Re: Truck Number -- another Linux IT team management performance criterion

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2013
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "C. Beck" <usabecker@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM, C. Beck <usabecker@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ha! And what does it say when the Boss is MIA for several weeks on
      > > an injury and nobody really notices the difference?
      > >

      > Bah. I need a Guru to come and remind me to scroll down and bottom
      > post. I am, however, blaming this one on the new Gee-mail interface.
      > It hides everything that is in duplicate, and puts a blank text-entry
      > box under and in-line with what you are replying to. On most monitors
      > with LCD, the thin gray lines separating the messages are all but
      > invisible. Get distracted for one second and you forget you are at
      > the top of a new field rather than the bottom.

      And visitors here wonder why I use software that seems, to them, to be
      from the stone Age.

      There's an old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

      So I have "frozen" Thunderbird on all my systems to version 2.0.0.24
      because I didn't like "tabbed" email that surfaced in version 3, and
      my Firefox browsers are all version 16.0.2 which was the last version
      before the backdoor was added in version 17 and, I presume, exists in
      every version since then.

      And yet as I posted on Usenet earlier today, I do have some modern
      software for modern tasks, such as converting MP4s to DVD ISOs which
      takes awhile even using my 2nd-fastest system with an Intel Core 2 Duo
      CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz operating 64-bits and with 8GB RAM per:

      1:03:29 to convert a 2.64GB MP4 file to a 4.38GB DVD ISO file for
      burning on a blank DVD.

      Trimmed 'ls -l' due to long lines:

      ... 1736699904 Jun 28 09:22 GAD_157213181.iso
      ... 573545443 Jun 23 18:04 GAD_157213181.mp4
      ... 4380798976 Jun 27 22:55 Vimeo_HD_1280x720_120978004.iso
      ... 2702400251 Jun 27 20:42 Vimeo_HD_1280x720_120978004.mp4

      Video consumes a lot of space. :-)