Woodnotes Guide to Emacs for Writers

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
      Everything following this paragraph appeared earlier today
      in Usenet's comp.emacs group; this looks like good info for
      those writing a thesis or a book.

      Thad

      From: RS Wood <rsw@...>
      Newsgroups: comp.emacs
      Subject: Woodnotes Guide to Emacs for Writers

      It's been years since I sent this link out over Usenet, so here's a reminder:

      Happy to bring your attention to my 22 page "Woodnotes Guide to Emacs
      for Writers, not Coders." Emacs is a fantastic weapon for subduing
      long, complicated, written texts and is immediately useful for authors
      with a few simple words of introduction. Heavy users of Emacs already
      probably know this stuff, but authors getting ready to start a book are
      surprised just to see how much better emacs facilitates their work than
      most word processors.

      It's available in HTML and PDF under a Creative Commons license at

      http://therandymon.com/content/view/16/98/

      Contents:
      Contents
      Introduction
      License and Version History
      Introduction: Why a Text Editor instead of a Word Processor?

      Setting Up
      Emacs on Linux/Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows
      X or Console?

      The Basics
      Some Vocabulary
      Emacs Commands
      Files (Opening, Saving, Printing, etc.)
      Navigating
      Scrolling
      Bookmarks
      Selecting Text (``Regions'')
      Cutting and Pasting (Killing and Yanking)
      Searching and Replacing

      Foreign Languages and Foreign Characters
      Occasional Diacriticals
      Writing in a Foreign Alphabet
      Inserting Special Characters

      Formatting Your Text
      Word wrap
      Reformatting Hard Wrapped Documents
      Transposing Letters/Words/Lines
      Cleaning Up Spacing
      Changing Case
      End of Line Characters

      Multiple Windows, Buffers, and Frames
      Spell Checking
      Customizing your Environment
      Macros
      Keyboard Shortcuts
      Fonts and Colors
      Default Window Parameters
      Menus and Toolbars
      Other Environment Settings

      Next Steps
      Learning more about emacs
      Help Menus:
      On the web:
      Books:
      Emacs and LATEX

      Acknowledgments
    • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

        > Everything following this paragraph appeared earlier today
        > in Usenet's comp.emacs group; this looks like good info for
        > those writing a thesis or a book.
        >
        > Thad
        >
        > From: RS Wood <rsw@...>
        > Newsgroups: comp.emacs
        > Subject: Woodnotes Guide to Emacs for Writers
        >
        > It's been years since I sent this link out over Usenet, so here's a reminder:
        >
        > Happy to bring your attention to my 22 page "Woodnotes Guide to Emacs
        > for Writers, not Coders." Emacs is a fantastic weapon for subduing
        > long, complicated, written texts and is immediately useful for authors
        > with a few simple words of introduction. Heavy users of Emacs already
        > probably know this stuff, but authors getting ready to start a book are
        > surprised just to see how much better emacs facilitates their work than
        > most word processors.
        >
        > It's available in HTML and PDF under a Creative Commons license at
        >
        > http://therandymon.com/content/view/16/98/
        >
        > Contents:
        > Contents
        > Introduction
        > License and Version History
        > Introduction: Why a Text Editor instead of a Word Processor?
        >
        > Setting Up
        > Emacs on Linux/Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows
        > X or Console?
        >
        > The Basics
        > Some Vocabulary
        > Emacs Commands
        > Files (Opening, Saving, Printing, etc.)
        > Navigating
        > Scrolling
        > Bookmarks
        > Selecting Text (``Regions'')
        > Cutting and Pasting (Killing and Yanking)
        > Searching and Replacing
        >
        > Foreign Languages and Foreign Characters
        > Occasional Diacriticals
        > Writing in a Foreign Alphabet
        > Inserting Special Characters
        >
        > Formatting Your Text
        > Word wrap
        > Reformatting Hard Wrapped Documents
        > Transposing Letters/Words/Lines
        > Cleaning Up Spacing
        > Changing Case
        > End of Line Characters
        >
        > Multiple Windows, Buffers, and Frames
        > Spell Checking
        > Customizing your Environment
        > Macros
        > Keyboard Shortcuts
        > Fonts and Colors
        > Default Window Parameters
        > Menus and Toolbars
        > Other Environment Settings
        >
        > Next Steps
        > Learning more about emacs
        > Help Menus:
        > On the web:
        > Books:
        > Emacs and LATEX
        >
        > Acknowledgments

