qr decoder

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
      anybody know if there's a qr decoder that works in Linux?

      --doug
      --
      Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
      --A.M.Greeley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Doug <dmcgarrett@...> wrote:

        > anybody know if there's a qr decoder that works in Linux?

        It's very tempting to put you back on moderated status since you NEVER
        do a simple search on the Internet which proves you FAILED TO READ this
        document whose URL was automatically emailed to you when you joined the
        group on 16 September 2012:

        You should especially read the BEFORE YOU ASK section which immediately
        follows the INTRODUCTION at the above URL.

        If you type your question exactly as it appears above into, for example,
        Google's search query input window, you'll have your answer.

        QR codes are potentially very dangerous because you have no idea where
        it will send you which is a similar problem with 'tinyurl' and similar
        URL shorteners for twitter and similar ilk. A person would be VERY
        foolish clicking on a shortened URL without first decoding it using:

        http://www.knowurl.com/
        or
        http://longurl.org/expand
        or
        http://www.getlinkinfo.com/

        which are the three I use in that order.

        Thad
      • Doug
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
          On 06/26/2013 12:07 AM, thad_floryan wrote:

          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linux%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug
          > <dmcgarrett@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> anybody know if there's a qr decoder that works in Linux?
          >
          > It's very tempting to put you back on moderated status since you NEVER
          > do a simple search on the Internet which proves you FAILED TO READ this
          > document whose URL was automatically emailed to you when you joined the
          > group on 16 September 2012:
          Completely untrue. See below.

          > You should especially read the BEFORE YOU ASK section which immediately
          > follows the INTRODUCTION at the above URL.
          >
          > If you type your question exactly as it appears above into, for example,
          > Google's search query input window, you'll have your answer.
          >
          > QR codes are potentially very dangerous because you have no idea where
          > it will send you which is a similar problem with 'tinyurl' and similar
          > URL shorteners for twitter and similar ilk. A person would be VERY
          > foolish clicking on a shortened URL without first decoding it using:
          >
          > http://www.knowurl.com/
          > or
          > http://longurl.org/expand
          > or
          > http://www.getlinkinfo.com/
          >
          > which are the three I use in that order.
          >
          > Thad

          I _did_ look in Google. It points to something in Ubuntu, which I don't
          (and won't) use. There is no QR decoder in PCLOS repos. There is an
          ENcoder only. I also found ZBAR, which I failed to make work in WINE,
          and a plug-in for Firefox, if there is ever a QR tag in a site the
          browser finds. What I'd like is something that works with a webcam, or
          with a scanned image, since I normally see QR tags in magazines.
          Since these codes are designed to work with iPhones (I think) it is
          not very likely that they harbor PC viruses.

          --doug
          --
        • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Doug <dmcgarrett@...> wrote:

            > On 06/26/2013 12:07 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linux%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug
            > > <dmcgarrett@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> anybody know if there's a qr decoder that works in Linux?
            > >
            > > It's very tempting to put you back on moderated status since you NEVER do a simple search on the Internet which proves you FAILED TO READ this document whose URL was automatically emailed to you when you joined the group on 16 September 2012:
            > Completely untrue. See below.

            > > You should especially read the BEFORE YOU ASK section which immediately follows the INTRODUCTION at the above URL.
            > >
            > > If you type your question exactly as it appears above into, for example, Google's search query input window, you'll have your answer.
            > >
            > > QR codes are potentially very dangerous because you have no idea where it will send you which is a similar problem with 'tinyurl' and similar URL shorteners for twitter and similar ilk. A person would be VERY foolish clicking on a shortened URL without first decoding it using:
            > >
            > > http://www.knowurl.com/
            > > or
            > > http://longurl.org/expand
            > > or
            > > http://www.getlinkinfo.com/
            > >
            > > which are the three I use in that order.
            > >
            > > Thad
            > >
            > I _did_ look in Google. It points to something in Ubuntu, which I don't (and won't) use. There is no QR decoder in PCLOS repos. There is an ENcoder only. I also found ZBAR, which I failed to make work in WINE, and a plug-in for Firefox, if there is ever a QR tag in a site the browser finds. What I'd like is something that works with a webcam, or with a scanned image, since I normally see QR tags in magazines.
            > Since these codes are designed to work with iPhones (I think) it is
            > not very likely that they harbor PC viruses.
            >
            > --doug
            > --
            > Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
            > --A.M.Greeley

            I've used PcLinuxOS LXDE and I thought there was a way to install files from Debian in it or from other RPM distros. I thought their Magazine/Newsletter might have already had an article about this topic, too.

