Re: [linux] OT-Any suggestions for games for a blind woman?

  • C. Beck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
      On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:25:22PM -0700, Joan Leach wrote:

      > I volunteered to put together a computer with a Linux Distro for a
      > lady who lost her sight. I'll supply a few of those Live CDs/DVDs
      > (Vinux, Knoppix-Adriane, and Sonar) that are popular now. However,
      > I'm not sure what games might be added and work with a screen reader.
      >
      > Any suggestions for this endeavor? Should I put WinXP on it, too, in
      > case she needs Jaws, etc.?

      There is a text-based adventure game called "dunnet" that runs from
      emacs. There are a handful of text- adventure and dungeon games that
      can be run from emacs or shell (Such as MUDs or Z machine emulator),
      but not of much value unless the user really likes that kind of game.

      You might also look at Incursion:
      <http://www.indiedb.com/games/incursion> which is a graphical
      text-based adventure game.

      If orca doesn't work with emacs for some reason (command oddities and
      such), there is emacspeak:
      <http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/info/html/Introduction.html#Introduction>
      That software is described as an entire desktop that runs from within
      emacs and looks very interesting. I can't really comment on its
      usefullness to someone who cannot see.
      --Quote--

      1.2 What Is It?

      Emacspeak is a fully functional audio desktop that provides complete
      eyes-free access to all major 32 and 64 bit operating environments. By
      seamlessly blending live access to all aspects of the Internet such as
      Web-surfing, blogging, social computing and electronic messaging into
      the audio desktop, Emacspeak enables speech access to local and remote
      information with a consistent and well-integrated user interface. A
      rich suite of task-oriented tools provides efficient speech-enabled
      access to the evolving service-oriented social Web cloud.

      1.3 Major Enhancements:

      Get directions and find Places via Google Maps.
      Preliminary support for Eclipse integration via Eclim.
      Speech-enabled GTags (Global) for code browsing.
      Updated to work with advice implementation in Emacs 24.3.
      Updated Web search wizards
      Updated URL templates

      ---END QUOTE---

      > Any suggestions for this endeavor? Should I put WinXP on it, too, in case she needs Jaws, etc.?

      My guess is that Jaws would be nice if that is what she is familiar
      with. And I wonder if some of the accessibility games like solitare
      etc. can be installed through WINE?
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to get into the habit of searching the web before asking
        > questions. So, here's my reply --
        >
        > http://www.search.ask.com/web?o=&tpr=1&q=computer+game+for+blind+person

        Hi Michael,

        That's a good search query. Seems there are some games that actually
        are played by blind people.

        Regarding distros, it appears Adriane Knoppix is the clear winner.

        http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html

        http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/knoppix-adriane.html

        There's an Arch version:

        https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_for_the_blind

        And Vinux seems to be the runner-up (only for English speakers, and
        a pending change to Gnome or Unity is going to really mess things up):

        http://vinuxproject.org/

        with these as possible paths:

        http://vinux-development.blogspot.com/2011/03/two-towers-unity-and-gnome-shell.html

        http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-development/browse_thread/thread/c7db96230f476907#

        Braille displays are possible, too (one example):

        http://www.tiresias.org/research/devices/braille_displays.htm

        http://libbraille.org/

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
          On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 05:37:33AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
          > [...]
          > Braille displays are possible, too (one example):
          >
          > http://www.tiresias.org/research/devices/braille_displays.htm
          >
          > http://libbraille.org/

          I remember in the late 90's having a SuSE install that would state
          something along the lines

          "Looking for a Braille display"

          "look" doesn't always mean with eyes, but still thought it may be in
          poor taste, although I'd never take the mick out of a blind person.

          There is a colleague here who has very poor eyesight and needed a stick
          when he started here to avoid hitting walls. Glass doors needed hazard
          tape. When using a computer he has one of the largest displays I've ever
          seen, but it can barely occupy "Subject: Re: Re:".

          Debian has the packages: gnome-mag, kmag. If I remember correctly, when
          configuring X, if you specify a larger screen area than display can
          render it would shuffle the display as you moved the mouse. This isn't
          ideal if you cannot see at 640x480 on a 19" monitor, though.