        Please use caution with that link, since WOT shows it RED, for a website with a bad reputation. Here's a link to a GREEN link, that's a PDF that can open in Firefox.

        http://wikis.uca.es/wikiformacion/images/8/81/Emacs-for-writers.pdf

        This might come in handy, too:

        The Woodnotes Emacs Cheat Sheet for Writers (not Coders).pdf

        http://www.docjax.com/document/view.shtml?id=847465&title=The%20Woodnotes%20Emacs%20Cheat%20Sheet%20for%20Writers%20%28not%20Coders%29

        Joan in Reno
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
          > [...]
          > Please use caution with that link, since WOT shows it RED, for a
          > website with a bad reputation. Here's a link to a GREEN link, that's
          > a PDF that can open in Firefox.

          Hi Joan,

          And what, pray tell, is "WOT"? "World Of Tomorrow"? "World Of Tanks"?

          Gurgle found this http://www.mywot.com/ for "World Of Trust" which is
          located in Helsinki FI per a whois:

          WOT Services Oy
          Iso Roobertinkatu 21 A
          Helsinki, Uusimaa 00120
          FI

          WHY would you trust them for anything? Note:

          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland%E2%80%93United_States_relations

          and the following from the US State Department re: Finland:

          http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3238.htm

          > http://wikis.uca.es/wikiformacion/images/8/81/Emacs-for-writers.pdf

          That's a Spanish site. Why would you trust them?

          > This might come in handy, too:
          >
          > The Woodnotes Emacs Cheat Sheet for Writers (not Coders).pdf
          >
          > http://www.docjax.com/document/view.shtml?id=847465&title=The%20Woodnotes%20Emacs%20Cheat%20Sheet%20for%20Writers%20%28not%20Coders%29

          That's a site in VIETNAM! Stay F-A-R away from that site. I block
          Vietnam and 100 other countries by their TLDs.

          Here are the links I used to download the 2 items:

          http://therandymon.com/papers/emacs-for-writers.pdf
          http://www.therandymon.com/papers/emacs-writers-cheatsheet.pdf

          which are 100% SAFE regardless what "WOT" is or says.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
            > Here are the links I used to download the 2 items:
            >
            > http://therandymon.com/papers/emacs-for-writers.pdf
            > http://www.therandymon.com/papers/emacs-writers-cheatsheet.pdf
            >
            > which are 100% SAFE regardless what "WOT" is or says.

            Using a browser for downloading is not always the best choice. wget
            is what one should use which also preserves the original date/time on
            objects downloaded. For example:

            wget http://therandymon.com/papers/emacs-for-writers.pdf
            and
            wget http://www.therandymon.com/papers/emacs-writers-cheatsheet.pdf

            BTW, "therandymon.com" whois info shows:

            Randall Wood
            2120 Cotonou Pl.
            Dulles VA 20189
            USA
            Phone: +1.2013275656
            Email Address: rsw22@...

            in case you wish to contact him and tell him that WOT thinks he's
            Satan incarnate. :-)

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
              > > http://wikis.uca.es/wikiformacion/images/8/81/Emacs-for-writers.pdf
              >
              > That's a Spanish site. Why would you trust them?
              >
              > > [...]
              > > http://www.docjax.com/document/view.shtml?id=847465&title=The%20Woodnotes%20Emacs%20Cheat%20Sheet%20for%20Writers%20%28not%20Coders%29
              >
              > That's a site in VIETNAM! Stay F-A-R away from that site. I block
              > Vietnam and 100 other countries by their TLDs.

              For checking a "new" site the first time before actually visiting it,
              a 'whois' often provides a quick sanity check except for sites owned
              by cowardly cravens who hide everything which is absurd since the NSA
              and the equivalents in the UK, Russia, China, Bulgaria, etc. know who
              and where you are.

