A boost (?) for GIMP and more money for Adobe

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2013
      For those unaware, the latest Adobe PhotoShop product can no longer be
      purchased, it can only be rented (by month, by year, etc.) and this has
      angered a LOT of people. Yes, I know PhotoShop runs only on Windows.

      Details can be seen in Pogue's blog at the New York Times:

      http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/photoshops-new-rental-program-and-the-outrage-factor/

      Photoshop’s New Rental Program, and the Outrage Factor
      July 5, 2013, 12:41 pm

      which has a Q&A about the issue and includes a link to the original
      article.

      One of the Q&A items is this:

      Q: There is an alternative to Photoshop you didn;t mention: GIMP. It
      has one big advantage: it is free.
      A: Many readers wondered why I didn't mention the free GIMP program.
      It does indeed do most of what Photoshop does. I've found it to be
      even more dense and complex than Photoshop. But since it's free,
      everyone who's unhappy with Adobe's new rental program for Photoshop
      should definitely give it a try: http://www.gimp.org/

      GIMP is fine for many things, but I still have a Dell PowerEdge system
      with ECC RAM, SCSI disks, and dual CPUs solely for use as my PhotoShop
      machine running under Win2K. [And before you ask, Avast Pro 7/8 still
      supports Win2K and is probably the only A/V program that still does].

      Why?

      Because PhotoShop does certain things F-A-R better than GIMP; a simple
      example can be seen here regarding downscaling images for thumbnails:

      http://thadlabs.com/Gimp_vs_PS/index.html

      PhotoShop's "Save for Web" feature does the right thing.

      The corresponding GIMP "Save for Web" addon/plugin doesn't seem to do
      squat and the results are identical (per the above example) with or
      without the GIMP "Save for Web" addon/plugin.

      There are many other things even my old PhotoShop 7 does far better
      than GIMP -- free isn't always the best choice.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
        On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 05:06:24PM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > For those unaware, the latest Adobe PhotoShop product can no longer be
        > purchased, it can only be rented (by month, by year, etc.) and this has
        > angered a LOT of people. Yes, I know PhotoShop runs only on Windows.

        I believe bean counters find rental simpler, don't ask me why, I'm not a
        bean counter, unless you're talking java beans.

        > GIMP is fine for many things, but I still have a Dell PowerEdge system
        > with ECC RAM, SCSI disks, and dual CPUs solely for use as my PhotoShop
        > machine running under Win2K. [And before you ask, Avast Pro 7/8 still
        > supports Win2K and is probably the only A/V program that still does].

        I wasn't aware you needed such hardware for PhotoShop, I do remember the
        load times being significantly longer than GIMP though.

        > PhotoShop's "Save for Web" feature does the right thing.
        >
        > The corresponding GIMP "Save for Web" addon/plugin doesn't seem to do
        > squat and the results are identical (per the above example) with or
        > without the GIMP "Save for Web" addon/plugin.
        >
        > There are many other things even my old PhotoShop 7 does far better
        > than GIMP -- free isn't always the best choice.

        Think we discussed this point a while back. Did you file a bug report,
        there's some chance it could have been fixed, although I must admit I
        don't ever go near their discussion/bug lists.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
          >> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 05:06:24PM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
          >> [...]
          >> GIMP is fine for many things, but I still have a Dell PowerEdge
          >> system with ECC RAM, SCSI disks, and dual CPUs solely for use as
          >> my PhotoShop machine running under Win2K. [And before you ask,
          >> Avast Pro 7/8 still supports Win2K and is probably the only A/V
          >> program that still does].
          >
          > I wasn't aware you needed such hardware for PhotoShop,

          One doesn't. It was one of two servers I took out of service when I
          was at Sigaba and they were too good to put in the dumpster, so I
          brought them both home. The other one is running SLED (Suse Linux
          Enterprise Desktop):

          http://thadlabs.com/PIX/SLED_SS.png 282kB

          Heh, note I had to use GIMP to do that screenshot with menus open.

          > I do remember the load times being significantly longer than GIMP
          > though.

          Interesting. My experience is just the opposite. It seems every time
          I start Gimp it's looking for all sorts of stuff and takes 30-45 secs
          or longer before I can begin using it. That's a big flaw with GIMP --
          it shouldn't do that and should only load plugins or whatever on a
          demand basis.

          > [...]
          > Think we discussed this point a while back.

