FYI Re: FREE Updated Advanced BASH Scripting Guide from TLDP

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2013
      I posted the same info about the TLDP project book to the Usenet group
      comp.os.linux.misc which elicited these responses from Chris F.A.
      Johnson who used to be a member of this [the Yahoo linux] group which
      I copy'n'paste here for your edification and information:

      On 7/11/2013 7:25 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
      > On 2013-07-12, Thad Floryan wrote:

      >>> That document should be avoided. It is full of errors and bad
      >>> practices.
      >>
      >> It would be a service if you could point out to the author
      >> at TLDP where he has gone "wrong" because many people are
      >> going to reference that site (and guide(s)) and repeat the
      >> errors and bad practices.
      >
      > People have done that (Stephane Chazelas, for one, made many
      > suggestions), but the site soon gets corrupted as other people who
      > know less add their suggestions.
      >
      > The author of the site doesn't know enough to tell when a
      > submission is good or bad. It's a lost cause.
      >
      >>> For a better guide, see: <http://mywiki.wooledge.org/>
      >>> [...]
      >>
      >> That page (indirectly) cites the following which is definitely
      >> shorter, for sure, only 89 pages and 681kB:
      >>
      >> http://folk.ntnu.no/geirha/bashguide.pdf
      >>
      >> Thad

      For the curious, Chris' sigline is:

      Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>