              A quick whois (i.e., 'whois uca.es' and 'whois docjax.com') of the
              above 2 sites reveals:

              Junta de Andalucia in Jerez De La Frontera, 51, Spain.
              The official title of Uca.es is: Universidad de Cádiz

              and

              Registered through: Webhost4life
              Domain Name: DOCJAX.COM
              Created on: 17-Feb-09
              Expires on: 17-Feb-14
              Last Updated on: 17-Feb-13

              Registrant:
              HA Technology
              352/35 Thoai Ngoc Hau Phu Thanh
              HCM, 70000
              Vietnam

              Administrative Contact:
              Nguyen, Viet Anh vietanh.vianninhtoquoc@...
              HA Technology
              352/35 Thoai Ngoc Hau Phu Thanh
              HCM, 70000
              Vietnam
              +84982888725

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
                > And what, pray tell, is "WOT"? "World Of Tomorrow"? "World Of Tanks"?
                >
                > Gurgle found this http://www.mywot.com/ for "World Of Trust" which is
                > [...]

                Everything I'm seeing about "WOT" makes it just as bad as Yelp

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelp,_Inc.

                http://www.yelp.com/

                which can be gamed very easily to discredit competitors and whomever
                along with a lot of the so-called "trustworthy" malware & spam blocking
                blacklist sites that do more harm than good given nearly zero lack of
                veracity on the part of the "reporters" to such sites. Caveat emptor.

                WOT's dissing the Woodnotes site is just one example to attribute NO
                trust to WOT.

                Be forewarned.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
                  > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                  > > [...]
                  > > And what, pray tell, is "WOT"? "World Of Tomorrow"? "World Of ...
                  > >
                  > > Gurgle found this http://www.mywot.com/ for "Web Of Trust" which is
                  > > [...]

                  My last and final comment about WOT. On this page:

                  http://www.mywot.com/en/aboutus

                  we see:

                  " Today, WOT is the world's leading crowdsourced website reputation
                  " service with millions of users all around the world, and has been
                  " recommended by PC World, the New York Times, the Kim Komando
                  " Show, CNET, and many others.

                  Crowdsourcing = fecebook, twitter, google+, and other ilk with LOLs,
                  sexting and other crapola. I wouldn't trust crowdsourcing even if
                  you paid me.

                  Look who recommends WOT:

                  PC World. Strike 1.

                  New York Times. Strike 2.

                  CNET. Strike 3. Remember CNET wraps as and spam malware around
                  everything at their download.com site now. And their
                  product reviews are about the most incompetent I've ever
                  seen of any review site on Earth

                  Kim Komando Show. Strike 4. You'd be better served watching
                  reruns of the Howdy-Doody TV shows from the 1940s to 1950s
                  featuring Buffalo Bob, Clarabelle the Clown, Princess
                  Spring-Summer-Winter-Fall, Chief Thunderthud, et al

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdy_Doody

                  http://www.komando.com/

                  Everyone on the Internet is out to get you -- this is NOT paranoia,
                  it's fact. :-)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
                    > CNET. Strike 3. Remember CNET wraps as and spam malware around
                    > everything at their download.com site now.

                    Typo fix: "... CNET wraps AD and spam malware around ..."

                    > [...]
                    > Kim Komando Show. Strike 4. You'd be better served watching
                    > reruns of the Howdy-Doody TV shows from the 1940s - 1950s
                    > featuring Buffalo Bob, Clarabelle the Clown, Princess
                    > Spring-Summer-Winter-Fall, Chief Thunderthud, et al
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdy_Doody
                    > [...]

                    Trivia note: the Howdy Doody Show popularized the now ubiquitous term
                    "KOWABUNGA" which was much later assimilated into the Teenage Mutant
                    Turtle franchise. :-)

                    Thad
                  • Charles Richmond
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
                      On Jul 20, 2013, at 8:39 PM, thad_floryan wrote:

                      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
                      > > [...]
                      > > CNET. Strike 3. Remember CNET wraps as and spam malware around
                      > > everything at their download.com site now.
                      >
                      > Typo fix: "... CNET wraps AD and spam malware around ..."
                      >
                      > > [...]
                      > > Kim Komando Show. Strike 4. You'd be better served watching
                      > > reruns of the Howdy-Doody TV shows from the 1940s - 1950s
                      > > featuring Buffalo Bob, Clarabelle the Clown, Princess
                      > > Spring-Summer-Winter-Fall, Chief Thunderthud, et al
                      > >
                      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdy_Doody
                      > > [...]
                      >
                      > Trivia note: the Howdy Doody Show popularized the now ubiquitous term
                      > "KOWABUNGA" which was much later assimilated into the Teenage Mutant
                      > Turtle franchise. :-)

