Re: [linux] Hollywood hacking from dinosaurs to Linux

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5 7:16 PM
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:39:54AM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > The "Revolution OS", however, does not exist per DistroWatch.
        >
        > I'm fairly sure I bought that DVD. Fairly sure. Will have to dig it
        > out. Unless I'm imagining, it was a bit like BBS Documentary.
        > Could be imagining of course ... Will have to go rummaging through
        > boxes in the deeply buried boxes in the shed to confirm.
        >
        > For anyone wanting to appreciate what you can do for FREE take a
        > look at Elephants Dream or Big Buck Bunny. Both very impressive
        > pieces of work. Looking at the wiki page looks like there are two
        > more out, Sintel and Tears of Steel.

        Hi Ed,

        I really didn't know "Revolution OS" was an actual moview -- the way
        that last slide in the slideshow appeared gave me the impression the
        Linux writeup was something the slideshow creator added to annoy the
        Microsoft minions and the Apple fanbois. :-)

        Turns out it's 2001: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/

        and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_OS

        And searching the 'Net finds it as a free downloads everywhere and it
        was the Pirate Bay's first torren); I downloaded it from YouTube:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxjElWL8igo

        which took less than a minute for this MP4:

        251093167 Jul 5 18:38 Revolution_OS_Linux_Documentary_2001_FULL_Movie.mp4

        and I need to copy it to a faster system for conversion to a DVD ISO
        and the burning to a blank DVD so I can watch it later, perhaps as
        an intermission between two other movies since its runtime is only
        1:25:09

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 9:28 PM
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Stewart <grs.ygroups@...> wrote:
          > On 05/07/13 08:39, Thad Floryan wrote:
          >
          > > " The open source, license-free operating system reminds us that "
          > > all operating systems are hacked together by experimenters,
          >
          > Trust journalists to get it wrong.

          Hi Godwin,

          That's why I enjoy visiting the SFgate.com website daily -- it's a
          constant comedy of errors and the suspicion is proofreading and the
          like, such as it is, is outsourced to folks in 3rd-world countries.

          :-)

          > Linux isn't an operating system, it's only a kernel, much like Hurd
          > for example.

          Learn something new every day:

          http://www.gnu.org/s/hurd/hurd.html

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd

          I thought it was l-o-n-g dead. And this page is a jaw-dropper even
          though the page was last modified Wed, Oct 5 17:41:54 UTC 2011:

          http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/

          > Furthermore, it and GNU are not license-free. They are released
          > under various versions of the GPL (and portions under LGPL and
          > other licenses).

          Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if there was no need for lawyers and
          licenses? We can dream. :-)

          Thad
        • Charles Richmond
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5 10:43 PM
            On Jul 5, 2013, at 2:39 AM, Thad Floryan wrote:

            > This slide in a movie slide show was a surprise:
            >
            > http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/07/03/most-memorable-hacking-
            > movies/#13754-16
            >
            > Caption:
            >
            > " Revolution OS
            > "
            > " So far this list has been all dinosaurs, post-apocalyptic
            > " futures, national security threats and dream hackers. What’s
            > " missing? Documentaries about Linux.
            > "
            > " The open source, license-free operating system reminds us that
            > " all operating systems are hacked together by experimenters, and
            > " we shouldn’t be locked into one designer’s expensive interface.
            > " In the world of proprietary code sold as products by giants like
            > " Apple and Microsoft, it doesn’t get much more punk rock than open
            > " source.
            >
            > The reader comments following the slideshow are interesting.
            >
            > The "Revolution OS", however, does not exist per DistroWatch.
            >
            > Thad

            A "computer movie" *not* mentioned in this slide show was "Ghost in
            the Machine" from 1993 with Karen Allen.

            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107009/combined

            It's a *really* bad movie, but I liked the titling of the
            introduction. It used the type of magnetic characters you see on the
            bottom of personal checks. I'd just like to be able to watch the
            intro and skip the movie. :-)

            |.....Charles and Francis Richmond.......|
            |........................................|
            |..plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com...|
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6 3:56 AM
              On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 02:16:09AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
              > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:39:54AM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
              > > > [...]
              > > > The "Revolution OS", however, does not exist per DistroWatch.
              > >
              > > I'm fairly sure I bought that DVD. Fairly sure. Will have to dig it
              > > out. Unless I'm imagining, it was a bit like BBS Documentary.
              > > Could be imagining of course ... Will have to go rummaging through
              > > boxes in the deeply buried boxes in the shed to confirm.
              > >
              > > For anyone wanting to appreciate what you can do for FREE take a
              > > look at Elephants Dream or Big Buck Bunny. Both very impressive
              > > pieces of work. Looking at the wiki page looks like there are two
              > > more out, Sintel and Tears of Steel.
              >
              > Hi Ed,
              >
              > I really didn't know "Revolution OS" was an actual moview -- the way
              > that last slide in the slideshow appeared gave me the impression the
              > Linux writeup was something the slideshow creator added to annoy the
              > Microsoft minions and the Apple fanbois. :-)
              >
              > Turns out it's 2001: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/
              >
              > and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_OS
              >
              > And searching the 'Net finds it as a free downloads everywhere and it
              > was the Pirate Bay's first torren); I downloaded it from YouTube:
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxjElWL8igo
              >
              > which took less than a minute for this MP4:
              >
              > 251093167 Jul 5 18:38 Revolution_OS_Linux_Documentary_2001_FULL_Movie.mp4
              >
              > and I need to copy it to a faster system for conversion to a DVD ISO
              > and the burning to a blank DVD so I can watch it later, perhaps as
              > an intermission between two other movies since its runtime is only
              > 1:25:09

              More fool me, I should have STFW for a download before buying. It would
              have been around 10GBP when I bought it. Maybe I saw it along the same
              lines as when I bought t-shirts from OpenBSD and other opensource
              projects, it gives a little back. I doubt very much that I would be
              working for my employer right now if it were not for open source
              projects.