Don't be pwned by Google (was: Re: Free open source security tools PDF ...)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/linux/message/62697
      > Tue Apr 2, 2013 9:57 pm
      > Re: SLACKEL 3.0, a distro with a 2-week release cycle

      > Tue Apr 2, 2013 9:34 pm
      > Re: SLACKEL 3.0, a distro with a 2-week release cycle
      > [...]

      Those two articles are identical -- note the time screw-up -- except
      for message #62697 having these lines at the beginning:

      " Looks like the idiots at Yahoo have shut down their servers, turned
      " off the lights, and locked the doors in preparation for yet another
      " massive FUBAR SNAFU before their final belly-up.
      "
      " 30 minutes now and this reply hasn't appeared noting it usually
      " takes only 1 second; this is a re-send.

      Yahoo must think that faster-than-light email propagation can be
      achieved by cheating: holding back earlier postings. Idiots.

      Thad
    • xplanematt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
        ---- thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:

        > The Google/Yandex search link fix Firefox addon will clean up the
        > infected Google-given URL; simply paste that cleaned-up URL into the
        > URL address bar of a browser -- I always start a new instance of FF
        > because I don't like tabbed browsing since it complicates returning
        > back to the original URL(s).

        Thanks for (re-)posting this one Thad....I have always resented Google's tracking habits, and I am aware of the URL mangling to run us users (products) through the Google analytics mill before final processing.........it had not occurred to me that the real URL can be easily derived by a script or add-on. I just installed it and was pleased to see it work. Google's ever increasingly egregious habits have compelled me to use Startpage.com, but sometimes there is info I dig up with Google that I just don't get with SP.

        Bonus: for any poor users stuck in Windows-land, I believe this would effectively kill the ever-popular Google link hijack redirect virus behavior....it hijacks the redirect business with Google (and a few others on occasion, such as Bing and Yahoo, most notably).

        Matt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, <dabigboy@...> wrote:
          > ---- thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> The Google/Yandex search link fix Firefox addon will clean up th
          >> the URL address bar of a browser -- I always start a new instance
          >> of FF because I don't like tabbed browsing since it complicates
          >> returning back to the original URL(s).
          >
          > Thanks for (re-)posting this one Thad....I have always resented
          > Google's tracking habits, and I am aware of the URL mangling to run
          > us users (products) through the Google analytics mill before final
          > processing.........it had not occurred to me that the real URL can
          > be easily derived by a script or add-on.

          Hi Matt,

          You're very welcome! That mangling by Google seriously destroyed any
          remaining usefulness of Google.

          I found the name of the Google/Yandex fix on a newspaper web site when
          a reporter was moaning about what Google was doing because he needed
          to include search results' URLs in his articles. A Reader Comment to
          that article provided the name of the Firefox addon.

          Google began mangling the URLs about 2 years or so ago. I manually
          corrected them for about 2 days and then uttered a real nasty as it
          was becoming tiresome replacing every "%3A" with a ":", every "%2F"
          with a "/", etc so I wrote a kwik'n'dirty program to do the fixing.
          But even then it was tedious to use: paste the mangled Google URL onto
          the command line:

          $ fg http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theworlds50best.com%2F...
          http://www.theworlds50best.com/...

          and then copy the fixed result. Guess what the "fg" stands for. :-)

          If I had done some more research regarding the system's copy'n'paste
          buffer I could have used that without as much hassle. The Firefox
          addon is by far the best solution.

          Note I had to rename it to "fug" because "fg" is a shell command that
          I've aliased to "pop" because "pop" is easier/faster for me to type
          and it means the same thing (return to parent process) on a DEC-20
          system from the 1970s-1990s. For the curious -- my .bash_aliases has
          these aliases (with the last 3 "folded" [\] here due to line length):

          alias emacs="emacs -nw "
          alias j="jobs -l"
          alias la="ls -aF"
          alias lal="ls -al"
          alias ll="ls -l"
          alias ls="ls -F"
          alias pop="fg"
          alias mail="Mail"
          alias print="enscript --fancy-header=std --font=Courier9.7 "
          alias printl="enscript --fancy-header=std --landscape \
          --font=Courier6.7 "
          alias printl2="enscript --fancy-header=std --landscape -2 \
          --font=Courier6.7 "

          Hmmm, maybe it's time again to remind everyone about the enscript
          program for printers and its simple capability of generating some
          really fancy printed pages. I have some old examples here from 2011
          showing the aliases [unfolded] and just 2 simple examples of the
          "std" fancy header (there are scores more varieties though the "std"
          became lost perhaps 20 years ago and I was the only person on the
          planet who still has it though I did send it to the GNU maintainer of
          enscript; note the oldest at the GNU ftp site is version 1.4.0 dated
          5-July-1996 and I know I have versions 0.* long before that in my
          archives):

          http://thadlabs.com/FILES/enscript_aliases.txt 213 bytes

          http://thadlabs.com/FILES/enscript_simple.pdf 27kB

          http://thadlabs.com/FILES/enscript_landscape_2.pdf 21kB

          The landscape2 mode can really save paper especially done double-sided
          when printing program listings; some info (manual is in the tar file):

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enscript

          http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Enscript

          http://www.gnu.org/software/enscript/

          http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/enscript/ tar files with source code

          > [...]
          > Bonus: for any poor users stuck in Windows-land, I believe this
          > would effectively kill the ever-popular Google link hijack redirect
          > virus behavior .... it hijacks the redirect business with Google
          > (and a few others on occasion, such as Bing and Yahoo, most
          > notably).
          >
          > Matt

          Interesting. I didn't know that. The Google/Yandex results fix does
          not work on YouTube however. If you cite a URL in the Video's "Show
          More [Info]" area, YouTube (aka Google) will mangle it. For a quick
          example you can look at one of my animations (a Jupiter flyby) here:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-2A1JeU9lg

          Speaking of animations, here's something I found absolutely amazing
          from China for a possible future urban transportation solution; use
          the first URL if you want to download the video using the Firefox
          "DownloadHelper 4.9.17" or read the "Show More[Info]", and the second
          URL for a full-screen playback (0:03:33):

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1gTzc7-IbQ

          http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=t1gTzc7-IbQ

          YouTube trivia: only 11 characters are used to identify every YouTube
          video; those 11 are the "t1gTzc7-IbQ" in the above 2 URLs.