SlideShow Re: smartos talk

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013

      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Here's a fine talk by Bryan Cantrill:
      > >
      > > <http://smartos.org/2011/12/15/fork-yeah-the-rise-and-development-of-illumos-2/>
      > >
      > > The parts around separation with Oracle are amusing to say the least.
      > > Worth a listen if you want to nerd for a bit.
      >
      > Hi Ed,
      >
      > That video is also available here:
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRN7XLCRhc
      >
      > runtime: 1:04:04
      > [...]

      I cobbled-up a PDF consisting of all 26 slides in the Illumos slide
      presentation; if you don't have an hour to watch the video the slides
      will provide an overview.

      The slideshow PDF (3MB, 26 pages) can be viewed/downloaded from here:

      The video is described:

      Fork Yeah! The Rise and Development of illumos

      Bryan M. Cantrill, Joyent

      In August 2010, illumos, a new OpenSolaris derivative, was
      born. While not at the time intended to be a fork, Oracle
      sealed the fate of illumos when it elected to close
      OpenSolaris: by choosing to cease its contributions,
      Oracle promoted illumos from a downstream repository
      to the open source repository of record for such
      revolutionary technologies as ZFS, DTrace, and Zones.
      This move accelerated the diaspora of kernel engineers
      from the former Sun Microsystems, many of whom have
      landed in the illumos community, where they continue to
      innovate. We will discuss the history of illumos but
      will focus on its promising future.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2013
        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 01:21:12AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Here's a fine talk by Bryan Cantrill:
        > > >
        > > > <http://smartos.org/2011/12/15/fork-yeah-the-rise-and-development-of-illumos-2/>
        > > >
        > > > The parts around separation with Oracle are amusing to say the least.
        > > > Worth a listen if you want to nerd for a bit.
        > [...]
        > I cobbled-up a PDF consisting of all 26 slides in the Illumos slide
        > presentation; if you don't have an hour to watch the video the slides
        > will provide an overview.
        >
        > The slideshow PDF (3MB, 26 pages) can be viewed/downloaded from here:

        Really the talk is the part which I found amusing. The colourful
        language wasn't on the slides and there's some great humour around the
        following topics:

        - what you thought you knew about Oracle
        - the lawn mower
        - the quitting
        - internal memo

        Some of the above is mentioned in the slides, but without the commentary
        it doesn't carry the same emotional weight that the speaker adds.

        I'd say that listening to it is enough, but /watching/ provides added
        arm gestures that show the speaker's enthusiasm/anger.