                      I also remember KOWABUNGA being used by Snoopy in the Peanuts comic
                      strip. Also, I believe the Princess on Howdy-Doody was Princess
                      Summerfall Winterspring. And don't forget Mr. Bluster... I think he
                      was the mayor or something.

                      |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
                      |........................................|
                      |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
                        On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:51:27PM -0500, Charles Richmond wrote:
                        > On Jul 20, 2013, at 8:39 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                        >

                        > I also remember KOWABUNGA being used by Snoopy in the Peanuts comic
                        > strip. Also, I believe the Princess on Howdy-Doody was Princess
                        > Summerfall Winterspring. And don't forget Mr. Bluster... I think he
                        > was the mayor or something.

                        I don't think I was more than 5, but one day, there was either a parade,
                        motercade or something going by our apartment in a Westchester suburb. I
                        remember Buffalo Bob and Clarabell squirting his seltzer at the crowd.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 20, 2013
                          On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:51:27PM -0500, Charles Richmond wrote:

                          > I also remember KOWABUNGA being used by Snoopy in the Peanuts comic
                          > strip. Also, I believe the Princess on Howdy-Doody was Princess
                          > Summerfall Winterspring. And don't forget Mr. Bluster... I think he
                          > was the mayor or something.

                          And as this got me remembering, I did a bit of googling. The first
                          Clarabell was Bob Keeshan, who some of our older members may remember as
                          Captain Kangaroo.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                            On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:15:46PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
                            > > [...]
                            > > Please use caution with that link, since WOT shows it RED, for a
                            > > website with a bad reputation. Here's a link to a GREEN link, that's
                            > > a PDF that can open in Firefox.
                            >
                            > Hi Joan,
                            >
                            > And what, pray tell, is "WOT"? "World Of Tomorrow"? "World Of Tanks"?
                            >
                            > Gurgle found this http://www.mywot.com/ for "World Of Trust" which is
                            > located in Helsinki FI per a whois:
                            >
                            > WOT Services Oy
                            > Iso Roobertinkatu 21 A
                            > Helsinki, Uusimaa 00120
                            > FI

                            I always thought WOT meant 'Web Of Trust', similar to PGP signing.

                            > WHY would you trust them for anything? Note:

                            If using Firefox then they have a naughty list/XML that is referenced
                            when you access a URL to ensure that you're not going to something
                            that's been reported as dodgy. So it kind of deprecates all other
                            methods of reporting naughty sites. Providing you're using Firefox that
                            is. * other browsers may have similar methods too.

                            > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland%E2%80%93United_States_relations
                            >
                            > and the following from the US State Department re: Finland:
                            >
                            > http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3238.htm
                            >

                            > > http://wikis.uca.es/wikiformacion/images/8/81/Emacs-for-writers.pdf
                            >
                            > That's a Spanish site. Why would you trust them?
                            >
                            > > This might come in handy, too:
                            > >
                            > > The Woodnotes Emacs Cheat Sheet for Writers (not Coders).pdf
                            > >
                            > > http://www.docjax.com/document/view.shtml?id=847465&title=The%20Woodnotes%20Emacs%20Cheat%20Sheet%20for%20Writers%20%28not%20Coders%29
                            >
                            > That's a site in VIETNAM! Stay F-A-R away from that site. I block
                            > Vietnam and 100 other countries by their TLDs.

                            What's wrong with Vietnam? Why not just block all Afrinic, most of the
                            mail from Congo is 419, probably easier to just silence Afrinic though.

                            > Here are the links I used to download the 2 items:
                            >
                            > http://therandymon.com/papers/emacs-for-writers.pdf
                            > http://www.therandymon.com/papers/emacs-writers-cheatsheet.pdf
                            >
                            > which are 100% SAFE regardless what "WOT" is or says.

                            I don't care how unsafe a web site is. Browse with lynx, you don't need
                            to worry about plugin-container eating CPU/RAM. You don't need to be so
                            concerned about google tracking your movements either (well they still
                            can if a site is hosted on their cloud etc).