          That we did. I'll have to search my archives to find out when we did.
          Here we go with the short thread begun by Allen Tate to which I made
          one reply:

          Mon May 18, 2009 7:29 am
          Gimp Plugins To Be Similar to Photoshop ??

          Mon May 18, 2009 9:08 am
          Re: [linux] Gimp Plugins To Be Similar to Photoshop ??

          Mon May 18, 2009 2:32 pm
          Re: Gimp Plugins To Be Similar to Photoshop ??

          and this one:

          Wed Mar 6, 2013 11:12 pm
          Important issue and Linux tips re: GIMP Magazine Issue #3

          which reminds me that I haven't received any new GIMP magazines
          since that March 6 date re: Issue #3; I thought it was supposed to
          be quarterly (in PDF form).

          I thought there were some others but I must not be using the correct
          search criteria though I did find this which basically restates the
          GIMP scaling problem seen on my web site's example page:

          Tue Jun 4, 2013 3:16 pm
          SDN - Software Defined Networking (was: Re: Free official Samba

          > Did you file a bug report, there's some chance it could have been
          > fixed, although I must admit I don't ever go near their discussion
          > bug lists.

          Someone who emailed me after seeing my website example:

          http://thadlabs.com/Gimp_vs_PS/index.html

          wrote he was going to look into it after confirming the issue. I
          suspect some graphical wizardry will be required to fix it in GIMP
          and I don't recall if the correspondent claimed he works on the
          GIMP source code or not.

          I haven't pursued it further since I haven't been needing to create
          any thumbnails for awhile but I will have the need later this year.

          Thad
        • Matt Bailey
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
            On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 17:06:24 -0700
            Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

            > For those unaware, the latest Adobe PhotoShop product can no longer be
            > purchased, it can only be rented (by month, by year, etc.) and this
            > has angered a LOT of people. Yes, I know PhotoShop runs only on
            > Windows.

            This is shockingly bad, but not shocking. Games have been going this
            way for a while, which sorta makes sense for online-only games (pay to
            play....in fact, some games are free to download and play offline, but
            payment is required to play online). But office/productivity software
            vendors are beginning to take this route as well, which seems very very
            bad for the user. Most of my clients are using some outdated software
            somewhere, whether it be Office 2007, Quickbooks 2011, Peachtree 2012,
            Acrobat 7, or some oddball specialty software for their industry that
            costs a fortune and doesn't offer any significant advantages or useful
            features in later versions (Amicus law software is a prime example of
            this). Most notably, Office 2013 is subscription-based. It's like
            vendors want to remind you that you never really "own" the software,
            you are simply paying the vendor for the privilege of being allowed to
            use it....and for a limited time, it now seems.

            Aside from the financial drawback of continually having to renew, there
            is an entire logistical side to this that I dread. Imagine in a few
            years having to do major updates on clients' business-critical
            applications EVERY YEAR, for instance. What if the client has some
            piece of proprietary software that has not been updated in a while, and
            it requires a specific version of, say, Office (I have had this exact
            thing happen, actually), but the required version of Office has
            "expired" and the client is forced to get the next version in their
            "subscription"? And just imagine the training headache...plenty of
            users have trouble just surviving with the version of whatever they've
            had for the past ten years, just imagine the grief and agony if they are
            forced to make major version changes all the time!

            <snip>
            > GIMP is fine for many things, but I still have a Dell PowerEdge system
            > with ECC RAM, SCSI disks, and dual CPUs solely for use as my PhotoShop
            > machine running under Win2K. [And before you ask, Avast Pro 7/8 still
            > supports Win2K and is probably the only A/V program that still does].
            >
            > Why?
            >
            > Because PhotoShop does certain things F-A-R better than GIMP;

            I have a similar view of GIMP, except my weapon of choice is Paint Shop
            Pro....BEFORE Corel got ahold of it and turned it into a glorified
            photo touch-up tool. I still run version 7.x. I have never cared for
            PhotoShop, I just don't like its interface and general convention very
            well. Anyways, I used to think my problem with GIMP stemmed partially
            from an attempt at being similar to PhotoShop in its basic approach.
            Now, after more GIMP use, I don't see as many similarities. I still
            don't care for GIMP, and things that are incredibly quick and simple to
            do in PSP consist of multiple tedious and convoluted hoops to jump
            through in GIMP. And some of the tools just aren't there, or are not as
            effective. How I wish for a GPL'd, Linux-compatible graphics design app
            that works like Jasc PSP! Oh well...for now I keep a VirtualBox image
            of WinXP around, with PSP loaded up.....

            Matt