Re: Alpha Server 4100 Hardware Support Disk for NT 3.5

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2013
      When I saw this from Simplycompters2 Yahoo Group, I couldn't help but think of Thad's stories:

      --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Peairs" <bytemi@...> wrote:

      > I obtained a server and I need the hardware setup disks for this server. I have the NT 3.5 CD but I need the floppy install disks. Any help out there?
      #229863 of 229868, if you got to their Website to answer.

      This is what I sent him:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172806
      http://www.compaq.com/info/GECPQA/
      http://www.compaq.com/info/GEA00C/GEA00CPF.PDF
      Perhaps you'd find more luck trying Linux Live CDs or Unix, since there are so few Google leads for this an old server?
      http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
      ==This has server boot floppy for NT4.

      Joan in Reno

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:
        > When I saw this from Simplycompters2 Yahoo Group, I couldn't help
        > but think of Thad's stories:

        Hi Joan,

        OK. :-)

        > --- In simplycomputers2@yahoogroups.com, "Bert Peairs" <bytemi@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I obtained a server and I need the hardware setup disks for this
        > > server. I have the NT 3.5 CD but I need the floppy install disks.
        > > Any help out there?
        >
        > #229863 of 229868, if you got to their Website to answer.
        >
        > This is what I sent him:
        > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172806
        > http://www.compaq.com/info/GECPQA/
        > http://www.compaq.com/info/GEA00C/GEA00CPF.PDF
        > Perhaps you'd find more luck trying Linux Live CDs or Unix, since
        > there are so few Google leads for this an old server?
        > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
        > ==This has server boot floppy for NT4.

        You did good -- I always have a good feeling after helping someone.

        I wonder who, if anyone, still supports Alpha-based systems. The last
        one I used (back in the early 1990s) was running OSF/1 and the chassis
        was about the same size as my HP dc5850 business-classes chasses:

        http://thadlabs.com/PIX/HP_dc5850.jpg 156kB

        of which I have two (bought from Newegg) with one running CentOS 6 and
        the other running OpenIndiana; they both also double-boot (with each
        OS on its own HD) WinXP and Win7 since I needed a WinXP on a faster
        system than my Dell Latitude D600 laptop:

        http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Lat_D600_BIOS_pg_1.jpg 248kB

        and a 32-bit Win7 to test some astronomy software; my only other Win7
        box is a 64-bit that I bought on a special deal from Frys Electronics
        when a friend's HP A6300F desktop went belly-up on 1 June 2011 (common
        problem with motherboard failures in that model) and he asked me for
        help finding a replacement. I found this:

        http://thadlabs.com/FILES/Frys_Lenovo.pdf 151kB

        My friend and I each bought one since it was too good of a deal to
        ignore; I've since upgraded mine to 8GB RAM and added an Intel GiGE
        NIC, ANTEC EA-430D "green" PSU, and an EVGA 9800GT video card and
        found free User manual, Service manual, parts manual and more here:

        http://www.helpowl.com/manuals/Lenovo/H405/66741

        I was surprised that eserviceinfo.com (moves around from Bulgaria,
        Albania, Ukraine, Romania, Russia, Kazahkstan, et al to keep ahead of
        the Interpol tracking) didn't have the manuals since I can get all HP
        service manuals there for free which, for monochrome and color laser
        LaserJet printers, is extremely helpful and useful.