                            Consider linux to be no different from Windows, just don't do stupid
                            things (like running foreign executables) and you'll be ok!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Charles Richmond <cybercunx@...> wrote:

                              > On Jul 20, 2013, at 8:39 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                              > > [...]
                              > > Trivia note: the Howdy Doody Show popularized the now ubiquitous
                              > > term "KOWABUNGA" which was much later assimilated into the
                              > > Teenage Mutant Turtle franchise. :-)

                              I was laughing so hard I couldn't type "Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtle".

                              :-)

                              > [...]
                              > I also remember KOWABUNGA being used by Snoopy in the Peanuts
                              > comic strip. Also, I believe the Princess on Howdy-Doody was
                              > Princess Summerfall Winterspring. And don't forget Mr. Bluster...
                              > I think he was the mayor or something.

                              Hi Charles,

                              Thank you for the correction of the Princess' name; it's been so many
                              years since I heard it and I didn't really read the Wikipedia article
                              I cited. D'oh; headslap and facepalm. :-)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:

                                > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:15:46PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                                > > [...]
                                > > > [...]
                                > > > http://www.docjax.com/document/view.shtml?id=847465&title=The%20Woodnotes%20Emacs%20Cheat%20Sheet%20for%20Writers%20%28not%20Coders%29
                                > >
                                > > That's a site in VIETNAM! Stay F-A-R away from that site. I block
                                > > Vietnam and 100 other countries by their TLDs.
                                >
                                > What's wrong with Vietnam?

                                Hi Ed,

                                Vietnam as the origin appears in a huge amount of email that appears
                                automatically in my Thunderbird "Junk" folder. Everything in "Junk"
                                autodeletes after 24 hours so it's no bid deal.

                                Vietnam also was one of four four countries that participated in a
                                massive DDoS attack on my website in 2006 which forced me to offline
                                most of my astronomy material which I'm still reworking to prevent
                                future similar attacks as I wrote previously:

                                Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:38 pm
                                Re: Astronomy with Linux

                                Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:16 pm
                                Re: Bazillions of stupid new domain names to fatten ICANN's ...

                                Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:53 am
                                Re: Beware your networking equipment -- it may be bugged

                                Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm
                                You're being spied upon (was: Re: TLDP - The Linux ...

                                Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 am
                                Re: You're being spied upon -- more info from WikiLeaks, et al

                                Sat Jun 8, 2013 3:54 pm
                                Re: FreeBSD 8.4 released today, Saturday 8-June-2013

                                Vietnam now is a useless country though it did have some value in the
                                1950s through the 1970s. A lot of people don't know this but this
                                is first-hand info from my Dad who was on the US Joint Chiefs of
                                Staff and his comments are paraphrased below:

                                The French army was there since the 1950s. Why? Because Vietnam
                                had the world's largest rubber plantations which was considered a
                                strategic resource for tires and they were protecting Michelin's
                                interests. They failed, and as they left and the US Army moved in
                                to Vietnam the French said: don't go, it's a losing cause and you
                                cannot win.

                                The French were correct. It was a losing cause and the USA lost,
                                too, but it doesn't matter now because tires are made differently.

                                > Why not just block all Afrinic, most of the mail from Congo is 419,
                                > probably easier to just silence Afrinic though.

                                Actually I do have a private blacklist that drops all email from all
                                the following 214 TLDs:

                                .ad .ae .af .ag .ai .al .am .an .ao .ar .as .aw .ax .az .ba .bb .bd
                                .bf .bg .bh .bi .bj .bm .bn .bo .br .bs .bt .bv .bw .by .bz .cc .cd
                                .cf .cg .ci .ck .cl .cm .cn .co .cr .cs .cu .cv .cx .cy .dj .dm .do
                                .dz .ec .ee .eg .eh .er .et .fj .fk .fm .fo .ga .gd .ge .gf .gh .gi
                                .gm .gn .gp .gq .gr .gs .gt .gu .gw .gy .hk .hm .hn .hr .ht .hu .id
                                .in .io .iq .ir .jm .jo .ke .kg .kh .ki .km .kn .kp .kr .kw .ky .kz
                                .la .lb .lc .li .lk .lr .ls .lt .lv .ly .ma .mc .md .mg .mh .mk .ml
                                .mm .mn .mo .mp .mq .mr .ms .mt .mu .mv .mw .mx .my .mz .na .nc .ne
                                .nf .ng .ni .np .nr .nu .om .pa .pe .pf .pg .ph .pk .pm .pn .pr .ps
                                .pw .py .qa .re .ro .ru .rw .sa .sb .sc .sd .sg .sh .si .sj .sl .sm
                                .sn .so .sr .st .su .sv .sy .sz .tc .td .tf .tg .th .tj .tk .tl .tm
                                .tn .to .tp .tr .tt .tv .tw .tz .ua .ug .uy .uz .va .vc .vg .vi .vn
                                .vu .wf .ws .ye .yt .yu .za .zm .zr .zw