            Joan in Reno
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2013
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Doug <dmcgarrett@...> wrote:
              > [...]
              > I _did_ look in Google. It points to something in Ubuntu, which I
              > don't (and won't) use.

              Did you do as I wrote: enter your original question (next line)

              anybody know if there's a qr decoder that works in Linux?

              copy'n'pasted directly into Google's search query window?

              You must NOT have done that because I see lots of good results using
              Python, Java and other methods. Just as an example (noting this group
              is NOT here to do people's homework assignments) on the first page of
              Google's results:

              http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/471643-qr-coder-decoder-software.html

              http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7202930/zxing-qrcode-decoding-issue

              http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/QRreader-66184.shtml

              http://lifehacker.com/5756268/zbar-brings-barcode-and-qr-code-scanning-to-your-desktop

              http://linux.die.net/man/1/zbarimg

              https://github.com/dcshi/lua-resty-QRDecode

              http://www.2ndfolio.net/qr/

              http://www.freelancer.com/job-search/qrcode-decoder-linux/

              http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/600

              http://www.sharewareconnection.com/software.php?list=Qr+Decoder+Linux

              and 500,000 more skipping the few Ubuntu-related URLs.

              No disrespect intended, but I have to ask: ARE YOU BLIND?

              > There is no QR decoder in PCLOS repos. There is an
              > ENcoder only. I also found ZBAR, which I failed to make work in
              > WINE, and a plug-in for Firefox, if there is ever a QR tag in a
              > site the browser finds. What I'd like is something that works with
              > a webcam, or with a scanned image, since I normally see QR tags in
              > magazines.
              > Since these codes are designed to work with iPhones (I think) it is
              > not very likely that they harbor PC viruses.

              Don't bet on it. Malware is rampant for iOS-based products and it is
              rapidly encroaching on Android and Linux, too, because the very valid
              assumption is people using those products are prime time fair game and
              have money that can be easily stolen. It's happening NOW.

              Cybercriminals are making a fortune having their malware distributed
              and (ab)used worldwide.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 26, 2013
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
                > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Doug <dmcgarrett@> wrote:
                > > [...]
                > > I _did_ look in Google. It points to something in Ubuntu, which I
                > > don't (and won't) use. There is no QR decoder in PCLOS repos.
                > > There is an ENcoder only. I also found ZBAR, which I failed to
                > > make work in WINE, and a plug-in for Firefox, if there is ever a
                > > QR tag in a site the browser finds. What I'd like is something
                > > that works with a webcam, or with a scanned image, since I
                > > normally see QR tags in magazines.
                > > [...]
                >
                > I've used PcLinuxOS LXDE and I thought there was a way to install
                > files from Debian in it or from other RPM distros. I thought their
                > Magazine/Newsletter might have already had an article about this
                > topic, too.

                Hi Joan,

                Pages at some of the URLs I cited in my [direct] reply to Doug show how
                to use webcams and scanners to decode QR codes.

                Some of those are written in Java and Python which don't require ANY
                installation other than placing the file(s) in some directory.

                My experiences with Python are excellent, especially the cellphone SIM
                reader/writer kit I built and wrote about here noting the identical
                Python program works perfectly on *BSD, Linux, Solaris, UNIX and
                Windows and presumably MacOS X too (ThadLABS is an Apple-free zone):

                Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 pm
                Raspberry Pi badges [ FYI: that's a computer, not fruit :-) ]