Re: Quick poll

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 25, 2013
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      >On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 09:35:50PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      >> [...]
      >> The onboard graphics [of the HP dc5850] are shown by 'lspci -nn' as
      >>
      >> Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780C [Radeon HD 3100]
      >
      > I'm not sure if Elrepo does Radeon or not -- I see with a quick
      > google that there is something.
      >
      > http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx

      Hi Scott,

      Thank you VERY much for that above URL; I have NO record of what it is
      I installed on my CentOS box last year and by quickly searching using
      for 'kmod' and 'fglrx' I found this article I wrote which attracted
      some 20+ replies in the associated thread:

      Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm
      Simplest way installing ATI Radeon Catalyst driver in CentOS 6

      Here's what I wrote [extracted] in that article:

      Googling found this page for installing a Radeon driver for CentOS 6:

      http://xflinux.blogspot.com/2011/11/simplest-way-of-installing-ati-catalyst.html

      And here are the 5 steps:

      # yum upgrade
      # rpm -Uvh http://elrepo.org/elrepo-release-6-4.el6.elrepo.noarch.rpm
      # yum install kmod-fglrx fglrx-x11-drv
      # aticonfig --initial
      # reboot

      Performing those steps 'primitized' the CentOS bootup screen. Video
      performance was improved but like any onboard graphics chip prior to
      2013 the performance is still lacking -- that's why I have a number of
      nVIDIA 9800GTX cards on a bunch of systems (esp. my gaming box).

      Thad
    • Matt Bailey
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 25, 2013
        On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 22:35:34 +0100
        ed <ed@...> wrote:

        > Dear list members,
        >
        > What is your "go-to" computer for daily work?

        One of two: my Core-2 Duo Toshiba laptop, dual booting Slackware
        13.37 and Windows Vista (ick!), for everyday
        email/internet/documents/photo and video uploading, or my old AMD64
        3500+ tower I put together for mostly development work on my flight
        simulator. It's mostly for programming and development. It's dual
        booting Slackware 13.37 and Windows XP. The Windows stuff is solely
        for working on M$ Flight Simulator, and a few games. I have a couple of
        friends I am doing work for who need M$ Flight Simulator 9/X work done,
        which is Windows-only of course.

        I have been using Slackware for many years now, I doubt I will ever
        change to anything else as my primary OS. It's flexible, stable,
        supports standards well (for the most part), and is lightweight and
        unencumbered by all the Windows-ish cruft that belabors other distros
        these days.

        Matt