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                                  > 1950s through the 1970s. A lot of people don't know this but this
                                  > is first-hand info from my Dad who was on the US Joint Chiefs of
                                  > Staff and his comments are paraphrased below:
                                  >
                                  > The French army was there since the 1950s. Why? Because Vietnam
                                  > had the world's largest rubber plantations which was considered a
                                  > strategic resource for tires and they were protecting Michelin's
                                  > interests. They failed, and as they left and the US Army moved in
                                  > to Vietnam the French said: don't go, it's a losing cause and you
                                  > cannot win.
                                  >
                                  > The French were correct. It was a losing cause and the USA lost,
                                  > too, but it doesn't matter now because tires are made differently.
                                  > [...]

                                  Absolutely NO disrespect meant to all who lost their lives during the
                                  Vietnam conflict and those who are still alive and suffering all due
                                  to being hoodwinked by the US Government which is an ongoing travesty
                                  which took us to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and soon, perhaps, Syria,
                                  North Korea, and more since the USA needs constant conflict and war.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                                    On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 02:24:46AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                                    > Absolutely NO disrespect meant to all who lost their lives during the
                                    > Vietnam conflict and those who are still alive and suffering all due
                                    > to being hoodwinked by the US Government which is an ongoing travesty
                                    > which took us to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and soon, perhaps, Syria,
                                    > North Korea, and more since the USA needs constant conflict and war.

                                    To quote George Orwell:

                                    "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

                                    My thoughts: the only way to unite people is to pose a larger outside
                                    threat. Be it commies, Martians or other unfriendly.

                                    War is a constant source of production, it's an industry. The cold war
                                    was brilliant, nothing really happened but look what it did in terms of
                                    keeping people employed.

                                  • C. Beck
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 22, 2013
                                      On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM, jleach728@...
                                      <jleach728@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > It's available in HTML and PDF under a Creative Commons license at
                                      > >
                                      > > http://therandymon.com/content/view/16/98/
                                      > >

                                      > Please use caution with that link, since WOT shows it RED, for a website with a bad reputation. Here's a link to a GREEN link, that's a PDF that can open in Firefox.
                                      >
                                      > http://wikis.uca.es/wikiformacion/images/8/81/Emacs-for-writers.pdf

                                      It is probably worth noting that the website flagged above is owned by
                                      the author of the manuscript in question. If anyone has a current
                                      email/contact for him (Thad, I'm guessing you do?), he might
                                      appreciate a heads-up on the "bad reputation". Considering the
                                      firefox WOT addon reports as having ~ 1.3 million users
                                      <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/wot-services/>, anyone
                                      relying on their website for income or exposure would probably want to
                                      dispute the issue with the company.

                                      Randy shares his current location as "lives in Dakar, Senegal" on
                                      Google+ , so I am assuming the Cornell email copied elsewhere in this
                                      mail-thread is outdated. The email provided on his website fails, as I
                                      already tried that.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 22, 2013
                                        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "C. Beck" <usabecker@...> wrote:
                                        > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM, jleach728@...
                                        > <jleach728@...> wrote:
                                        > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > It's available in HTML and PDF under a Creative Commons license
                                        > > > at http://therandymon.com/content/view/16/98/
                                        > >
                                        > > Please use caution with that link, since WOT shows it RED, for a
                                        > > website with a bad reputation. Here's a link to a GREEN link,
                                        > > that's a PDF that can open in Firefox.
                                        > > [...]
                                        >
                                        > It is probably worth noting that the website flagged above is owned
                                        > by the author of the manuscript in question. If anyone has a
                                        > current email/contact for him (Thad, I'm guessing you do?), he might
                                        > appreciate a heads-up on the "bad reputation".

