Comparing several Linux distros including Android on an x86 tablet

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2013
      I gathered some info here from Usenet with most of it coming from
      TechRadar noting I also subscribe to TechRadar's emails even though I
      cannot participate in their contests for free stuff because I don't
      reside in the UK. TechRadar's article is here:

      http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/install-linux-on-your-x86-tablet-five-distros-to-choose-from-1162825

      It compares several GNU/Linux distributions -- one of the tested distros
      is actually Android x86, which, though based on a Linux kernel, does not
      contain any GNU software and is not a real GNU/Linux distro -- on an x86
      tablet.

      The tested distros are:

      Ubuntu (with Unity)
      Kubuntu (with KDE Plasma Active)
      openSUSE (with KDE4)
      Fedora 18 (with GNOME3)
      Android x86

      Looks like OpenSuse is arguably the best of the five distros.

      The tested hardware is an Acer Iconia W500, with a dual core 1GHz
      AMD-C50 CPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM, a 1280 x 800 10.1-inch WXGA capacitive
      screen, an AMD Radeon GMA 6250 and a 32GB SSD. It all comes with
      Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, dual cameras (front and rear), USB ports and MicroSD
      - so in essence it's not a bad little bit of kit.

      In addition, there's also the accelerometer function which, among
      other things, allows the tablet to flip the screen when it is turned
      on its side.

      We wanted an all-out distro to satisfy the needs of every function the
      tablet has to offer, preferably straight out of the box, so we picked
      five recent releases - Ubuntu, Android x86, Fedora, Kubuntu Active and
      OpenSUSE - and put them through their paces, as either a live USB, or
      installed, to see just how far we could go with this interesting
      little endeavour.
    • J
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2013
        On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:
        > I gathered some info here from Usenet with most of it coming from
        > TechRadar noting I also subscribe to TechRadar's emails even though I
        > cannot participate in their contests for free stuff because I don't
        > reside in the UK. TechRadar's article is here:
        >
        > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/install-linux-on-your-x86-tablet-five-distros-to-choose-from-1162825
        >
        > It compares several GNU/Linux distributions -- one of the tested distros
        > is actually Android x86, which, though based on a Linux kernel, does not
        > contain any GNU software and is not a real GNU/Linux distro -- on an x86
        > tablet.
        >
        > The tested distros are:
        >
        > Ubuntu (with Unity)
        > Kubuntu (with KDE Plasma Active)
        > openSUSE (with KDE4)
        > Fedora 18 (with GNOME3)
        > Android x86
        >
        > Looks like OpenSuse is arguably the best of the five distros.

        Interesting read, though a bit whimsical given that they were
        expecting tablet performance from a desktop OS (something not
        necessarily built with that use in mind) And reading the end, they
        listed Ubuntu 12.10 as the top, with Open SuSE in the number 2 slot,
        barely. In their own words:

        "So, where does that leave us with our selection of x86 tablet
        distros? Well, Ubuntu came out on top, but only just - OpenSUSE was
        snapping at its heels. Kubuntu Plasma Active and Fedora 18 Gnome were
        in third and fourth place, and the Android x86 project brought up the
        rear in fifth."

        I really want to throw Ubuntu on my Nexus 7, but I've gotten so used
        to using it, and android, that I hate to think about deleting all that
        configuration and installing something more :/

        But thanks for sharing that, it was an interesting read.