aloe" MOBO with a quad-core CPU...

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2013
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > No, he just let me hear the error codes that denoted no RAM was
      > installed. I did get into the BIOS at my friend's place in Sun
      > Valley with his borrowed stick of DDR3 RAM.
      > [...]

      Hi Joan,

      Your last sentence above has been bugging me.

      Was just one DIMM installed? [re: the problems installing Linux]

      With a motherboard having 4 DIMM slots as yours does, there is
      NORMALLY a specific order and sizing that RAM can be inserted. Given
      there's no real mobo manual for your mobo (but see below), the best
      solution is to always populate ALL the DIMM slots with the identical
      type of RAM (but see below, too).

      You may be able to infer the correct DIMM insertion sequence by looking
      at a similar Foxconn motherboard manual and making the reasonable
      assumption other Foxconn mobos will have the same "rules".

      I searched using this:

      Foxconn RS880 motherboard manual filetype:pdf download

      and there were only 3 results, only 2 of which seem useful:

      Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 19th edition 63MB 1175 pages

      http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/que/bookreg/9780132776875/URPCs_19thEdition.pdf

      Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 20th edition, 25.2 MB, 1102 pages

      http://dl.softgozar.com/Files/Ebook/UPGRADING_AND_Repairing_PCs_20th_Edition_SoftGozar.com.pdf

      You might try Googling about adding RAM to an HP E9200Z per:

      how to add ram to HP Pavilion e9200z

      since that uses the same motherboard; hits include Crucial and
      others.

      A general rule is this (and VERY important to remember):

      With 4 DIMM slots, there are two banks of RAM and each bank has two
      slots. You must add DIMM two pieces at a time of the same size and
      type at the same time into each bank.

      Usually each bank of two slots has the same colored slots to help
      prevent confusion. Each bank may have different-size DIMMs
      but all DIMMs in the same bank must be the same.

      So, if only one DIMM was inserted, that may have worked for the BIOS
      but will be troublesome running an OS.

      Thad
    • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3 8:57 AM

        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@" <jleach728@> wrote:
        > > [...]
        >
        > Hi Joan,
        >
        > Your last sentence above has been bugging me.
        >
        > Was just one DIMM installed? [re: the problems installing Linux]

        You were right, I picked up a couple of 2x2 GB sticks and have been testing various Linux 64-bit CDs/DVDs. The 40 GB SATA hard drive that my Sun Valley friend put in hasn't been seen yet, any chance the HP SATA controllers are like the old SCSI controllers and have to be set up by the control key combo first? Otherwise, I'll be trying a USB install or shopping for SATA hard drives.

        > You may be able to infer the correct DIMM insertion sequence by looking at a similar Foxconn motherboard manual and making the reasonable assumption other Foxconn mobos will have the same "rules".
        >
        > I searched using this:
        >
        > Foxconn RS880 motherboard manual filetype:pdf download
        >
        > and there were only 3 results, only 2 of which seem useful:
        >
        > Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 19th edition 63MB 1175 pages
        >
        > http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/que/bookreg/9780132776875/URPCs_19thEdition.pdf
        >
        > Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 20th edition, 25.2 MB, 1102 pages
        >
        > http://dl.softgozar.com/Files/Ebook/UPGRADING_AND_Repairing_PCs_20th_Edition_SoftGozar.com.pdf
        >
        > You might try Googling about adding RAM to an HP E9200Z per:
        >
        > how to add ram to HP Pavilion e9200z
        >
        > since that uses the same motherboard; hits include Crucial and
        > others.
        >
        > A general rule is this (and VERY important to remember):
        >
        > With 4 DIMM slots, there are two banks of RAM and each bank has two
        > slots. You must add DIMM two pieces at a time of the same size and
        > type at the same time into each bank.
        >
        > Usually each bank of two slots has the same colored slots to help
        > prevent confusion. Each bank may have different-size DIMMs
        > but all DIMMs in the same bank must be the same.
        >
        > So, if only one DIMM was inserted, that may have worked for the BIOS
        > but will be troublesome running an OS.
        >
        > Thad

        Thanks for the links...

        Joan in Reno
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3 6:01 PM
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
          > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@" <jleach728@> wrote:
          > > > [...]
          > >
          > > Hi Joan,
          > >
          > > Your last sentence above has been bugging me.
          > >
          > > Was just one DIMM installed? [re: the problems installing Linux]
          > > [...]
          >
          > You were right, I picked up a couple of 2x2 GB sticks and have been
          > testing various Linux 64-bit CDs/DVDs. The 40 GB SATA hard drive
          > that my Sun Valley friend put in hasn't been seen yet, any chance
          > the HP SATA controllers are like the old SCSI controllers and have
          > to be set up by the control key combo first?

          Hi Joan,

          I have five consumer-level HP/Compaq systems here with SATA and two
          business-class systems (the dc5850 refurbs from Newegg) with SATA and
          there is nothing unusual at all with FreeBSD, Solaris, OpenIndiana,
          Fedora, CentOS and others on those systems. I did have to do a trick
          using 'map' with one system that double boots into CentOS and Winxp
          in the grub config per:

          [...]
          title Windows XP SP3
          map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
          map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
          rootnoverify (hd1,0)
          chainloader +1

          title REBOOT
          reboot

          that I didn't have to do for those double-/triple-booting also into
          Vista or Win7:

          [...]
          title Windows Vista SP2
          rootnoverify (hd1,0)
          chainloader +1

          title REBOOT
          reboot

          > > [...]
          > > Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 19th edition 63MB 1175 pages
          > >
          > > http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/que/bookreg/9780132776875/URPCs_19thEdition.pdf
          > >
          > > Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 20th edition, 25.2 MB, 1102 pages
          > >
          > > http://dl.softgozar.com/Files/Ebook/UPGRADING_AND_Repairing_PCs_20th_Edition_SoftGozar.com.pdf
          > > [...]
          >
          > Thanks for the links...

          You're very welcome!

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3 6:37 PM
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@" <jleach728@> wrote:
            > > > [...]
            > >
            > > Hi Joan,
            > >
            > > Your last sentence above has been bugging me.
            > >
            > > Was just one DIMM installed? [re: the problems installing Linux]
            > >
            > You were right, I picked up a couple of 2x2 GB sticks and have been
            > testing various Linux 64-bit CDs/DVDs. The 40 GB SATA hard drive that
            > my Sun Valley friend put in hasn't been seen yet, any chance the HP
            > SATA controllers are like the old SCSI controllers and have to be set
            > up by the control key combo first? Otherwise, I'll be trying a USB
            > install or shopping for SATA hard drives.

            Hi Joan,

            What is the manufacturer and model number of that 40GB SATA drive?

            I have 60GB PATA drives in my laptops and it's difficult to find any
            SATA drives less than, say, 500GB nowadays.

            Either that drive is dead or it's not compatible with the SATA version
            on that motherboard. A

            Does it even show up in the BIOS?

            The Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA states SATA
            debuted in 2003.

            A 40GB SATA drive is very likely SATA-1 which does NOT support command
            queuing and it's also likely to be 10 years old now. It might be best
            using it for a doorstop or a paper weight. Opening it up and removing
            the platter(s) would be a good source of bicycle hub shim(s) or as
            ornament(s) for a December holiday tree. :-)