Re: UPS battery replacement tip to save money

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2013
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

      > The battery in one of my smaller UPSs, a TrippLite 1000LCD:
      >
      > http://thadlabs.com/PIX/ThadLABS_network_demarc.jpg 297kB
      > http://thadlabs.com/PIX/ThadLABS_network_demarc_OLD.jpg 172kB
      >
      > recently went belly-up so I finally at 3am this morning ordered two
      > replacements at a much-better price than Newegg and others and they
      > are "extra capacity" vs the stock TrippLite batteries and I bought
      > them from Battery Supersite via Amazon. Earlier this afternoon (noting
      > today is Saturday) I received an email from Amazon they've already
      > been shipped via USPS (yes, the US Postal Service) and they are
      > expected to arrive here on Monday or Tuesday.
      > [...]

      I am in awe. The USPS has been sending me an email with tracking info
      every time the shipment is scanned. Here's an extract of what they sent
      a few minutes ago:

      Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
      Depart USPS Sort Facility SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188 June 25,2013
      USPS Sort Facility SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188 June 25,2013 10:53 pm
      Depart USPS Sort Facility SAINT PAUL, MN 55121 June 25,2013
      USPS Origin Sort Facility SAINT PAUL, MN 55121 June 24,2013 8:38 pm
      USPS Origin Sort Facility WACONIA, MN 55387 June 24,2013 7:23 pm
      Shipping Info Received June 22,2013

      It takes the USPS truck about 40 minutes to drive from 'Frisco to
      Los Altos via Interstate 280 which means it'll be at the Los Altos
      post office closest to me (there are two in town) around 1am this
      morning and out for delivery around 7am which means I get it today.

      I noted also no sales tax was charged so they must be assuming UPS
      batteries are some kind of food product (the only non-taxable item in
      California) or else Amazon is still middle-fingering California's
      Board of Equalization that collects sales taxes -- which is reasonable
      since California would just waste the money anyway or add it to the
      $150,000/year retirement pension for a bus driver here (after just
      20 years of work -- not kidding, California is 1200% corrupt beyond
      belief and I wish I could leave the state but I don't have any good
      destination within the USA.