Something odd: is freedesktop.org another Poettering Project?

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2013
      Earlier today I encountered the following two sentences en passant in
      another group as comment and reply:

      >> Yes, Mandrake was a nice distribution, SuSE as well. However, I
      >> was more interested in a distribution less "microsofted". I
      >> cannot count on OpenSuSE and RedHat based nowdays.
      >
      > Yes, the Microsoft'izing is courtesy of freedesktop.org, which is
      > essentially RedHat's propaganda platform, and which propagates its
      > MS-like nonsense across desktop environments and distributions. :-/

      Viewing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedesktop.org we find:

      " freedesktop.org (fd.o) is a project to work on interoperability
      " and shared base technology for free software desktop environments
      " for the X Window System (X11) on Linux and other Unix-like
      " operating systems. It was founded by Havoc Pennington from Red
      " Hat in March 2000.
      "
      " There are many development frameworks for X, and this is unlikely
      " to change. The organisation seeks to ensure that differences in
      " development frameworks are not user-visible.
      "
      " Widely-used open-source X desktop projects—such as GNOME, KDE,
      " and Xfce—are collaborating with the freedesktop.org project. In
      " 2006, the project released Portland 1.0 (xdg-utils), a set of
      " common interfaces for desktop environments.[2]
      "
      " freedesktop.org was formerly known as the X Desktop Group, and
      " the acronym "XDG", remains common in their work.

      and

      " Hosted Projects:
      " [...]
      " Wayland, a lightweight display server which intends to provide
      " perfect GUI experiences (user can never see tearing, lag,
      " redrawing and flicker) for the Linux desktop.
      " Systemd is a comprehensive init framework to start and manage
      " services and sessions meant to replace older init models.
      " PulseAudio is a sound server frontend meant to provide software
      " mixing, network audio, and per application volume control.
      " [...]

      The hairs on the back of my neck are rising seeing the above. What
      does PulseAudio have to do with a graphic display on one's monitor?

      Poettering was the primary instigator of Systemd and PulseAudio. Is
      he now planning to put his grubby hands on Linux graphics?

      A whois on freedesktop.org reveals:

      Domain Name:FREEDESKTOP.ORG
      Created On 01-Nov-1999 15:33:47 UTC
      Updated On 02-Sep-2009 11:20:50 UTC
      Expiration 01-Nov-2014 15:33:47 UTC
      Registrant freedesktop.org LLC
      Registrant 7615 SW 59th Ave
      Registrant Portland, OR 97219-1204
      Registrant Phone: +1.503-245-6878

      Homepage is http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ and other pages are:

      http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/MissionStatement/

      Bears watching.

      Thad
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
        On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:25:25 -0700
        Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

        > Registrant freedesktop.org LLC

        According to the Oregon SoS, the registered agent for that LLC is Keith
        Packard, at the same address as the domain registration (apparently a
        residential address). If Poettering is involved, it isn't obvious through
        the company registration.

        chris
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Chris <chris@...> wrote:
          > On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:25:25 -0700
          > Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Registrant freedesktop.org LLC
          >
          > According to the Oregon SoS, the registered agent for that LLC is
          > Keith Packard, at the same address as the domain registration
          > (apparently a residential address). If Poettering is involved, it
          > isn't obvious through the company registration.

          Hi Chris,

          Checking with a state's "Secretary of State" was an excellent move and
          one that I will now adopt for certain searches in the future.

          Thank you VERY much for that tip!

          The Poettering connection is due to PulseAudio, systemd, and other items
          I was very surprised to see on the freedesktop.org website.

          As we've read here before regarding missives on Fedora and Red Hat
          forums, many suspect Poettering is a secret employee of Microsoft
          which is only a little bit further North than Portland OR where the
          freedesktop.org site is presumably location re: whois and your SoS
          inquiry.

          :-)