Re: [linux] Re: OT Please help with getting Yahoo and Gmail alternatives

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2013
      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:12:44PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > gmail has an IMAP service that works with mutt if that's any help.
      > >
      > > If that doesn't cut it, there's GMX.com, they were one of the best
      > > around a decade ago, still great IMO.
      >
      > Hi Ed,
      >
      > Neither of those two (gmail and gmx) specify which IMAP server they
      > use.
      >
      > FWIW, there are only three standards-compliant IMAP servers in existence
      > and the scorecard for all IMAP servers is here:
      >
      > http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus
      >
      > gmail's IMAP is a very buggy implementation as seen at the above URL.

      Perhaps I should have said IMAP-ish. gmx has been could enough for me
      and any of the IMAP clients that I've used. I don't use IMAP these days
      though.

      > My email server uses Dovecot which is one of the 3 compliant servers,
      > and a long-time friend, Mark Crispin, is the author of all IMAP RFCs
      > and his compliant IMAP server is Panda.
      >
      > There reaches a point when "free" is not a good option. Though I
      > have a different account (since 1995) which is grandfathered and no
      > longer available due to unlimited disk space, extra online disks for
      > backup, etc etc, my hosting company, NTT-Japan/Verio also offers full
      > service email and FreeBSD webhosting services, shell access, etc for
      > only US$9.95/mo which includes Apache, ssh, Ruby, Python, gcc, Perl,
      > Wordpress, and lots more per:
      >
      > http://www.verio.com/web-hosting/plans/
      >
      > Reliability is superb and can be stated as "five nines":
      >
      > thadlabs bash 22140/22143> date
      > Wed Jun 26 15:53:20 PDT 2013
      > thadlabs bash 22140/22143> uptime
      > 3:53PM up 616 days, 13:10, 4 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
      > thadlabs bash 22140/22143> uname -sn
      > FreeBSD thadlabs.com

      On the subject of uptimes, I noticed my android phone had been a couple
      of months without a reboot. It's not amazing hardware, only something
      like 128MB RAM and far too many life changing apps on it to mention.
      That's not bad for a handset.

      > The reason it's been up "only" 616 days is due to an OS upgrade on
      > 19 October 2011. I pay US$24.95/month and have since 1995.
      >
      > One of my best friend's $9.95/month accounts (he has two) is this one
      > which he lets me use to fix his problems (mostly with email since he
      > uses MacOS X and Apple Mail which are both buggy):
      >
      > bash-2.03$ date
      > Wed Jun 26 22:59:56 GMT 2013
      > bash-2.03$ uptime
      > 11:00PM up 243 days, 3:35, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
      > bash-2.03$ uname -sn
      > FreeBSD ########.com
      >
      > which is located in one of NTT-Japan's US East Coast facilities which
      > had an OS update on a different date than mine. My server is 12 miles
      > away from me in the Fremont CA (Silicon Valley) data center which is
      > directly on the main AT&T backbone.

      I have an unmanaged VPS from BitFolk, used to be called Strugglers. The
      chap who runs it allows you to have a very stable VPS for ~8GBP/month,
      you get you choice of OS and can adjust the normal RAM/disk to your
      liking (money permitting of course). The last reboot was result of
      upgrading lenny to wheezy. Located in Telehouse Docklands, native ipv6.

      If interested, details are here, say Ed/s5h sent you :)

      <http://www.usenix.org.uk/content/bitfolk.html>

      Andy who runs BitFolk has a zero-tolerance towards spam and hence an
      extremely clean net block, which is important if mail is important to
      you :)

      > Both his and my servers use qmail, Dovecot, spamassassin, ClamAV, and
      > other tools in the email chain. Note that's "Q"mail, not gmail. :-)

      Oh, on the subject of qmail I noticed people had found a way to back
      scatter spam by entering additional Delivered-To headers matching the
      final mail box. qmail-local notices this and then returns to envelope
      from.

      Details of that are available here:

      <http://www.usenix.org.uk/content/qmail.html>

      Similarly to you I have qmail, but I've since been maintaining my own
      RBL so I don't use SA/clamv, I have no need. All my mail is read via
      mutt, which remains running inside a screen session which I attach
      within xterm or ConnectBot on the Android.

      On the subject of Androids again, here's a funny that I saw on a
      colleagues t-shirt yesterday:

      <http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/i-fixed-it1.jpg>