Re: [linux] Truck Number -- another Linux IT team management performance criterion

  • C. Beck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2013
      Ha! And what does it say when the Boss is MIA for several weeks on an
      injury and nobody really notices the difference?

      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Arrgh, I gotta stop eating a sandwich for lunch while at the keyboard;
      > I almost dropped today's lunch on the keyboard while laughing so hard
      > reading some of the "Comments" at The Daily WTF today:
      >
      > http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Were-Going-to-Need-Another-Guru!.aspx
      >
      > where I found the following:
      >
      > Having a guru -- that is, a person in a team that other team
      > members chronically rely on for expertise -- is a sign of
      > management failure. (Note that this is not the Dilbert version
      > of a guru, which is a person whose utterances are treated by
      > management as if they had descended from heaven on stone tablets,
      > accompanied by angels with trumpets.)
      >
      > We call it the Truck Number: "How many people in our department
      > can be hit by trucks on the way to work this morning before we
      > become unable to function?" Good managers always strive to push
      > the Truck Number up. (Other people have other names for this
      > concept, which I am sure will be made known in upcoming
      > comments.)
      >
      > :-)
      >
      > Thad

    • C. Beck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2013
        On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM, C. Beck <usabecker@...> wrote:

        > Ha! And what does it say when the Boss is MIA for several weeks on an injury and nobody really notices the difference?

        Bah. I need a Guru to come and remind me to scroll down and bottom
        post. I am, however, blaming this one on the new Gee-mail interface.
        It hides everything that is in duplicate, and puts a blank text-entry
        box under and in-line with what you are replying to. On most monitors
        with LCD, the thin gray lines separating the messages are all but
        invisible. Get distracted for one second and you forget you are at
        the top of a new field rather than the bottom.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "C. Beck" <usabecker@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM, C. Beck <usabecker@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ha! And what does it say when the Boss is MIA for several weeks on
          > > an injury and nobody really notices the difference?
          > >

          > Bah. I need a Guru to come and remind me to scroll down and bottom
          > post. I am, however, blaming this one on the new Gee-mail interface.
          > It hides everything that is in duplicate, and puts a blank text-entry
          > box under and in-line with what you are replying to. On most monitors
          > with LCD, the thin gray lines separating the messages are all but
          > invisible. Get distracted for one second and you forget you are at
          > the top of a new field rather than the bottom.

          And visitors here wonder why I use software that seems, to them, to be
          from the stone Age.

          There's an old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

          So I have "frozen" Thunderbird on all my systems to version 2.0.0.24
          because I didn't like "tabbed" email that surfaced in version 3, and
          my Firefox browsers are all version 16.0.2 which was the last version
          before the backdoor was added in version 17 and, I presume, exists in
          every version since then.

          And yet as I posted on Usenet earlier today, I do have some modern
          software for modern tasks, such as converting MP4s to DVD ISOs which
          takes awhile even using my 2nd-fastest system with an Intel Core 2 Duo
          CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz operating 64-bits and with 8GB RAM per:

          1:03:29 to convert a 2.64GB MP4 file to a 4.38GB DVD ISO file for
          burning on a blank DVD.

          Trimmed 'ls -l' due to long lines:

          ... 1736699904 Jun 28 09:22 GAD_157213181.iso
          ... 573545443 Jun 23 18:04 GAD_157213181.mp4
          ... 4380798976 Jun 27 22:55 Vimeo_HD_1280x720_120978004.iso
          ... 2702400251 Jun 27 20:42 Vimeo_HD_1280x720_120978004.mp4

          Video consumes a lot of space. :-)