                                        I contacted him immediately via the Usenet comp.emacs group upon
                                        seeing Joan's posting about WOT. FYI, his email is:

                                        RS Wood <rsw @ therandymon.com> note spaces flanking "@"

                                        We parried back'n'forth on the evils of crowdsourcing sites and here
                                        are several of my comments posted in comp.emacs:

                                        [...]
                                        "WOT" is like Yelp accepting bogus ratings from LOL'ing fecebook
                                        users whose IQs must be less than 50.
                                        [...]
                                        WOT has no basis as far as I can tell. It's the same thing with
                                        Reader Comments on articles at online newspaper sites (e.g.,
                                        sfgate.com) where folks will thumb-down articles and post snarky
                                        comments solely to appear "cool" when in fact they're low-IQ
                                        idiots (i.e., the "great unwashed") whose opinions are worthless
                                        which is why I give NO credibility to any crowdsourcing.
                                        [...]
                                        Similar things occur with many email blacklisting sites -- their
                                        results are flawed due to GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) from
                                        unreliable people.
                                        [...]

                                        And here's the original exchange:

                                        " Here's something unusual. One of the members of the linux group
                                        " stated regarding "WOT" [ http://www.mywot.com/ ]
                                        "
                                        " Please use caution with that link, since WOT shows it RED, for a
                                        " [...]
                                        "
                                        " Everything I'm seeing about "WOT" makes it just as bad as Yelp
                                        "
                                        " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelp,_Inc.
                                        " http://www.yelp.com/
                                        "
                                        " which can be gamed very easily to discredit competitors and
                                        " whomever along with a lot of the so-called "trustworthy" malware
                                        " & spam blocking blacklist sites that do more harm than good given
                                        " nearly zero lack of veracity on the part of the "reporters" to
                                        " such sites. Caveat emptor.
                                        "
                                        " WOT's dissing the Woodnotes site is just one example to attribute NO
                                        " trust to WOT.

                                        to which Randall replied (slightly edited (certain words)):

                                        " Thad - thanks for reposting the Yahoo group; much obliged. It's
                                        " been years since I used a Yahoo group.
                                        "
                                        " This is the first I've heard of WOT and I'm not impressed. I can
                                        " guarantee you my site is safe: I run my own server, check the
                                        " logs, and have it locked down tight. Those two wget links are
                                        " correct and you're welcome to use them (although if you click on
                                        " the HTML link I provided your visit gets counted, and the
                                        " increasing # of visitors makes me feel happy and more inclined to
                                        " continue updating the thing.
                                        "
                                        " I think your take on this WOT thing is accurate: has high
                                        " potential for exclusion and provides a false sense of security.
                                        " But I'm annoyed anyway they've decided my f*cking website isn't
                                        " trustworthy. On what basis?
                                        "
                                        " I had a similar problem with Mcaffee (or however you spell that
                                        " crappy software). I run three sites on my Apache install, and I
                                        " had to contact them for each one to have them deblocked. Each
                                        " time no explanation was given and no apology rendered.
                                        "
                                        " I miss Internet 1.0 or earlier. This Web 2.0 sh*t sucks.
                                        "
                                        " Anyway, enjoy the Woodnotes guide and cheatsheet. I think
                                        " they're good. And since they're PDF created by LaTeX and (for
                                        " the cheatsheet, OpenOffice.org) on a Linux box, they are free of
                                        " vulnerabilities. Have any trouble and I'll refund the price you
                                        " paid!

                                        > Considering the firefox WOT addon reports as having ~ 1.3 million
                                        > users
                                        > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/wot-services/>,
                                        > anyone relying on their website for income or exposure would
                                        > probably want to dispute the issue with the company.

                                        A correct "Web of Trust" is defined here (re: cryptography):

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust

                                        The Firefox WOT plugin is a fecebook-infected crowdsourcing scam
                                        running out of Finland:

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT_Services

                                        I vote "NO confidence" on ALL crowdsourcing activities since all the
                                        participants are "the great unwashed". Every one I've looked at can
                                        be easily gamed for nefarious or douche-bagging purposes by all the
                                        slack-jawed LOL'ing fecebook crowd types.

                                        > Randy shares his current location as "lives in Dakar, Senegal" on
                                        > Google+ , so I am assuming the Cornell email copied elsewhere in
                                        > this mail-thread is outdated. The email provided on his website
                                        > fails, as I already tried that.

                                        Correct email address shown above and also below:

                                        RS Wood <rsw @ therandymon.com> note spaces flanking "@"