Re: [linux] Re: Hollywood hacking from dinosaurs to Linux

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2013
      On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 02:16:09AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:39:54AM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > > > [...]
      > > > The "Revolution OS", however, does not exist per DistroWatch.
      > >
      > > I'm fairly sure I bought that DVD. Fairly sure. Will have to dig it
      > > out. Unless I'm imagining, it was a bit like BBS Documentary.
      > > Could be imagining of course ... Will have to go rummaging through
      > > boxes in the deeply buried boxes in the shed to confirm.
      > >
      > > For anyone wanting to appreciate what you can do for FREE take a
      > > look at Elephants Dream or Big Buck Bunny. Both very impressive
      > > pieces of work. Looking at the wiki page looks like there are two
      > > more out, Sintel and Tears of Steel.
      >
      > Hi Ed,
      >
      > I really didn't know "Revolution OS" was an actual moview -- the way
      > that last slide in the slideshow appeared gave me the impression the
      > Linux writeup was something the slideshow creator added to annoy the
      > Microsoft minions and the Apple fanbois. :-)
      >
      > Turns out it's 2001: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/
      >
      > and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_OS
      >
      > And searching the 'Net finds it as a free downloads everywhere and it
      > was the Pirate Bay's first torren); I downloaded it from YouTube:
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxjElWL8igo
      >
      > which took less than a minute for this MP4:
      >
      > 251093167 Jul 5 18:38 Revolution_OS_Linux_Documentary_2001_FULL_Movie.mp4
      >
      > and I need to copy it to a faster system for conversion to a DVD ISO
      > and the burning to a blank DVD so I can watch it later, perhaps as
      > an intermission between two other movies since its runtime is only
      > 1:25:09

      More fool me, I should have STFW for a download before buying. It would
      have been around 10GBP when I bought it. Maybe I saw it along the same
      lines as when I bought t-shirts from OpenBSD and other opensource
      projects, it gives a little back. I doubt very much that I would be
      working for my employer right now if it were not for open source
      projects.